Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Inattention and bitterness

Inattention and bitterness
July 26, 2009, 12:58:16 PM
Two traits I've noticed in this modern society:

1. Inattention. Nobody wants to pay attention to anything but what they are doing that they like doing. This means that behaviors are tolerated which cause bigger problems. Even more, people are inattentive to things they are doing that they do not enjoy, like driving, or putting away trash, and so on.

2. Bitterness. This society is massively bitter. People always must blame someone else, always must have an enemy, and a reason why it's not their fault, yet they also are perpetually angry at something and willing to take this out on others, especially if it raises their own sense of importance.

I point directly to utilitarianism/functionalism as the cause, but it's interesting that both of those are rooted in the desire for individual equality. If we're all equal, "working hard" is all we've got left.

Looks like the proles/drones made themselves a hell out of heaven, as lower intelligence types always do.

Re: Inattention and bitterness
July 26, 2009, 04:15:19 PM
People don't analyze what they hear in part due to laziness, but also because they may be forced to take a stand. And why bother anyway? If anyone dares challenge the establishment, whether religious or secular, they are pummeled with assaults on their character and motives. They are labeled intolerant, narrow-minded, or bigoted. So indifference to evil takes root in our desire to avoid conflict and willingness to compromise.

http://www.trosch.org/for/keene9fg.htm

the establishment = crowdism

July 27, 2009, 03:33:42 AM
You call it in inattentiveness and bitterness.  I found it to be more along the lines of ignorance and apathy.  "I don't know and I don't care."

July 27, 2009, 04:04:20 AM
You call it in inattentiveness and bitterness.  I found it to be more along the lines of ignorance and apathy.  "I don't know and I don't care."

And on that matter, I've always found a persons apathetic behavior to be based upon a matter that involves looking at the bigger picture of sorts, and not understanding or knowing how to solve the issues at hand, thus taking the easy route out and justifying their actions by buying a new plasma screen television from Wal-Mart, Always low prices, Always.

As for ignorance, it all seems to just go hand in hand with believing they aren't part of any problems modern society faces and doing the Christian thing, turning the other cheek to it.

July 27, 2009, 12:17:04 PM
There's also a deliberate effort on the part of the media to keep people focused on circuses.

For instance there's almost a complete news blackout regarding real events in Afghanistan.  The level to which the media have intentionally ignored it is unprecedented.

July 27, 2009, 02:40:30 PM
And on that matter, I've always found a persons apathetic behavior to be based upon a matter that involves looking at the bigger picture of sorts, and not understanding or knowing how to solve the issues at hand, thus taking the easy route out and justifying their actions by buying a new plasma screen television from Wal-Mart, Always low prices, Always.

That is why it is important to follow up analysis with solutions.