Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Too many friggin people in a finite space breaks the bank

Browsing through that article, I found that state park funding was cut as well. Disappointing. Why do that? Seems very counter productive to me.

There are a couple more articles for a larger perspective. Civil society itself, not just the economy, is straining .

What The People prefer to tune in to for information about their world:

Corporate and political influence on newsrooms, along with the conflation of news and entertainment, has created what Rather called “the dumbing down and sleazing up of what we see on the news.”

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/135834

Directionless revolutionary mob mentality:

Screaming constituents, protesters dragged out by the cops, congressmen fearful for their safety — welcome to the new town-hall-style meeting, the once-staid forum that is rapidly turning into a house of horrors for members of Congress.

On the eve of the August recess, members are reporting meetings that have gone terribly awry, marked by angry, sign-carrying mobs and disruptive behavior. In at least one case, a congressman has stopped holding town hall events because the situation has spiraled so far out of control.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090731/pl_politico/25646

Cheap labor and high demand for cheap housing benefit only the top 1%. 

Immigration is something I'm vehemently against.  I wouldn't be at all sorry if all illegals were given two years in forced labor camps before deportation.  Seems like an elegant solution to the problem to me.

Exactly what of moral relevance turns on the notion of a nation-state such that you or anybody else is justified in restricting somebody's freedom of association? Somehow your and your fellow citizens' "right" to an arbitrarily-set price floor for labor trumps other people's right to sell their labor at whatever price they wish and to whomever they wish? And I do not see how it is the case that all or even most illegal immigrants have done anything to warrant something as extreme as forced labor (but of course, you sound really metal when you advocate such stuff.)

Let me explain.

I've paid taxes in this shithole of a country for X decades.  Furthermore, I was born here.  To some extent, this does (or should) represent some degree of buy-in.  I have invested in the social and physical and economic infrastructure of this country for a nontrivial number of years.

In what way does it benefit me to have large numbers of people from third-world countries allowed in?  In investment terms, allowing illegals in is akin to dilution of stocks.  When companies begin printing shares, it dilutes the value of the shares held by present investors.

This is a problem.

Exactly what of moral relevance turns on the notion of a nation-state such that you or anybody else is justified in restricting somebody's freedom of association?

Do I have a right not to wake up in the morning and find a family of six mexicans bathing in my pool?  A better question-- do I have the right to not have value extracted from the economy that I depend on, or to not pay taxes that go to health and social programs for people who were not even BORN HERE?

There is this thing called the border.  Part of the contract involved with paying taxes has to do with something called the military.  Part of the duty of the military is to enforce the border. 

Taxes in the United States are somewhere around 30%.  Fully half of US tax revenues go to the military.  This means that 15% of your working time, you are effectively performing slave labor for the military.

If the military are not effectively enforcing the border, they are not fulfilling their end of the contract.  That is a problem.

And I do not see how it is the case that all or even most illegal immigrants have done anything to warrant something as extreme as forced labor

The goal would be keeping them out.  My guess is that they would very rapidly catch on and stop coming here.  A secondary goal would be extracting value from them to counteract the value extracted from the United States by illegal aliens. 

If you have a problem with all this, I suggest that you move to Mexico or somewhere else where the borders are porous.  There are numerous other issues with having porous borders-- the economic and social impact are just part of the problem.

Do you like economic collapse?  You must-- you're apparently in favor of unrestricted immigration.  The areas hardest hit by the current recession are those with large numbers of illegal aliens.  This is in small part due to other factors but the economic drain induced by illegals is substantial.

but of course, you sound really metal when you advocate such stuff.

You sound like someone who doesn't think very hard before talking.  You don't know me and you have no idea of what my political or social ideas are other than what I've posted here, which is only a tiny portion of my views.

If you have a problem with enforcing the borders, I hear Mexico City is nice this time of year.

What right do you have to have locks on your door?  Aren't you limiting the freedom of movement of nice Mexican vatos?

Also, for whatever it's worth, at one time I would have agreed with you.  Not anymore.

It's all a question of prioritizing. People need to put food on the table and have some safety from corruption. But, other people have both aesthetic and inner values they cherish that give life meaning, otherwise they see living itself as pointless and instead shoot up meth and plug in the playstation. Whos needs are more important? They both literally sustain each group's continued existence. The one is physical, the other existential or spiritual.

Screaming constituents, protesters dragged out by the cops, congressmen fearful for their safety welcome to the new town-hall-style meeting, the once-staid forum that is rapidly turning into a house of horrors for members of Congress.

On the eve of the August recess, members are reporting meetings that have gone terribly awry, marked by angry, sign-carrying mobs and disruptive behavior. In at least one case, a congressman has stopped holding town hall events because the situation has spiraled so far out of control.

It's worth mentioning that these are Potemkin demonstrations arranged and organized by GOP apparatchiks.