Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Fallacy of Relativism

The Fallacy of Relativism
August 09, 2009, 04:00:30 AM
All ideas are equal.
All cultures are equal.
All people are equal.
All people, ideas and cultures are entitled to kid glove treatment-- walking on eggs in fear of offending someone.

NONE of this is true.

Re: The Fallacy of Relativism
August 09, 2009, 02:16:33 PM
Relativism:  The belief that all truth claims are relative...except for the claim that all truth claims are relative, which is exempt from any and all criticism, and must be unquestionably accepted by all OR ELSE!!!

August 09, 2009, 03:26:18 PM
All ideas are equal.
All cultures are equal.
All people are equal.
All people, ideas and cultures are entitled to kid glove treatment-- walking on eggs in fear of offending someone.

NONE of this is true.

Relativism has nothing to do with the theory of relativity.

It's just social logic. If you want to make others do shit for you, tell them they're equal and everyone's accepted and we'll all be happy together.

August 09, 2009, 10:36:31 PM
All ideas are equal.
All cultures are equal.
All people are equal.

NONE of this is true.

Your point?
I agree, none of it is true.
I'm just wondering what your point is.

August 09, 2009, 11:08:40 PM
Relativism has nothing to do with the theory of relativity.

August 11, 2009, 12:36:51 AM

All cultures are equal.

It's very hard to differentiate within the best cultures, but I agree with this. One is supposed to praise any indigenous,  three years old child's plasticine-like figure, in comparison with the work by another contemporary cultures.

Here's an example of prehispanic, contemporary cultures (classical period). Check the inequality between them:
Prehispanic west Mexico sculpture
Mayan sculpture

August 11, 2009, 01:20:17 AM
Patronizing ethnic cultures is an oligarchy securing its political dominion by using minorities as a dividing wedge. They don't subscribe to equality either.

Despite a good deal of play with such ethnic heritages as those of American Indians, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc., the real “cultural” bonds that discipline these different groups are those created and deployed by the managerial regime—through government bureaucracy, educational manipulation, mass routinization by the economy of managerial capitalism, and disciplining by the mass media.  Managerial elites can clearly afford to patronize tribal, often paleolithic, practices such as musical styles, clothing, cuisine, and religious rituals; there is little danger that such folkways will seriously interfere with real managerial control and interests, and the elite neither expects nor desires them to do so. The main use of such diversions is to embarrass and discredit their Western counterparts as repressive, genocidal, boring, and uncreative, not really to elevate primitive and Third World cultural strains into the dominant culture created and controlled by the managerial class.

http://www.theoccidentalquarterly.com/archives/vol3no2/sf-gottfrieda.html

August 18, 2009, 12:59:53 AM
you're attacking a vulgar relativism no one on the left whose opinion matters or carries any weight believes in. that someone doesn't buy the occidental supremacy narrative doesn't mean they literally buy into a cartoonish MUD HUTS = VERSAILLES strawman

August 19, 2009, 05:28:09 PM
Relativism reduces every element of absoluteness to relativity while making a completely illogical exception in favor of this reduction itself. Fundamentally it consists in propounding the claim that there is no truth as if this were truth or in declaring it to be absolutely true that there is nothing but the relatively true; one might just as well say that there is no language or write that there is no writing. In short, every idea is reduced to a relativity of some sort, whether psychological, historical, or social; but the assertion nullifies itself by the fact that it too presents itself as a psychological, historical, or social relativity. The assertion nullifies itself if it is true and by nullifying itself logically proves thereby that it is false; its initial absurdity lies in the implicit claim to be unique in escaping, as if by enchantment, from a relativity that is declared to be the only possibility.

The axiom of relativism is that “one can never escape from human subjectivity”; if this is the case, the statement itself possesses no objective value, but falls under its own verdict. It is abundantly evident that man can escape subjectivity, for otherwise he would not be man; and the proof of this possibility is that we are able to conceive of both the subjective and the surpassing of the subjective. This subjectivity would not even be conceivable for a man who was totally enclosed in his subjectivity; an animal lives its subjectivity but does not conceive it, for unlike man it does not possess the gift of objectivity.

[...]

But the object of relativism—what is at stake in its claims—is not always truth as such; it can be any expression or modality of truth, especially a moral or aesthetic value; in this way all rectitude may be reduced to some contingent and more or less insignificant factor, and thus the door may be opened to all manner of misunderstandings, degradations, and deceptions.

The Contradiction of Relativism by Frithjof Schuon

August 20, 2009, 08:40:39 AM
Relativism is another form of the perspective fallacy:

"Everything is relative, but my perspective, which must be applied absolutely and then adjusted to allow for others to be in my social debt."

In other words, all is in flux but our own views.

August 24, 2009, 06:30:34 PM
The origin of relativism:

This seems to be one of those deals where they've confused correlation and causation. Rather than thinking, "Maybe kids with high self-esteem feel good about themselves because they get good grades in school and have lots of friends," they decided that it's the other way around, that they succeed because they have self-esteem. So they tried to teach people to feel good about themselves for no other reason than pure entitlement, figuring the actual reasons for feeling good about themselves would follow at some later date.

http://www.cracked.com/article/85_6-bullshit-facts-about-psychology-that-everyone-believes/

"Because I am an individual, I measure reality in its effects on me;
This means I attribute to it a universal cause of being targeted toward me;
That means I project the same thing onto others, and so reverse cause/effect so they feel confident as I want to"

Modern psychology in a nutshell.