Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Write a metal review for ANUS?

Re: Write a metal review for ANUS?
August 17, 2009, 08:21:02 AM
Be harsh if you want, but try to find some good albums to review as well.  I know it's difficult.

Yes, and for the sake of utility, it tends to have more value for the reader. I see the interest in also creating the eugenic/sadistic reviews to demonstrate that there really is a wide gap these days (if not before) between the excellent and the weak, but they hardly make anyone change their mind about a band, or introduce new thoughts except in the case the reviewer has truly been able to strip an overrated album to its core essence to show its mediocrity.

August 17, 2009, 04:30:35 PM
Be harsh if you want, but try to find some good albums to review as well.  I know it's difficult.

Yes, and for the sake of utility, it tends to have more value for the reader. I see the interest in also creating the eugenic/sadistic reviews to demonstrate that there really is a wide gap these days (if not before) between the excellent and the weak, but they hardly make anyone change their mind about a band, or introduce new thoughts except in the case the reviewer has truly been able to strip an overrated album to its core essence to show its mediocrity.

When there are good albums to be had, that's a great sentiment. It really is. It's always easier to tell other people what to do when you make a big assumption like, "There are good albums out there!"

But with a handful of exceptions, there are not -- and so all we have is overrated albums to review, and notations as to what's crap so that people don't waste time on it.

Maybe they need another category of one-line reviews, like the old Scandinavian mags used to do, but those weren't informative as to why.

August 17, 2009, 11:19:47 PM
I don't get it.

I don't want to single you out personally, but you're a good example of this "syndrome."

You've come here for years with that "There's no good albums, and when there are they are just exceptions" tact - it's gone way beyond just being tiresome, now it's counter-productive.

If it's that bad for you - why not just find a new hobby?

And don't start the whole fatalism and giving up shit, it's not as if you ever found something in Metal in the first place the way you're talking.

August 18, 2009, 12:20:53 AM
Honestly, now that people here are talking about metal possibly coming back strong again, I think the sadistic reviews are needed now more than ever.  If there really is a place for good metal to be had, then we need to raise the bar high and make sure not to be led in by the shit.

And seriously people, no more of this "Well Cradle's first album is alright" garbage anymore.  We have Beherit now.  We don't need shitty also-rans.

August 18, 2009, 12:50:11 AM
You've come here for years with that "There's no good albums, and when there are they are just exceptions" tact - it's gone way beyond just being tiresome, now it's counter-productive.

What he's saying is still true, though: there's a few gems, and too much rubble. Maybe some people like to dwell in rubble...smart people don't.

It doesn't really matter how much you listen to metal. What really matters is a site that helps those who seek good metal ... and who will be thankful for every review, be it a bashing or a detailed one (of actually tolerable metal).

August 18, 2009, 01:15:11 AM
Here's a great and funny piece on review methodology. 

We need more reverence for zero with regard to everything:

Yes, zero. That itself merits a word or two.

I know a lot of reviewers rating on a one hundred-point scale, here and elsewhere, think of a blank tape as being a zero. Anything the band does right would be considered an improvement over that.

I find that to be wrongheaded. I rather like listening to nothing. I spend more time listening to nothing than I do any form of music. In fact, I’m listening to nothing right now. I’d give a blank tape about a fifty. I don’t put much thought into the ratings I assign, but as a very rough rule of thumb, if I give an album a rating of less than fifty, assume I would rather turn the stereo off and sit in silence than trudge through it yet again.

More than fifty means that I enjoy listening to it, to one degree or another. One hundred would mean that the album does everything right, of course. Zero, on the other hand, would mean that an album does everything wrong – that it is the absolute inversion of everything that is right and good about music, a total abomination that should be purged from existence.

(The above was, I believe, written by a former poster on this forum.  We would love for you to pipe up if still around.)

August 18, 2009, 02:37:52 AM

And if it's true?

Well, we should be polite and avoid conflict, make things look good -- why bother.

I speak of many things, and you've honed in on the 2% that offends you. If you want to disprove it, please provide to me an accounting of what percentage of my posts here are on the topic you mentioned.

That's correct: you just lost an argument.

August 18, 2009, 05:56:54 AM
It's always easier to tell other people what to do when you make a big assumption like, "There are good albums out there!"

And why wouldn't there be? As far as I understand, the discussions or the reviews are not limited by genre, or release date.

In most metal forums and sites, people become unreceptive to good albums because if it's a popular one (such as, say, new Motorhead) they assume they basically know it already without having heard it. Might be true or not. If, on the other hand, it's an obscure one (such as, say, new Nyogthaeblisz), they assume it is being mentioned only to show off knowledge about strange bands. Might be true or not.

In contrast to these usual metal forums and sites, I usually think of ANUS especially as one that has a capacity to become excited about new, surprising music and wish it to stay that way. To promote selectively is to promote more, but the original post was a parody of "we hate everything you like", which probably is the common false impression from a superficial glance at ANUS sidebar.

August 18, 2009, 06:04:54 AM
To promote selectively is to promote more, but the original post was a parody of "we hate everything you like", which probably is the common false impression from a superficial glance at ANUS sidebar.

Yeah, but the music in question is terrible. Not calling a spade a spade is, well, dishonest.

August 18, 2009, 02:45:50 PM
Here's a great and funny piece on review methodology. 

We need more reverence for zero with regard to everything:

Yes, zero. That itself merits a word or two.

I know a lot of reviewers rating on a one hundred-point scale, here and elsewhere, think of a blank tape as being a zero. Anything the band does right would be considered an improvement over that.

I find that to be wrongheaded. I rather like listening to nothing. I spend more time listening to nothing than I do any form of music. In fact, Im listening to nothing right now. Id give a blank tape about a fifty. I dont put much thought into the ratings I assign, but as a very rough rule of thumb, if I give an album a rating of less than fifty, assume I would rather turn the stereo off and sit in silence than trudge through it yet again.

More than fifty means that I enjoy listening to it, to one degree or another. One hundred would mean that the album does everything right, of course. Zero, on the other hand, would mean that an album does everything wrong that it is the absolute inversion of everything that is right and good about music, a total abomination that should be purged from existence.

(The above was, I believe, written by a former poster on this forum.  We would love for you to pipe up if still around.)

I like this.  It's as if you start at zero degrees, which is peace, and then the recorded chaos can take you in either direction.

August 19, 2009, 01:14:34 AM

And if it's true?

Well, we should be polite and avoid conflict, make things look good -- why bother.

I speak of many things, and you've honed in on the 2% that offends you. If you want to disprove it, please provide to me an accounting of what percentage of my posts here are on the topic you mentioned.

What good is a percentage? The attitude that 'this is all bad' (unless of course it suits some agenda to make yourself look clever), whether it be prominent or completely stagnant is still fucking there.

Maybe you were just having a bad day and decided to go on a rant displaying your inferiority complex.

But hey, if Metal is all bad and you're wasting your time with crappy albums then why are you still listening to it? Perhaps you should spend more time listening to Classical so you can come back in a few years ranting and raving that only Beethoven, Bach and Mozart are worth listening to, because you know, they're the only ones who displayed Romantic spirit... the rest are just phonies trying to lock into something they didn't understand. Isn't that how people like you work?

August 19, 2009, 06:38:59 AM
Perhaps you should spend more time listening to Classical

lol

http://www.last.fm/user/Conservationist

August 19, 2009, 08:44:51 PM

And if it's true?

What good is a percentage? The attitude that 'this is all bad' (unless of course it suits some agenda to make yourself look clever), whether it be prominent or completely stagnant is still fucking there.

Maybe you were just having a bad day and decided to go on a rant displaying your inferiority complex.

But hey, if Metal is all bad and you're wasting your time with crappy albums then why are you still listening to it? Perhaps you should spend more time listening to Classical so you can come back in a few years ranting and raving that only Beethoven, Bach and Mozart are worth listening to, because you know, they're the only ones who displayed Romantic spirit... the rest are just phonies trying to lock into something they didn't understand. Isn't that how people like you work?

I take it you love the emperor's FAAAAABULOUS new clothes?

August 19, 2009, 09:02:20 PM

And if it's true?

I can't speak for others here, but I don't find all metal bad. In fact, I'm rather indifferent to what I don't enjoy. I listen to what I enjoy out of metal (which is, admittedly, very little) and the other stuff is just that, other stuff. If other people would like to concern themselves with it, I'm fine with it. There isn't a negative bone in my body towards music that I don't enjoy, because frankly I don't have enough time to concern myself with it. I have my reasons for enjoying what I do, and most even attack those directly. I've found over the years that people are not looking for someone who doesn't have a negative opinion of their tastes, they're looking for someone who agrees with them. For instance, I can compliment someone's taste and say that I simply don't enjoy it, and they will not stop arguing with me and declaring me close-minded unless I feign enjoyment of whatever it is they're pushing. I hope that's not what you're up to.

August 19, 2009, 10:00:16 PM

And if it's true?

ANUS is the greatest place to learn/discuss metal, they re even looking for people to join them, why don t you join in and expose your ideas/reviews to get discussed instead of complaining?