Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Write a metal review for ANUS?

Re: Write a metal review for ANUS?
August 20, 2009, 12:15:36 AM
I take it you love the emperor's FAAAAABULOUS new clothes?
But he has nothing on?

August 20, 2009, 12:18:41 AM
ANUS is the greatest place to learn/discuss metal, they re even looking for people to join them, why don t you join in and expose your ideas/reviews to get discussed instead of complaining?
I'm pretty sure I've done that before. Your turn now, kk?

August 20, 2009, 08:19:52 AM
ANUS is the greatest place to learn/discuss metal, they re even looking for people to join them, why don t you join in and expose your ideas/reviews to get discussed instead of complaining?

...And with the "NO U," the discussion becomes dead.

Hence we see the problems of the whole "Stop being so negative, start being positive, so I can be negative about your negativity" attack: endless reflexivity.

August 20, 2009, 09:19:36 AM

Hence we see the problems of the whole "Stop being so negative, start being positive, so I can be negative about your negativity" attack: endless reflexivity.

Well, other's negativity will play out its course, and I'm perfectly fine with putting a stop to it if it's worth the expenditure of resources. I react indifferently to bad metal because I find no desire to support it. I'd rather let it starve after it depletes itself of novelty than to complain about it. I don't think that's what most of the writers at the DLA and ANUS do with both music and prevailing methods of thinking. In fact, much of the writing here gave me some form and definition to thoughts that were spinning through my head since about age seven, but due to my feeling alienated was much more negative about. This led me to achieve very little because I perceived most areas where I could have an effect as "products of the mob," which I felt was merit enough not to have anything to do with things like athletics, community organizations, and social events. It wasn't until about half-way through highschool, with some influence from writings at this website, that I finally decided to drop the tantrum, and by extension stop attempting to argue perception with those I felt were responsible for a terrible world. This ties into my point: a negative mindset distracts from achieving goals, and I choose to let negative mindsets starve themselves before greatly concerning myself with them.

It's sort of like deathcore: fun to note the distance of the music from its supposed parent-genre, but bands who create music of enduring quality do a far better-job than the disenchanted reviewers at Teufel's Tomb.

August 21, 2009, 04:35:37 AM

Sorry, that was an underhanded joke with the "NO U" comment.

You missed a link in your chain. You're also telling the bands to stop being negative in a matter of words (through commentary, however undirect). It's a viscious cycle, huh? Endless reflexivity indeed!

I don't know... if I did decide to start writing again I don't think I could be bothered trawling through the newer, low tier stuff and getting disgruntled about it lacking any emphatic quality. I'd perhaps like to explore different ways of expressing what made the classic stuff the way it was. I don't think anyone has ever nailed that, sometimes we're too scientific in our approach, sometimes we're too romantic. I also find that sometimes we try to be too educating in our writing, and other times when we're being reflective we try to be too vague and esoteric 'if you don't get this you're obviously not elite and can't listen to it.'

Hmmm.

At least that's the feeling I got after recently re-reading some stuff that both others and myself had written 2-3 years ago. And even some more recent editions too.

Oh, and re-writing Prozak spiels and applying them to completely different albums like the original poster (and too many others, mind you) gets boring. You're witty, but not exactly zealous and you offer no real solutions or new information. Which isn't useful in a world where I get information bytes shoved in my face every where I go.

August 22, 2009, 05:26:58 AM
You're also telling the bands to stop being negative in a matter of words (through commentary, however undirect).

You misunderstood: I'm telling them to be less passive.

I don't know... if I did decide to start writing again I don't think I could be bothered trawling through the newer, low tier stuff and getting disgruntled about it lacking any emphatic quality. I'd perhaps like to explore different ways of expressing what made the classic stuff the way it was. I don't think anyone has ever nailed that, sometimes we're too scientific in our approach, sometimes we're too romantic. I also find that sometimes we try to be too educating in our writing, and other times when we're being reflective we try to be too vague and esoteric 'if you don't get this you're obviously not elite and can't listen to it.'

There are so many fuck-ups in this paragraph I may get bored listing them all. First, your last line presupposes a partial case is the whole -- never so. Second, you make assumptions about "empathic quality" that miss the actual topic. Finally, you assume inherent value to expressing what made the classic stuff classic outside of rigorous analysis. Finally, you've phrased the whole thing as a personal preference, not an argument.

You're witty, but not exactly zealous and you offer no real solutions or new information. Which isn't useful in a world where I get information bytes shoved in my face every where I go.

Either that, or it's there to counter that problem by making a definitive resource on which of the hyped are worth listening to. After all, both Woodtemple and Beherit Engram were hyped by others, but now are confirmed by this site -- along with some test data for comparison. Finally, the reviews in the first part of this thread are a good way to fend off the constant hype machine. Maybe you're thinking too much of yourself.

August 22, 2009, 02:30:01 PM
So you're now saying that passivity isn't negative? Maybe it is you that misunderstand me, or maybe you don't want to.

Your second paragraph really says nor proves anything, either. It bores me as much as what I wrote bored you. It's riddled with errors. I don't see any assumptions about emphatic quality. And please, you go on about me phrasing through personal preference (lolwat) and then go on about how ANUS confirmed the new Beherit and Woodtemple albums (they're both utter shit, by the way) as if it even has anything to do with the fucking argument, or proves anything but some cocksure allegiance you have with the site. Yes, because ANUS is truth and not personal preference (homosexual innuendo intended). I also read in the Bible that God exists. The bit about 'test data' is also amusing. Are you serious?

Since when did anyone here care about hype any way?

In all honesty, we're both full of ourselves.

August 22, 2009, 05:06:48 PM
So you're now saying that passivity isn't negative? Maybe it is you that misunderstand me, or maybe you don't want to.

That wasn't true before, but now the latter is. Rather, I'm apathetic to bad logic.

Life is simple: fight the stupid, praise the good. Best of luck.

September 06, 2009, 07:09:32 PM
The Necrophobic review shows dominion over language, but when the writer decides to get in touch with his (assuredly it's a man) feminine side, I will be impressed.

Too many people try to say more than is necessary. One-line reviews work best.

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane: Melodic metal, like their first album but more of a pop song format.

September 12, 2009, 05:18:12 AM
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul: Old At the Gates, as made by Metallica at command of the Coca-Cola company.

September 18, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Production: Exalted, distinct, yet streamlined and focused.

Review: Two note staccato power chords erupt in form of gyrating columns of rhythm propelled by the abutment of muted strum - like an automaton doomsday prophet stuck in a perpetual loop, in turn, imbued with direction by brute shards of hoarse shout; these Anselmorations efficiently bounce guerrilla fashion, in and out of bursts of conflict until the robotic muscle is subdued into warlike anthemic motif-assertions of essential rebellion, ruthlessly driven home by the pulse of the underlying mechanical heartbeat.

September 18, 2009, 05:23:42 PM
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Review: "I hate you, dad!" metal.

September 18, 2009, 09:47:49 PM
Has anyone ever tried to submit a review for the TImeghoul demos? Those are some seriously quality shit IMO. If not id be willing to write up a semi decent review for them and submit it to the site.