Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why Local Bands Fail

Why Local Bands Fail
February 24, 2006, 01:29:05 AM
 Welcome to Houston, where no great rock band escapes alive. Haaga's is the story of just one glorious failure, how one of the best rock CDs of this millennium went unheard, but there are plenty more lesser tales of woe where that came from.

Recently, an L.A.-based Web site called Musicbizadvice.com printed a list of "20 Reasons Why Musicians Get Stuck at the Local or Regional Level." Most Houston bands make about ten of these mistakes on a daily basis. Either the bands have no goals, or their goals are poorly defined, or each member has different goals. (See the scenario above.) Other bands change styles with each album. Still others seldom rehearse (again, see above) or rarely put much thought or effort into their live shows, while another contingent believes fervently that they will be "discovered," fairy tale-style, even if they don't bother to put up a Web site or publicize their gigs in any way.

article

Michael Haaga = former dead horse vocalist/guitarist/songwriter.

Utopia_Kidnaped

Re: Why Local Bands Fail
February 24, 2006, 08:49:04 PM
Dead Horse are a great band. Is Haaga's solo album actually worth looking into?

February 25, 2006, 02:10:59 AM
Is Haaga's solo album actually worth looking into?

Samples here:
http://www.michaelhaaga.com/

Aesthetically, it's goofy; I like much of what he does, but cannot see myself listening to this. However, I hate rock music, jazz, blues and most country/folk and prefer classical music or structured neoclassical like Kraftwerk/Tangerine Dream/Burzum, so I'm not your most representative listener!

February 27, 2006, 05:49:17 AM
The people I have known in local bands have failed in part because they were lazy. They were not willing to isolate or discipline themselves to excel. And they were clueless with the organizational/business aspect of it. They would have failed at anything they did.

February 27, 2006, 10:09:54 AM
The majority of local bands I have seen that have failed have done so because they don't do anything new or interesting and keep saying things to the effect of "support you local bands". Which seems to work for some people causing them to get enough support to remain active, at least for a while. But if all you have going for you as that you come from the same area as you fans, well, that's a somewhat limiting fanbase eh.

March 02, 2006, 04:31:41 AM
"support you local bands"

Over socialization leads to shallow behavior and could explain why so many local bands are just...

shit.