Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Religion?

Re: Religion?
August 27, 2009, 03:38:38 PM
I always called it the "Give me a break already" mentality, to which Nietzsche would surely reply that anyone who wants a break whenever things get rough, hates life and should end their's as soon as possible, giving them their so-wanted break.

September 03, 2009, 10:45:29 PM
Very few people actually find any kind of solace in life, and it's usually because they go straight to option c:

(a) I live for myself
(b) I live for the herd

or...

(c) I live for beauty through harmony with natural order, from which meaning is derived

September 04, 2009, 09:30:22 PM
...remember The King...

someone asked a while back (either in this thread or that other religion thread that kind of got derailed):  why do we need the God-concept, at all?  To me, the usefulness of the God CONCEPT is that it completes the grand hierarchy of the universe.  otherwise, what is at the top?  it is good for man to have to submit to something, ultimately.  The God concept represents a perspective beyond all perspectives.  If you want to call this "nature," I'm good with that, but "God" seems even more vast.  just musing.

Visualizing the vastness is a necessary part of picturing oneself in the natural order and how to conform to that natural order in a beneficial way.

September 07, 2009, 02:50:49 PM
For all of the people with opinions about religion, very few people actually have an understanding of any of them.  Imo simply reading the Bible is not enough, the book is 2000+ years old and it is probably impossible for modern people to fully appreciate the context of much of the text.  The most helpful thing to do for people who are actually interested in the study of religions is to read traditional commentaries as well such as those of Pseudo-Dionysius or Ibn-Arabi.  I might add that reading the entire Bible is pretty pointless to anyone except a theology scholar, narrowing it down to one or two representative texts, such as the Gospel of John and Genesis, is a good idea.

September 07, 2009, 09:33:35 PM
Ibn Arabi was a sage, may God be pleased with him and Muhammad (pbuh).

September 13, 2009, 12:43:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noumenon

I don't believe this exists, unless it is defined as "all life itself."

Same thing with God: if God is all, then God is good.

If not, God like this friggin' Noumenon is just another partial truth...

September 13, 2009, 01:07:08 AM

This is straightforward enough, but what is "all"?  I don't think the quest for knowledge is complete until this question is answered.

September 17, 2009, 04:02:04 PM

This is straightforward enough, but what is "all"?  I don't think the quest for knowledge is complete until this question is answered.

P = NP

when P is the square root of zero

you have "all"