Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Black Metal Theory symposium @ Brooklyn, NJ, December 12

Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium

December 12, 2009, 1:00-7:00 p.m
Public Assembly
70 North 6th St.
Brooklyn, NY
Cover charge: $10.00

PAPERS

Erik Butler, “The Counter-Reformation in Stone and Metal: Spiritual Substances”
Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, TBA
Nicola Masciandaro, “Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya”
Benjamin Noys, “‘Remain true to the earth!’: Remarks on the Politics of Black Metal” (in absentia)
Joseph Russo, TBA
Anthony Sciscione, TBA
Niall Scott, “Black Confessions and Absu-lution”
Steven Shakespeare, “The light that illuminates itself, the dark that soils itself: blackened notes from Schelling’s underground”
Aspasia Stephanou, “Black Metal and Evil”
Brandon Stosuy, TBA
Evan Calder Williams, “The Headless Horsemen”
Scott Wilson, “BAsileus philosoPHOrum METaloricum”

ART

Lionel Maunz, sculpture
Nader Sadek, Baptism in Black (Phase II)

Why do you compel me to divulge things that would better remain unknown to you?--Silenus

http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com/

HIDEOUS GNOSIS
Black Metal Theory Symposium
December 12, 2009
The Public Assembly
70 North 6th St
Brooklyn, NY
1:00-7:00 p.m.
$10 cover

A gathering dedicated to the mutual blackening of metal and theory.

I: 1:00-2:15
The Light that Illuminates Itself, the Dark that Soils itself: Blackened Notes from Schelling’s Underground
Steven Shakespeare
The Counter-Reformation in Stone and Metal: Spiritual Substances
Erik Butler
BAsileus philosoPHOrum METaloricum
Scott Wilson
(moderator: Niall Scott)

II: 2:20-3:30
Transcendental Black Metal
Hunter Hunt-Hendrix
Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya
Nicola Masciandaro
Perpetual Rot: Obsessive Cycles of Deterioration
Joseph Russo
(moderator: Steven Shakespeare)

Interlude: 3:30-4:30
Nader Sadek, Baptism in Black (Phase II)

In Sadek’s new performance, the phenomena of cymatics are used as mark-making tools to visualize the sound of a black metal song. "Freezing Moon," a song by the legendary band Mayhem, will be used for this transformation from sound to sight. Sadek, who has no musical training, will attempt to play this song using the guitar utilized on Mayhem’s last US tour as the primary producer of sound. A flesh guitar made from a cast of the band’s guitar will be laid on the cymatics system and used as the subject of this visual recording, affecting its blackened baptism.

Cymatics (from Greek: κῦμα "wave"), also known as modal phenomena, is the study of visible sound and vibration, typically on the surface of a plate, diaphragm, or membrane. Directly visualizing these vibrations involves using sound to excite media often in the form of particles, pastes, and liquids.
Sym-posium (together-drinking)

III: 4:30-5:45
‘Remain true to the earth!’: Remarks on the Politics of Black Metal
Benjamin Noys (in absentia)
The Headless Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Evan Calder Williams
Black Confessions and Absu-lution
Niall Scott
Meaningful Leaning Mess
Brandon Stosuy
(moderator: Scott Wilson)

IV: 5:50-7:00
Black Metal and Evil
Aspasia Stephanou
Red in a World of Black: A Discussion of Blood in Black Metal
Murray Resinski
‘Goatsteps behind my steps’: Black Metal and Ritual Renewal
Anthony Sciscione
(moderator: Erik Butler)

With sculpture by Lionel Maunz
Organized by Nicola Masciandaro

http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com/2009/10/hideous-gnosis-schedule-and-flyers.html

Has a 21st century obnoxious smell to me but maybe some of you want to go there, see what it's about and blaspheme!

You can imagine several orders of hostility toward “Hideous Gnosis,” a six-hour theory symposium on black-metal music that commenced on Saturday afternoon at Public Assembly, a bar and nightclub in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Not just because plenty of people like to make fun of academics discoursing on youth culture but because the subject was something like the music that dare not speak its name.

In a way, black metal runs on a very old cultural motor: loss of faith, and the hysterical fear and sadness that come with it. But it has become one of rock’s best modes of resistance, which is why it persists, why recent books and films about it have found an audience (like Peter Beste’s photo essay “True Norwegian Black Metal” and the documentary “Until the Light Takes Us”) and why it has inspired a new American wave of bands, including Nachtmystium, Krallice, Wolves in the Throne Room and Liturgy.

One commenter on the online-forum page of the metal magazine Decibel summed up a certain kind of black-metal fan’s attitude toward the symposium. This music, the contributor wrote, “has nothing to do with being intellectual and everything to do with not wanting to try and break every little thing apart” for analysis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/arts/music/15metal.html?_r=2

Good insights into black metal.

He discussed how America represents “dignity, freedom, renewal and hybridization,” and suggested that these qualities could be represented in a new form of black metal. He proposed a new rhythm to replace the blast beat: the “burst beat,” by which rhythm can contract and expand in time, as in free jazz. He cited Aaron Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” and Ornette Coleman’s “Skies of America” as philosophical models, with their “joyful experience of the continuity of existence.”

was this guy for real

I like this:

“The black metal event is a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption”
“Black metal has become the sin eater,” he intoned. “It is engaged in transgressive behavior to be rid of it.”

I like this:

“The black metal event is a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption”
“Black metal has become the sin eater,” he intoned. “It is engaged in transgressive behavior to be rid of it.”

I like it but don't agree with it.

Black metal is not trying to get rid of transgressive acts; it's trying to make our philosophy of life include them, in the right context.

None of these guys murder their cats, but they might just kill a christian or politician. Things to ponder.

I like this:

I like it but don't agree with it.

Black metal is not trying to get rid of transgressive acts; it's trying to make our philosophy of life include them, in the right context.

None of these guys murder their cats, but they might just kill a christian or politician. Things to ponder.

heh, I read this article again and it seems I misunderstood what that final "it" in the last quoted sentence was referring to.  a slightly confusing way for that speaker to write his sentence, but I think you're reading it correctly.  in other words:  "it is engaged in transgressive behavior to be rid of transgressive behavior."  In that case, I DO think the speaker is off.  Black metal is more "holistic" than that and doesn't want to "get rid" of ANYTHING (in the same sense that Nietzsche says he wants to say "Yes" to everything).

here's the quote again, this time with everything in between:
“The black metal event is a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption,” he said. It is, he added, “a cleaning up of the mess of others.” He invoked the old English tradition of sin eating by means of burial cakes, in which a loaf of bread was put on a funeral bier or a corpse, and a paid member of the community would eat the bread, representing sin, to absolve and comfort the deceased.

What I more or less agree with is the general idea that black metal is a confession of sorts, without the need of redemption.  I don't think that black metal is the "sin eater" in the Christian sense of sin, but after I listen to say, 'Under a Funeral Moon,' or 'Burzum s/t' I definitely feel "cleansed."

Maybe some of you would be interested in this, for whatever reason: audio of the "Hideous Gnosis" black metal symposium.

http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com/2009/12/black-metal-theory-symposium-i-2009.html