Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Movies replace reality

Movies replace reality
August 18, 2009, 03:37:15 AM

A new study shows that even students, with facts staring them in the face, tend to substitute Hollywood fiction for historical fact in their minds.

"What we found is that there's something really special about watching a film that lets people retain information from that film, even when they had read a contradictory account in the textbook," said Andrew Butler, a psychology researcher at Washington University in St. Louis during the time he and his colleagues conducted the study.

But when the film's information contradicted the text, students often wrongly recalled the misinformation up to half the time. Many students expressed their wrong information confidently, and sometimes even misattributed the source of their information as coming from the text, rather than from the film.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32387123/ns/health-behavior/

Video looks like memories or dreams, so we trust it more than words, which we have to interpret.

This is one of the scarier aspects of modern control: they don't have to force us to do anything. They just call it entertainment, and we repeat it like Pavlovian speech monkeys.

Re: Movies replace reality
August 18, 2009, 04:11:27 AM
Any media that attempts to mimic reality and impose "stories" is garbage. If it is idealistic, leave it as such, otherwise scrap it (romance, action, comedy, drama, et cetera). What the fuck is the point of watching something about "reality"?

August 18, 2009, 05:23:38 AM
Any media that attempts to mimic reality and impose "stories" is garbage.
Yeap, agreed. Same goes with those reality shows even though it has nothing to do with movies.

August 18, 2009, 11:34:02 AM
This is one of the scarier aspects of modern control: they don't have to force us to do anything. They just call it entertainment, and we repeat it like Pavlovian speech monkeys.

Some fellow students do this openly when we're talking about a certain topic. At some point, they come up with a TV analogy. You know, those who argue that TV in general is crap, but there were some good programs which they wouldn't miss? I always looked down on such people. But even if annoying, at least they are honest, because they admit they're talking TV. The rest swallows the propaganda silently, as the study indicates. Scary, indeed.

August 18, 2009, 02:48:59 PM
I was watching a movie the other day, and I realized that anyone who lives their lives by movies would think that a woman can not camp in the woods alone without being raped, as if the woods are filled with rapists waiting for women campers or something, yet it would probably never happen.  More demonizing of nature.

August 18, 2009, 11:16:56 PM
Any media that attempts to mimic reality and impose "stories" is garbage. If it is idealistic, leave it as such, otherwise scrap it (romance, action, comedy, drama, et cetera). What the fuck is the point of watching something about "reality"?
What are you saying, exactly? Cameras are no different from stone, wood, canvas or even staff paper in their use as media for representations. Cinema is a perfectly valid artform but the fact that it largely remains a pretty cost-intensive medium will mean that the ones with their hands on the pursestrings are the ones who decide what gets made. Are you seriously opposed to all fiction ever?

August 18, 2009, 11:49:28 PM
Ever watch Baraka? It's the same as photography. The film does not mimic reality. It may be suggestive, but it is reality. Since when does fiction such as sci-fi and fantasy attempt to mimic reality? That seems like a paradox to me. Anyway, we all know that even though sci-fi and fantasy don't fall into this categorization, it doesn't mean it's inherently good. What we look for in all forms of media is their ability to capture meaning beyond what is apparent.

I should have been more clear with my final point. Why watch a movie about a realistic situation when you can just do something outside that is more interesting and that you can influence?

August 19, 2009, 12:37:44 AM
I've noticed people increasingly adopting stereotypical emotional or personal narratives from movies instead of actually experiencing and defending ones personal knowledge of real life themselves. This is incredibly frustrating when trying to converse with someone who when called on to explain or defend their beliefs simply winds up in disbelief that you don't also adopt and accept the unreal narratives everyone else doesn't have any problem with. I've noticed this a lot with people who have "personality disorders," it's as if they often can't function because their assumed narrative they project onto reality doesn't interface very well with what is actually real and it leaves them feeling scared, empty, or purposeless. It's unfortunate because ultimately people are not able to appreciate what is simple and real (or just plain more direct and honest than the fake, oversimplified movie narratives), whether that be the beauty of nature, discourse on the human condition, a simple hobby like learning an instrument or skill, scientific achievement, or what have you.

Instead of appreciating their lives for what they are people demand and are fed abbreviated versions of meaningful things in increasingly more compressed and immediate forms, which seem to have to be be consumed without respite so as not to be "bored" with the stagnant and homogenous state of industrialized society. Not sure if anyone here is a comic book fan, but I've found the movie adaptations of Alan Moore's comic books to be particularly pointless and disturbing as superhero narratives in movies have become more and more popular. For those that are unfamiliar, Alan Moore's comic books stand out in the medium as very insightful works on society, history, human thinking and so on. In other words they aren't your typical comic book. Anyway, I've only seen one or two of these films and I didn't need to see anymore. It left me wondering why someone would transfer an incredibly creative, unique, insightful, visually very engaging work that in itself was perfect in its medium simply because people were too fucking inept to seek it out or understand it (and of course money).

Obviously many great books have been made into movies but I bring up these comic book movies because they're particularly exploited these days and completely stripped of their original integrity (movies that adapt novels are sometimes an alternate look at a book, not just an empty shell stuffed with hollywood bullshit) and it leaves me wondering why. I've also noticed, I really wish I hadn't, that television is now mostly all reality TV shows, even the only interesting channels like History and Discovery (thank someone there is a Science channel that seems to retain some value). It's no wonder people confuse reality with simple, unreal narratives, they watch people on TV seemingly living them out in "real life" every single day! It's really disturbing to me because, like the recent article posted on "seeking" or sheer information addiction, this behavior dilutes the human capacity for insight, understanding and communication. Most people depend with their lives on scientific achievement, even "get off" on it with television, gadgets, the internet, etc. as is suggested in the other article I mentioned, yet people exist in a mental state that completely blurs supernatural fantasy with the natural world so there is little discrimination between the two, and especially a severe lack of appreciation for the unique, individual value of each. I realize I have rambled, but in closing for a real kick check out the movie "10,000 B.C.", I watched it purely because I heard it was so inaccurate and it is really mind blowing that people could actually accept that kind of stuff as fact.

August 19, 2009, 06:06:05 AM
What are you saying, exactly? Cameras are no different from stone, wood, canvas or even staff paper in their use as media for representations. Cinema is a perfectly valid artform but the fact that it largely remains a pretty cost-intensive medium will mean that the ones with their hands on the pursestrings are the ones who decide what gets made. Are you seriously opposed to all fiction ever?

Cinema, (film, television, what have you), may be an artform, but a completely different one that affects the brain in a very strange and possibly malicious way.

http://www.tvsmarter.com

If you're going to watch a film, make sure it's a good one, and don't do it too often.

August 19, 2009, 05:47:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw

This is fantastic. haha. Is this person the host of a show, or something to that degree?

August 19, 2009, 07:28:24 PM
I believe the same effect of "brainwashing" people to believe certain things can be achieved by being exposed to music, literature and other art. The medium doesn't even matter, the only thing that matters is that the same message is projected repeatedly on the subject. It's just that movies and TV are the most popular "art form" so they receive more attention. But look at how many black metal fans will praise Odinism without having any knowledge of it outside of metal, or claim to hate christianity but can produce no solid arguments against it at all. Sound like "because I saw it in a movie" to you?

But I agree with OP that movies and TV are the most used methods to get masses of people to accept certain ideas as "facts". Perhaps not in the historical sense (which is mostly incidental; people rewrite historical stories to make them into exciting movies or TV series) but the effect of mind control is definitely prevalent when it comes to social behavior in movies and TV series. People treat fictional characters as role models whereas in old times they would have treated mythological figures as role models. Those who control the entertainment industry control the way the minds of the people work. Those who control the information industry only control what goes into the minds of the people. Scary indeed.

August 19, 2009, 08:20:03 PM
Present history through the modern liberal lens, but do so subtly so as to imply that this is the way it always was and always should be.

The amalgam of these hidden anachronisms slowly shifts the paradigm of our perception.

August 19, 2009, 08:26:35 PM
a film i watched recently that might be relevant is Being There, the Peter Sellers movie.  Sellers plays the role of an illiterate gardener who lives to watch television.  but because of his clean-shaven appearance and upscale wardrobe, people see in him what they want to see, and he is basically offered the keys to the kingdom.  they mistake his likely mental retardation for even-tempered thoughtfulness.  they interpret his babbling of TV quotes and gardening tips as profound metaphor.  

the moral of the story is not only the idea that an idiot, through sheer luck, can be given the keys to power.  a more important narrative is the movie's description of TV not only as an opiate for the apathetic, but also as the primary indoctrination into the values of our culture.  through advertising and programming with subtle and not-so-subtle means, TV and movies represent the desired model society for the people who make them.  it's the foundation for modern consumerism, and it's place in metal should be debated.