Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Until the Light Takes Us" documentary

"Until the Light Takes Us" documentary
February 21, 2006, 06:11:38 AM
http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2002-04-10/pop.html

The documentary Until the Light Takes Us.

Sounds interesting. Apparently the makers like Burzum more than Ulver, but aren't metalheads; they're indie rockers in fact. From what I can read in the article, they don't seem like idiots, and they seem to have at least a minimal amount of respect for those they interviewed...

Re: Has anyone seen this?
February 21, 2006, 02:01:15 PM
I think this documentary looks promising. I'm pretty surprised that these people are from San Francisco, especially Lower Haight. It's the "hippy"area of the city and super liberal.

Glad to see people in my city doing good work.

February 21, 2006, 02:59:11 PM
Good point.  It's way to liberal for metal bands to come out of there like Metallica, D.R.I., Exodus, Testament, Megadeth, Death Angel, Vio-lence, and Forbidden etc..  ::)

Except that we are not talking about thrash/speed metal bands, but Black Metal with obvious NS views. Get a clue.

February 21, 2006, 03:05:26 PM
Aquarius records out of SF are also very fond of black metal, surprising for an "alternative" record store.

http://aquariusrecords.org/

February 22, 2006, 04:19:38 AM
"...intelligent men who became so isolated from the rest of the world that they found it natural to commit heinous acts."

Excuse my fallacy but I must say that Ted Kaczynski is one hardcore black metal dude.

Unabomber...black metal...

They go hand in hand.  8)

February 25, 2006, 02:23:51 AM
They do. Ted K, Pentti Linkola, Thomas Malthus, Osama bin Laden, Adolf Hitler, Charles Manson... all are very metal, and all are demonized by society.

Interestingly, there's a public reality concerning each: the illusion of what they did (Charles Manson killed people) versus the reality (Manson is alleged to have ordered the Tate-LaBianca killings, but did not take physical part in them). Same way with Hitler: his enemies would have us believe he was a raving maniac who hated all non-whites, but the truth is he was a gentle man who loved Germans and would do whatever was necessary to preserve them, but was live and let live with everyone else...

Burzum fits this category also. From a different angle, so does Demilich.

Re: "Until the Light Takes Us" documenta
February 25, 2006, 02:49:47 AM
Iran, the band of filmmaker Aaron Aites.

Iran, the label site.

On a side note, The Professor is one of their black metal spoofs. Anyone heard it?

February 25, 2006, 05:52:16 PM
Yes...Faust stabbed an Olympic skier. It's great to see the media stick with the fact.

April 24, 2006, 07:55:19 PM
Aquarius records out of SF are also very fond of black metal, surprising for an "alternative" record store.

http://aquariusrecords.org/

They're fond of anything, even boy/girl groups.  You could order a "Girls Aloud" cd along with some fascist black metal, if you wanted to embarrass yourself.

April 25, 2006, 11:31:01 PM

Iran, the label site.

This is the same label that released Weakling's "Dead As Dreams"

April 29, 2006, 08:23:51 AM
Good point.  It's way to liberal for metal bands to come out of there like Metallica, D.R.I., Exodus, Testament, Megadeth, Death Angel, Vio-lence, and Forbidden etc..  ::)

It's also to liberal for the Nietzchean influenced (anti-egalitarian) Church of Satan to have first been established there.

"Welcome to the Hotel California..."  LOL!

euronymous

October 29, 2007, 10:08:34 PM
According with news in .org, this is being edited now. A short video of Varg from the documentary can be seen also.

October 30, 2007, 06:26:31 AM
Actually, this looks really stupid to me, because it fixates on the various crimes commited by Vikernes, Faust, etc, as though this is their principle point of interest and unites them in some coherent way.

What makes any of you think that this "documentary" is going to be anything other than a bunch of sensationalist crap, even if its tone is more 'respectful'?

Further, why do we NEED documentaries to explain any of this to people through mass media? And if we DO need this, why aren't some us going about the work to actually make the definitive ones?

October 31, 2007, 01:02:50 AM

I thought DRI were from Texas.