Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

October Is Hessian History Month

Re: October Is Hessian History Month
July 04, 2006, 02:05:30 PM
This Hessian History Month is kind of dumb, but it is time to create some type of regular, cyclic reminder of heavy metal culture. Hessian History Month doesn't have the teeth that National Day of Slayer has. The problem with Slayer Day is that this event has passed and will be forgotten, the little bit of momentum built has become still. An annual event that grabs attention every year, like Devil's Night, Yule or Easter would do the trick. More than one day would be best; TV Turnoff Week is a good one. Hessian Week, like History Month also lacks the right punch: Hessian=Weak?

July 04, 2006, 02:38:41 PM
NDoS was designed for 06/06/06, however, I think it is still applicable to any 06/06/** (dd/mm/yy). That is one of the few ways to keep momentum going.

I'm sure Mozart's birthday was supposed to be 'Classical music day' but I can't find any info on that for now. I'd suggest Beethoven's birthday as an important date:  December 17th might be too close to the 25th to be worthwhile? It wouldn't have the same impact.

'Hessian day' shoulc coincide with something symbolic, a musicians birthday seems like an obvious one (Wagner - May 22).
I'm sceptical as to whether anyone would take the event serious if it lasts more than one day.

July 04, 2006, 02:56:32 PM
Good point. The idiotic herd needs visible activity for awareness and mass entertainment news publishes the sensational, exciting, horrifying, tragic, humorous. Day of the Hessian would have to compete with  minority/gay oppression, Christian evangelicals, road side bombs and beheadings.

My thought was Halloween or Winter Solstice for several reasons, mainly heritage, cultural and theatrical. The days correspond with "bad" in the Christian reality bubble. I'm fairly certain Nov. 1 is witchcraft's most important day and Oct 31 is of course Halloween/Samhain, which has been defiled like Yule - cheesy, plastic junk, moron tunes and all that grief-slop our pig-herd public enjoys.

July 04, 2006, 09:12:59 PM
My thought was Halloween or Winter Solstice for several reasons, mainly heritage, cultural and theatrical. The days correspond with "bad" in the Christian reality bubble. I'm fairly certain Nov. 1 is witchcraft's most important day

Yeah, they are obvious choices for us. Do we simply hi-jack October 31 and say it is Hessian day?
It already tied symbolically to Metal. So what can we offer that would make this day 'different' ?

One idea is to consider a Hessian calender. The current calender of Xmas, Easter, 4th of July, Thanks giving sucks.

Winter (synonymous with death/ decay/ cold frostbitten grimness/Battles in the North) :
Lasts roughly 1/4 -> 1/3 of the year. The start of this period could be denoted by October 31.

Construct ideas / metaphors / imagery for the others periods.

If this idea is vague then I may have to go away and construct the idea before mailing you.

July 05, 2006, 12:03:26 AM
Do we simply hi-jack October 31 and say it is Hessian day?

Isn't October 31 already a holiday?

I suggest we borrow a peasant season, like two weeks in april (4/20) and have a gradual celebration, not a "day" or a "month."

I also suggest we find commonality in the basics of culture first and work outward from there. I cannot believe more people are not getting involved in this. One loses the right to bitch about how metal is ignored when one fails to support the Hessian Initiative.

July 05, 2006, 11:58:26 AM
I've looked forward to the opportunity to say something over the top to a Christian evangelist trying to convert me or scold me, but I've had no such opportunity.

Damnit man, where's the oppression that I want and deserve!?

July 05, 2006, 02:28:46 PM

Damnit man, where's the oppression that I want and deserve!?

How about: Where's the opportunity to confront my enemies?

July 05, 2006, 02:46:17 PM
Isn't October 31 already a holiday?

Well Halloween but I don't think it is as important as xmas. It might be easy enough to take.

I suggest we borrow a peasant season, like two weeks in april (4/20) and have a gradual celebration, not a "day" or a "month."

This had crossed my mind but refrained from suggesting it as I thought it would be the hardest promote - I could be wrong or I might have over looked something.
That said, I like the choice of April but I think we may lose credibility if we specially celebrate April 20th (too 1488-ish).

July 05, 2006, 03:47:33 PM
April 20th is also "Four Twenty" = world cannabis day and supposedly Mohammed's birthday.

In ancient and medieval Europe there was a Fool's Day where the peasants would have a great celebration culminating in a triumphant march into their local lord's great hall. That's probably our April 1st.

The Maypole Dance is supposedly fallic and fertility, but I prefer the Axis of Yggdrassil and Life symbology for that one. So, May is occupied.

Officially in May, we in the US have Labor Day. The date was moved from the original September date of the Chicago labor riots and many deaths early last century. I doubt the memory-holed September date is appropriate for a Hessian Day because it is limited in time and geographic scope.

July 05, 2006, 09:24:30 PM
April 20th is also "Four Twenty" = world cannabis day and supposedly Mohammed's birthday.

In ancient and medieval Europe there was a Fool's Day where the peasants would have a great celebration culminating in a triumphant march into their local lord's great hall. That's probably our April 1st.

The Maypole Dance is supposedly fallic and fertility, but I prefer the Axis of Yggdrassil and Life symbology for that one. So, May is occupied.

Officially in May, we in the US have Labor Day. The date was moved from the original September date of the Chicago labor riots and many deaths early last century. I doubt the memory-holed September date is appropriate for a Hessian Day because it is limited in time and geographic scope.

Labor Day is still in September.

Why doesn't somebody select a metal-significant date instead of trying to usurp others?  Isn't that more in keeping with the spirit of Hessian self-sufficiency and solidarity that the day will ultimately signify?

July 05, 2006, 09:59:04 PM
Why doesn't somebody select a metal-significant date instead of trying to usurp others?  Isn't that more in keeping with the spirit of Hessian self-sufficiency and solidarity that the day will ultimately signify?

Good point and I agree with the sentiment but, gaining acceptance of such a date is the hard part: how to make it catch on?
Historical / culturally important days / periods are a good idea, they may help the idea to catch on if we can associate it with something

06/06 is an obvious choice which doesn't have any official holiday. I'd advocate further promotion of this day as something separate, ie NDoS.
Also, Onward to Golgotha day was a good one.

Do you have a date in mind?

July 05, 2006, 11:40:17 PM
06/06 is an obvious choice which doesn't have any official holiday. I'd advocate further promotion of this day as something separate, ie NDoS.
 Also, Onward to Golgotha day was a good one.

Do you have a date in mind?

06/06 makes sense for a number of reasons, I agree.  I don't have anything specific-histortical in mind off the top of my head, but with whom must a particular date "catch-on?"  If you are loud enough about it the date itself shouldn't matter much in the long run in terms of success of establishment; e.g. almost every other currently recognized holiday.

Also, I think Onward to Golgotha day was Good Friday but I can't remember :D

July 06, 2006, 07:07:15 PM
Also, I think Onward to Golgotha day was Good Friday but I can't remember :D

Goshdarnit! I was just about to mention this.

Anti-Christian themes on Good Friday work perfectly for the Hessian. Just as the Catholics rechristened many pagan holidays by conveniently overlapping them with feast days and holidays, Hessians can take back what belongs to the same spirit they cherish: mischief!

July 07, 2006, 04:41:12 PM
I love Good Friday. Halloween is too obvious and gimmicky, in my opinion. 6/6 is better than Halloween, but I think Good Friday is really clever, considering the way Christianity stole everyone else's holidays and ruined them (as Apartheid Waltz pointed out).

Question, though: What would be DONE on this day? I mean, obviously you wouldn't just declare it Hessian Day and be done with it. So would there be specific rituals/celebrations associated with it?

July 07, 2006, 06:19:09 PM
Question, though: What would be DONE on this day? I mean, obviously you wouldn't just declare it Hessian Day and be done with it. So would there be specific rituals/celebrations associated with it?

I'd probably do what I've been doing for the last few days: Nothing. Or, gain world recognition then sit on the toilet listening to Black Witchery.
As for rituals, we'd probably prance around in corpse paint, slaughter plastic goats and shout metal-esque Biowitz phrases like "Raise the fucking goat skull"
There would be a lot of talk about burning churches and raping females. Then we'd probably end the day with beer and dancing into stone pillars or metal poles.

In short: Listening to metal all day and encourage others to skip work and hold community feasts. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions.