Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Greatest metal FAILs of all time

Re: Greatest metal FAILs of all time
August 28, 2009, 02:59:54 AM
Everything by Cannibal Corpse

It's not right in this context to label everything a band has produced as failure.

August 28, 2009, 04:10:36 AM
"Ram It Down"? Not "Turbo"?!

Turbo was a hard rock experiment for them. It wasn't half bad as such, but it certainly wasn't a metal album by any measure.

For their day, Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith were rivaled only by Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind and Powerslave and to an extent also Ozzy and Dio's releases. The mid-late eighties were the end of heavy metal's dominion and the rise of death metal. The change was in the air around 1986 and fully realized within the next couple years. The old metal heads at the time split into hard rockers adrift who didn't get it and the fewer dedicated Hessians who did.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

August 28, 2009, 06:16:31 PM
Beyond The Gates by Possessed and Morgoth's later material.
Let us go beyond "you" and "me"! Feel cosmically!

Friedrich Nietzsche

August 29, 2009, 03:54:23 AM
The change was in the air around 1986 and fully realized within the next couple years. The old metal heads at the time split into hard rockers adrift who didn't get it and the fewer dedicated Hessians who did.

A number also drifted into the Punk world after the whole hardcore/crossover thing exposed a lot of Metalheads to that at about the same time.

August 29, 2009, 09:11:15 AM
Master's Hammer "Slagry" is so bad i'm not quite sure what to make of it. Very bizarre album to say the least

August 29, 2009, 01:45:09 PM

When we let rip with our "Metal FAILs -- Volume I," people were pissed -- mainly because we didn't include their favorite fails. So in the grand tradition of whoring ourselves for populist acclaim, and thus perhaps thousands of grubby fingers clicking on the same links, we've brought you the sequel: "More Metal FAILs" or "Son of Metal FAIL," depending on what you want to call it.

Son of Metal FAIL

I think it's time we faced the truth about failed metal. Some music just sucks. Some music is just great. This whimpy fru-fru airy silliness about "it's just my opinion" is just people freaking out when they realize other people can figure out they listen to doofus music.

August 29, 2009, 04:16:55 PM
Ah, but there are opinions when it comes to objectively good music, hence why I don't like Gorguts. :D

I liked the new entry, though personally I think "Symbolic" would've been a better representation of Death's failing. Still, witty and entertaining as always.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

August 29, 2009, 08:43:53 PM

I think it's time we faced the truth about failed metal. Some music just sucks. Some music is just great. This whimpy fru-fru airy silliness about "it's just my opinion" is just people freaking out when they realize other people can figure out they listen to doofus music.

Indeed, I've found this especially difficult to talk to people about because for them, it's a touchy subject. If you explain what art in music is, they freak out and tell you you're wrong, go into a vicious babbling fit about how it's only my opinion, and so on and so forth. It's because it jeopardizes something in their lifestyle that they don't want to give up because it's one of the few things that makes their life a little less shitty and takes them further and further away from accomplishing anything that might take effort to achieve. Especially in a Hessian's sort of case, if you explain to someone how dumb TV is, they'll call you a moron and say you think you know everything, blah blah blah. I've actually been dealing with a LOT of this as of recent.
~proud member of the AsPie NuRd UndErGroUnd SoCieTy~ post this in your sig if you are too!

August 31, 2009, 07:09:34 PM
Make room on the list for Sepultura's Arise 

August 31, 2009, 10:17:08 PM
Make room on the list for Sepultura's Arise 

I think that album is still decent.  That album is what I think the proper way to make a commercial album should be.  It never ends well I guess, though.

September 02, 2009, 10:52:00 PM
Everything by Cannibal Corpse

It's not right in this context to label everything a band has produced as failure.

You need a separate thread for bands that are failures, or possibly, a polite note indicating that the contents of metal-archives minus the contents of the DLA equals, for the most part, failmetal.

September 06, 2009, 05:49:05 AM
IMO, everything by Metallica except for a few good songs

September 06, 2009, 03:14:09 PM
Totally agree on ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?. Such an overrated performance. And now it has seemed to get extra attention/appreciation since Dimebag was shot.

September 07, 2009, 02:52:16 AM
Idiot redneck stereotype is shot by fellow idiot.

Add 100,000,000 street cred points.

September 07, 2009, 03:09:55 AM
IMO, everything by Metallica except for a few good songs

No, everything by Metallica, except for Fade To Black.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://last.fm/user/ckyheather7