Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Greatest metal FAILs of all time

Re: Greatest metal FAILs of all time
September 07, 2009, 03:48:35 AM
Just like Nirvana, the guy made a basic 3-chord riff and suddenly he's a god just because he died young(not talking about dimebag).
I guess Pantera is here to stay, unfortunately :(

September 08, 2009, 11:57:23 AM
IMO, everything by Metallica except for a few good songs

No, everything by Metallica, except for Fade To Black.

It seems a bit ridiculous to believe that the only Metallica song worth hearing is the one that whines the most. Metallica's early work is a well-done crossover of speed metal and NWOBHM. It's accessible and doesn't stand up to anything Slayer did, but the their first 3 albums certainly aren't total failures.

September 08, 2009, 11:24:21 PM
It seems a bit ridiculous to believe that the only Metallica song worth hearing is the one that whines the most. Metallica's early work is a well-done crossover of speed metal and NWOBHM. It's accessible and doesn't stand up to anything Slayer did, but the their first 3 albums certainly aren't total failures.

I was just kidding towards that post due to boredom, I apologize.

But about Metallica, the early work I would have to say is the only thing I can go through to listen to, first 3 albums like you said..that's all I can tolerate.

September 08, 2009, 11:44:17 PM
IMO, everything by Metallica except for a few good songs

No, everything by Metallica, except for Fade To Black.

Master of Puppets is a failure in many ways. Kill 'em All is by far their most respectable, spirited work.

September 13, 2009, 02:47:36 AM
Blaze singing for Iron Maiden suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

September 13, 2009, 09:12:13 AM
I think there is a side of Master of Puppets which rivals the best of black metal and death metal; a compositional beauty that reaches deep inside and shakes your very existence. I suppose most people notice the faux aggression of that album and turn away because of its failure, but there is something else in the way the songs evolve that makes me wonder how these morons were ever able to write music this beautiful. It might be some weird eccentricity, but I really think that MoP is one of the best heavy metal albums and I generally agree regarding the quality of the bands promoted here.

September 13, 2009, 12:25:18 PM
Everything by Cannibal Corpse

Cannibal Corpse is great! With the exception of Gore Obsessed I enjoy all of their material. Bloodthirst is one of the best death metal albums ever. The strongest work of Pat O'Brein and Alex Webster stands up to any other death metal composer (including Doug Cerrito), and Fisher is probably the best vocalist in the genre. Dead Human Collection is a genius song, as is the title track from Gallery of Suicide.

But then, I am English.

September 16, 2009, 05:45:10 PM
The strongest work of Pat O'Brein and Alex Webster stands up to any other death metal composer (including Doug Cerrito), and Fisher is probably the best vocalist in the genre. Dead Human Collection is a genius song, as is the title track from Gallery of Suicide.

I think the homosexual may be only partially serious here, but I'll have to say that the one-dimensionality of Cannibal Corpse has always turned me away from them. That and their style being totally derived from Malevolent Creation and Suffocation, and their lyrical content, a dumbed-down version of the Carcass clones that failed from the early 1990s.

September 17, 2009, 12:21:35 AM
I've always thought of Alex Webster as holding back. CC's drummer is garbage, probably one of the worst I've ever heard, and none of their guitarists have ever been good. Anything interesting that happens in CC's music is largely due to the bass.

It would be beneficial to Webster's skills if he would distance himself from CC, I believe.

September 24, 2009, 02:29:31 AM
Carcass' Swansong.  How can this be overlooked?  I was a die-hard Carcass fan until Swansong came out, which caused me to "wake up and smell the Carcass."  I will always listen to their previous albums.

September 24, 2009, 05:13:07 AM
Carcass' Swansong.  How can this be overlooked?  I was a die-hard Carcass fan until Swansong came out, which caused me to "wake up and smell the Carcass."  I will always listen to their previous albums.

It's overlooked because it followed Heartwork, which was a colossal disappointment. I don't think anyone was surprised when Swansong ended up the way it did.

September 24, 2009, 07:09:16 PM
More metal fail: Immortal - All Shall Fall; A mix between their last 2 works and Abbathīs side project "I", some recycled riffs and there you go, itīs not black, nor death or speed metal... ITīS SHIT!

September 25, 2009, 01:02:44 AM
More metal fail: Immortal - All Shall Fall; A mix between their last 2 works and Abbathīs side project "I", some recycled riffs and there you go, itīs not black, nor death or speed metal... ITīS SHIT!

Yeah, every so often, I interrupt the spinning of my trustworthy and great records for the occassional new release. The last of these happened to be 'All Shall Fail' and it just annoyed me to listen to. Yes, it's all those things described above, but also, despite the clean and powerful production (like a polished Blizzard Beasts sound), the whole picture is so fucking weak. Nothing about the music is believable, and suddenly, songs that are meant to depict (albeit, now in a novel way) the forces of the northern winter have no relevance or meaning. It's also funny how Immortal seem to conclude every song with that same, patented Immortal 'signature riff'. It sounded great on Blashyrkh, and recycled to good effect on 'Mountains of Might'; carried by the strength of the composition, but from 'At The Heart Of Winter' onwards, I hear it all the time, probably to remind listeners that they're listening to an Immortal album, or maybe - like Haydn's 'surprise' symphony - something classic Immortal sounding to wake them up from the boring Rock riffs. Didn't work.

September 25, 2009, 06:28:25 AM
I agree with the reviews of "All Shall Fall" here. I took some time yesterday to give the new Immortal and Nile works a listen (gotta listen to 'em before I bash 'em). New Immortal is hideously boring, and this is coming from a "Sons of Northern Darkness" apologist. SoND was at least a "fun" record, combined with typical Immortal "epicness". It communicated noting, but at least it kept your attention. This new one was so bland I couldn't even say when one song ended and a new one started. There's no power, no soul and no meaning in this. I actually preferred the Nile album, and that's saying something.

A few words concerning Nile: They always struck me as very able musicians who had the potential of making great music, yet chose to remain at the level of lucrative plebeian "brutal" death metal with a pseudo "exotic" element of more or less middle-eastern scales and "mysterious" keyboard interludes every third song. A real shame.

September 26, 2009, 07:01:41 PM
It's overlooked because it followed Heartwork, which was a colossal disappointment. I don't think anyone was surprised when Swansong ended up the way it did.

That's a good response, although I don't agree that Heartwork was a disappointment to any degree.  They were following a direction already established with Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious. It seems to me that if you discount Heartwork, you may as well discount the former album for not being a close descendant of Symphonies of Sickness.

Interesting observation, nonetheless.