Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Finnish Death Metal

Finnish Death Metal
September 05, 2009, 11:54:54 PM
Any recommendations besides Demigod, Demilich, and Adramelech.

Re: Finnish Death Metal
September 06, 2009, 01:29:41 AM
Abhorrence (Fin) comes to mind, namely the Vulgar Necrolatry demo. I would say it is fairly enjoyable. If the guitar work sounds familiar, it's because Tomi Koivusaari went on to play for Amorphis in the early nineties.

September 06, 2009, 03:03:57 AM
Belial should do it.

September 06, 2009, 04:19:03 AM
Amorphis is pretty well liked around here.

September 06, 2009, 08:54:35 AM
Funebre,  Xysma, Disgrace, Convulse, Phlegethon, Purtenance, Cartilage, Vomiturition, Sentenced, Thergothon, Unholy, Rippikoulu, Necropsy, Mordicus, Excrement, Acid Witch and so on. Though some of these bands have disbanded or turned crap later in their careers. Mainly check out the demo's/ep's and first albums if you can find them.
Firmly entrenched in Chucks butt!

September 06, 2009, 03:07:30 PM
There are a few good undergrounf DM bands atm. You should attend some ug gigs if you are finnish,,,

September 08, 2009, 11:53:12 AM
Essential Finnish Bands: Adramelech, Amorphis, Beherit, Belial, Demigod, Demilich, Impaled Nazarene, Skepticism. Anything else from this country that I've discovered is essentially unnecessary, but all of these bands had (and in some cases still have) great material.

September 08, 2009, 12:12:49 PM
Currently under preparation @ Deathmetal.Org is a feature including just about as much current Finnish death metal as you need. With interviews, of course.

Meanwhile, just type "finnish death metal" to the search engine and you'll find something to bite into.

September 12, 2009, 05:30:25 AM
Essential Finnish Bands: Adramelech, Amorphis, Beherit, Belial, Demigod, Demilich, Impaled Nazarene, Skepticism. Anything else from this country that I've discovered is essentially unnecessary, but all of these bands had (and in some cases still have) great material.

Add Abhorrence to the Amorphis category and I completely agree. Then again, that's a massively impressive list for any country -- most produce 1-2 great bands at best. Where is Thergothon from?

September 12, 2009, 02:25:44 PM

Add Abhorrence to the Amorphis category and I completely agree. Then again, that's a massively impressive list for any country -- most produce 1-2 great bands at best. Where is Thergothon from?

They also originate from Finland. I was actually listening to their album last night (can't recall the name, but I think it's the only one they released anyway) and while I definitely found it to be infinitely better than most of the horrifically boring funeral doom genre, it just made me want to listen to Skepticism instead. When I listen to Alloy it feels as though Skepticism knows exactly when to change things up in the song to keep it moving, whereas on my first listen of the Thergothon album, it always felt a bit late and in general the riffs started to get boring about half-way through, leaving me praying that they would change something because I already get the point and it doesn't need to be repeated that many times at that speed.

Is the demo any different?

September 12, 2009, 09:42:20 PM

They also originate from Finland. I was actually listening to their album last night (can't recall the name, but I think it's the only one they released anyway) and while I definitely found it to be infinitely better than most of the horrifically boring funeral doom genre, it just made me want to listen to Skepticism instead. When I listen to Alloy it feels as though Skepticism knows exactly when to change things up in the song to keep it moving, whereas on my first listen of the Thergothon album, it always felt a bit late and in general the riffs started to get boring about half-way through, leaving me praying that they would change something because I already get the point and it doesn't need to be repeated that many times at that speed.

Is the demo any different?

The demo is a little faster but you won't be hearing much more that's different to the album. There is a lot more variety on Stream From The Heavens and the perfect production aids the drawn out communication. The only song that suffers from the problem you describe above is 'Yet The Watcher's Guard', although it doesn't sound out of place at all as far as the development of the song goes. There's quite a bit going on, in how the riffs form from the desolation of the first to a crescendo of cosmic grandeur coupled with awe. I'd say give it a few more listens without thinking it's Funeryawn Doom.

September 13, 2009, 02:29:10 PM
I checked it out again and it only reinforced my opinion of it. They create a great atmosphere that puts me in the mood for some good metal, but it just doesn't deliver. I listened to Ras Algethi instead.

January 18, 2010, 02:04:13 PM
First impressions from Thergothon were pretty good. I don't know why, but as soon as I finished listening to it, I really wanted to play something intense and damaging

(Mortem, Deicide, etc.)

But it was rewarding to say the least, Elemental was a moving track.
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud

Those who fancy themselves cultured are committing an ironic manslaughter.

January 18, 2010, 05:47:51 PM
Lie In Ruins

January 18, 2010, 06:27:36 PM
*Post-2000 band name with no explanation*

Seriously though, you're only wasting everyone's time if you don't explain why this band is even worth considering for a listen.