Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Graveland

Re: Graveland
March 10, 2006, 02:36:07 PM
Thousand Swords is the second greatest metal album ever, the rest is mostly pretty strong too, though often flawed.

March 10, 2006, 05:37:43 PM
Thousand Swords is the second greatest metal album ever, the rest is mostly pretty strong too, though often flawed.

:o

Wait a few minutes and re-read what you wrote. You may have a change of mind.

March 10, 2006, 07:17:54 PM

Officalworldgonemad. I lke the site, my first time i've come across it. Who runs it? Very ANUS-y.

namelessheretic I believe, he posts on this forum.

March 11, 2006, 12:20:00 AM
namelessheretic I believe, he posts on this forum.

Yes, decisively he is. Btw great Site, nameless :) Go on with it!

March 11, 2006, 12:25:21 AM

:o

Wait a few minutes and re-read what you wrote. You may have a change of mind.

Which part are you disputing, good sir?!

March 11, 2006, 03:03:45 PM

Which part are you disputing, good sir?!

I don't think that album is that good. But whatever, you're entitled to your opinion. I was just trying to be a bit funny.

March 12, 2006, 03:39:35 PM
Many fans of metal can't get into it because it leans so heavily on folk and stays well clear of so many metal clichés, but pursuing it reaps the greatest of rewards I assure you. Only Burzum has ever captured such clarity, beauty and power in reviving the spirit of old in metal form. Most bands revered around here are humbled by this album - it's a class above, if not three.

March 12, 2006, 05:08:31 PM
I'm still waiting to "get" this album. I listen to it actively, and think it to be a good album, but i still don't see this transcendance which is spoken of whenever Thousand Swords is mentioned.

Part of me is recoiled by the repetitive nature of many of the songs. For someone who enjoys ambient as I do, saying this is really saying something.

March 13, 2006, 05:29:42 PM
Part of me is recoiled by the repetitive nature of many of the songs. For someone who enjoys ambient as I do, saying this is really saying something.

No, this has been Darken's great weakness in later Graveland: where ambient layers, in Graveland the keyboards support the guitars. Even Emperor - whose keyboards often doubled the guitars - escaped this fate. If I were Darken, I would consider the unthinkable: losing the drums, or trying an entirely different style of percussion (think Kraftwerk).

March 13, 2006, 05:43:22 PM

That's my problem with lots of Darken's work but, strangely, not Thousand Swords in the slightest.

March 13, 2006, 05:48:51 PM
I don't know - something about the same tempo being utilized in almost every song, along with the same time signature, along with similar sounding melodic lines throughout much of it (to my admittedly layman understanding of melody) all adds up to an album which just seems to churn out the same song over and over.

Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with it. Maybe I'm just a big fucking faggot. I'll figure it out, but as regards later Graveland, I really can't get into it in the same way that I get into early Graveland. That said, I'm not even all that huge of a "fan" of Graveland to begin with. I just have a very lukewarm response even to the better compositions of Darken's.

Man, I would fucking love it if he lost the drumming. That's the only thing that trips Lord Wind up, although I am able to tune that aspect out.

March 13, 2006, 05:50:11 PM
I guess that's it right there - I can't get past the method to see the intent. I'll get it one of these days, but I have to leave it be for a time.

March 13, 2006, 11:07:27 PM
Mornox's review on M-A captures the album well, I've always felt:  http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1677

March 16, 2006, 12:48:02 AM
I guess I'm going backwards...finally got "Fire Chariot of Destruction"...maybe it wasn't the first release I should've bought, nevertheless, it wasn't as "horrible" as most here might think with later Graveland releases.  I was mostly impressed with his use of traditional choirs, instead of cheating by using keyboards..  The song "Creator and Destroyer" is actually pretty darn good.

March 16, 2006, 11:35:46 PM
From the DLA review:

"The Celtic Winter" emerges from fusion of romantic melody and raw black metal in the context of waltzlike, dreamtime music with classical aspirations delivered in microambient doses through its complexity of barren minimalist structure.

Can someone explain what is meant by 'waltzlike'?