Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Graveland

Re: Graveland
March 17, 2006, 12:20:40 AM
3/4 time.

Edit- some familiar examples of 3/4 time:
In classical:
The Blue Danube
Fur Elise

In metal:
Watain- Devil's Blood
much of Graveland- The Gates to the Kingdom of Darkness, or the middle "rolling" section of "In the Northern Carpathians"

March 18, 2006, 06:17:58 AM
I don't know - something about the same tempo being utilized in almost every song, along with the same time signature, along with similar sounding melodic lines throughout much of it (to my admittedly layman understanding of melody) all adds up to an album which just seems to churn out the same song over and over.

Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with it. Maybe I'm just a big fucking faggot. I'll figure it out, but as regards later Graveland, I really can't get into it in the same way that I get into early Graveland. That said, I'm not even all that huge of a "fan" of Graveland to begin with. I just have a very lukewarm response even to the better compositions of Darken's.

Man, I would fucking love it if he lost the drumming. That's the only thing that trips Lord Wind up, although I am able to tune that aspect out.

Funny, I find that repetition is the problem I have with other Graveland, like Celtic winter (which has song structures something like punk/epic/punk/epic) and FTVOB. Thousand Swords wins me over, even if it's tough to listen through.

Also, I totally love the fuzz tone on FTVOB.

Conflagrations

Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été.

March 18, 2006, 09:04:19 AM
Much as I enjoy Graveland's music, I've always found the terrible drumming on the earlier albums to be somewhat offputting.

March 19, 2006, 03:58:47 AM
Much as I enjoy Graveland's music, I've always found the terrible drumming on the earlier albums to be somewhat offputting.

personally, i always thought the drumming on the early albums fit each song perfectly. it almost seemed like he was doing it that way on purpose and not because he was terrible. :)

August 27, 2012, 05:04:04 PM
Out now: Graveland - "Immortal pride" LP + Poster

After many years of being completely sold out from No Colours Records comes the reissue of Graveland's infamous "Immortal pride" record on vinyl. All original artwork and logos with excellent sound. Comes with printed innersleeve with lyrics and a large 18" x 24" poster with photo from the those days. Produced for Graveland fans by Graveland fans!

Available in Europa from www.heidenshart.nl.nu
Available in the USA from www.foreverplaguedrecords.com

Coming up next: "In the glare of burning churches" LP + poster with original artwork and photos!

August 29, 2012, 03:54:24 AM
This thread inspired me to listen to Thousand Swords again today. Besides that out-of-place-but-still-not-terrible track "Black Metal War", it's a definite winner. I would love for the guitars to be more present in the mix though, they lack bite.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

Graveland revisited
August 30, 2012, 11:42:45 AM
If memory serves me correctly, most of the material on The Celtic Winter is borrowed from In the Glare of Burning Churches demo, only it’s slicker in execution and production. I think this actually detracts somewhat from the feral tension which characterized the originals. Carpathian Wolves is probably my all time favourite, especially the second half which slows down into epic, ritualistic, last day on earth type stuff.

Objectively, Thousand Swords and Following the Voice of Blood represent the pinnacle of Darken’s artistic vision (not forgetting the Veles albums from the same year which probably owe as much to Darken as anybody). Everything that came after is of integrity but never reached those same heights.

So far, only Beherit’s Engram might offer us an effective solution to the bell curve problem.

November 21, 2012, 09:06:09 PM

GRAVELAND 'In the glare of burning churches' demo 1993 LP

The most hateful demo of all time, now for the first time on vinyl. This is an official release by Forever Plagued (USA) with official distribution in Europa by HHR. It comes with original cover and logo, large poster, printed innersleeve with lyrics and photos. Price is 15 euro + postage. High quality release just like 'Immortal pride'.

Available in Europa from www.heidenshart.nl.nu
Available in the USA from www.foreverplaguedrecords.com

Still available:
'Immortal pride' LP
'Immortal pride' CD (No Colours)
'In the glare of burning churches' CD (No Colours)
'The Celtic winter' CD (No Colours)
'Following the voice of blood' CD (No Colours)