Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Satirizing internet culture

Satirizing internet culture
August 20, 2009, 07:39:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU

Normally, I find such things to formulaic and annoying. But if you ignore the music, the somewhat predictable humor, and the campy hamming, you've got brilliant satire of online culture:

Like religion, it works backward -- you are not who you are, but you are "who you are" because of what you say/appear to be doing. Appearance trumps structure and underlying reality. Physical forces do not apply. While normally underlying reality (causes) create results and appearances (effects), in the online world, effects create assumed causes.

This is because online worlds are two things:

(1) A vast World of Warcraft simulacra
(2) A social system like other human social systems

I love this satire.

I'm ambivalent about forums/message boards. I like people; I like ideas; I like discussion. I detest unordered, pointless, petty, personal, bickering, self-aggrandizing, dramatic, etc. behavior because it is pointless AND THUS DISRESPECTS the people involved.

Anyone follow me on that one? Load the bong, and let's go visit Narnia-Rohan-Interzone.

Re: Satirizing internet culture
August 20, 2009, 09:14:32 PM
I've started trolling Second Life.

It's like trolling a message board/forum but x1000000 in terms of angry reactions and ensuing stupidity. This because it breaks and ruins people's fantasy escapist experience.

Seriously, there are people out there who reminisce about watching a sunset on this bloody thing, probably while the REAL sun was setting outside their window. 

August 23, 2009, 06:26:47 PM
I used to play World of Warcraft with my younger siblings.

There were three worlds:

1. Real world
2. Game world
3. Social world

There were three types of players:

Type 1: Normal People (5%) - "This is just a game. I can differentiate between Warcraft and reality. While it's fun to immerse myself in and draw inspiration from a story world (it's no Tolkien or Melville, but has good moments) from time to time, I understand context and priorities, and definitely prefer living reality."

Type 2: Super Geeky Gamers (5%) - "This game is amazing. I think about it day and night. Sometimes the game feels more real than my own boring life. I should tell you about my warlock. Did I tell you about my warlock? Woah, that elf over there is hot!"

Type 3: The Crowd (90%) - "This game sucks, but I'll continue playing it in the most uncooperative and uncreative manner possible, because there's not only nothing happening in my life -- there's this special feeling I get when I bully other players around."

Video games... eh.

August 23, 2009, 08:28:01 PM
I used to play World of Warcraft with my younger siblings.

There were three worlds:

1. Real world
2. Game world
3. Social world

There were three types of players:

Type 1: Normal People (5%) - "This is just a game. I can differentiate between Warcraft and reality. While it's fun to immerse myself in and draw inspiration from a story world (it's no Tolkien or Melville, but has good moments) from time to time, I understand context and priorities, and definitely prefer living reality."

Type 2: Super Geeky Gamers (5%) - "This game is amazing. I think about it day and night. Sometimes the game feels more real than my own boring life. I should tell you about my warlock. Did I tell you about my warlock? Woah, that elf over there is hot!"

Type 3: The Crowd (90%) - "This game sucks, but I'll continue playing it in the most uncooperative and uncreative manner possible, because there's not only nothing happening in my life -- there's this special feeling I get when I bully other players around."

Video games... eh.

I think you can apply this to not only people who play WoW, but to people who play video games in general.

September 03, 2009, 10:47:24 PM
I think you can apply this to not only people who play WoW, but to people who play video games in general.

Or to modern life:

1. Real world
2. Ego world
3. Social world
4. Manipulation-of-social-mechanism world (money, bus tokens, etc)

September 05, 2009, 01:52:36 AM
Yet few games had something to say. The Theif series and Deus EX were incredible games with content. Generalizing brings nothing good.
Wow is a game designed for the masses. Many books follow the same pattern.

September 13, 2009, 10:18:08 PM
Back when I was an art nerd I used to write poetry about Internet heroism on black metal forums.

The meaning of heroism.
(by "Nile577")

Did you see the ghosts sit goggled, swathed in Nietzsche’s furied font?
Did you see the name behind, filtered through a pagan wont?
Did you hear the humming fan, and see the indent in the chair?
Did you hear the turquoise man, he dances spiral to declare:
“The lonely nothing of today,” makeup met with flowing hair.

Did you read the scalpel prose and tilt at windmills in the now?
Did you right the worldly woes, Byron-written on the brow?
Did you clutch the meaning tightly: gestured frenzy on the way?
Did you feel the ghostly leaven harden into adult clay,
And crawling back from working week, again begin the working day?

Did you breathe the common air or sitting, godfleshed, breathe you own?
Did you breathe authentically or simply gulp down what was thrown?
Did you claim it genius, and wait to press your kingly aim?
Did you leave parentheses, (for author date and author name)
And pin the brooch upon your breast, and wear the reading on your mane?

Did you pour your confidence into the mold of netted self?
Did you leak ideals from the books upon the dusty shelf?
Did you break off angst and, branding, dispose with an abstract bent?
Did you erect the fear of death and wrap it in its velvet rent,
The more successfully for typing, dripping with masculine scent?

Oh you noble ghosts who fight, ensconced upon a spider’s web
Whose febrile thrashings' happenstance is rooted deep in comfort’s ebb.
The cause! The action beckoning, nails us to the worldly thread
Yet spun itself, in webward ways, from downing of duplic'tous beds.
The spider never yet is fed, but in opposing text we’re read!

It's not very good but it still encapsulates my views on the issue.

September 15, 2009, 06:25:14 AM
I wonder why it is that a lot of ANUSers seem to be budding poets and writers.

September 15, 2009, 06:48:37 AM
I'm not surprised. For example, most of 20th century classical composers were very much into anuses and sodomy.

September 16, 2009, 12:37:22 PM
I wonder why it is that a lot of ANUSers seem to be budding poets and writers.

Poetry and writing is the best way to express complex non-linear truth.

I think we've got a lot of IT people, philosophy students and law students amongst us as well.

September 16, 2009, 09:17:24 PM
Quote from: Conservationist
I think we've got a lot of [...] philosophy students [...] amongst us as well.

Raises hand.

Thing is, I am the only one in my extended family with high interest in social sciences, philosophy, music, lit., etc.

The rest are just happily occupied with family business, it seems (save three of them: a network admin., an electronics engineer, and a coder). =)