Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

We are Hessians, not metalheads

We are Hessians, not metalheads
September 18, 2009, 01:12:40 AM
Amidst the recent trend of Metal and Metalcore in popular culture, I think it is very important to make a distinction - I'm tempted to say 'draw a line in the sand' - between Metalheads and Hessians. The relationship between Metalheads and Hessians is analagous to that which exists between passive and active nihilists: whereas Metalheads have a tendency towards over-indulgence in crappy beer, tv and similar activities, Hessians live more active, productive lives. I do not mean to disparage Metalheads, as there are some good ones, but I would certainly say that Hessians represent the elite caste of  Metal culture.

Re: We are Hessians, not metalheads
September 20, 2009, 05:32:55 PM
Metalhead: "Out of all the choices of popular music to spend my time on, I've picked metal cause I think it's kind of neat"

Hessian: "Metal music speaks to my values, spirit and philosophy. I may have had the philosophy first, but the two are complementary, therefore this is the music and lifestyle and values system I pursue: a culture."

September 21, 2009, 07:13:30 AM
Metalhead: "Out of all the choices of popular music to spend my time on, I've picked metal cause I think it's kind of neat"

Hessian: "Metal music speaks to my values, spirit and philosophy. I may have had the philosophy first, but the two are complementary, therefore this is the music and lifestyle and values system I pursue: a culture."

Or an even shorter variant:

Metalhead: "This is what I do for fun"

Hessian: "This is where I live"

September 21, 2009, 06:25:21 PM

Perfect.

To me, liking metal is like liking books... When I read Plato, I realize here was a truth I could not ignore. Same with the Bhagavad-Gita. So that learning became part of me, as did the learning from, say, Brave New World or White Noise. Same way when my Dad told me something profound, I made it into part of my personality, or when I learned from a teacher, friend, lover or comrade (it takes a village to make an internet troll).

Saying "I am a Hessian" is no different than saying "I am a Schopenhauerian," or "Plato changed the direction of my life." And when you think about it, only an honest person without pretense lets truth-perception influence them in such a way. Everyone else is just posing at being the baddest ass on the block, the most profound and christlike progressive, etc. Fuck 'em.

Hessians should get their shit together make a movement:

* Define Hessian cultural values
* Demand equal rights
* Get our music recognized as art
* Propagandize people to know the best metal
* Get land for a Hessian escape zone

Obviously, volunteers are needed. Onward to Golgotha!

September 21, 2009, 10:57:51 PM
A Metalhead, which I've mentioned in another post, is something not only shameful to be associated with, but foolish as well. Also can be a bit embarrassing for whoever would label themselves as that. As we all know most people in recent years have just made it out to be too trendy and about fashion to be called that. I really don't want to be known as that. Who does?

A Hessian, like Conservationist or better yet what Consvming Impvlse just said, would define better of what we consider ourselves to be, I certainly do. Live for it and let it influence our lives, don't need merchandise to show who you are.

September 22, 2009, 12:15:05 AM
The difference between metalheads and Hessians is like the difference between the people who go to University just to party and the ones who go to better themselves and move up their position in the world... it seems the proportional relationship between the two is similar as well.

While I'm not a leader and am definitely not a follower, if a real Hessian movement takes off, I will do what I can to help.

NHA

September 22, 2009, 04:00:10 AM
How would hessian structural architecture look like? A combination of Minimalist, Neo-classical and Gothic?

September 22, 2009, 07:41:45 AM
How would hessian structural architecture look like? A combination of Minimalist, Neo-classical and Gothic?

Nah, more like Romanesque or Islamic architecture.  Minimalism is obsession with trivia, neo-classical architecture is boring and decadent, Gothic architecture is awesome but doesn't have the purity of spirit or the sheer intensity of Romanesque architecture.  The greatest works of architecture give one the impression of being a microcosmic incarnation of the entire universe, this is the case with Mosques, Cathedrals, Hindu Temples and so on, but certainly not with any modernist or post-modernist architecture, which is just as worthless as everything else these movements produced.

September 22, 2009, 01:00:50 PM

Like this?

September 24, 2009, 05:58:02 PM
I think there should be a Hessian Front Movement, or something similar, the way zionism had put itself together. Even the analogy you made fits (regular jews and the ones who really wanted to do something better with their lives). Maybe we should have some sort of a youth organization? get them while they're young and their minds not yet spoiled by modernity. We already have thinkers and artists, it really is the time to take it to another level. Perhaps after the Hessjugend will be established we could have a Hessian congress. We could invite all the guys from mock him production and their sister sites, formulate a plan of action, methodology, and get working.

Any favotrite land to call your own?

September 24, 2009, 06:01:11 PM

You stole my my second thought, which is that Hessian actively live Metal and honour its ideals, while Metalheads simply listen to the music. Another distinction is that Hessians listen to the music very actively and carefully, whereas Metalheads tend to gloss over concept and simply bang their skulls.

June 21, 2010, 12:53:07 AM
* Get land for a Hessian escape zone

A Hessian Mecca with annual pilgrimage could be interesting. LARP geeks and Slipnot fans are better organized and more cohesive. FFS

June 21, 2010, 02:56:30 AM

Eh, this ain't where I live, because I don't listen to music that much - I don't think it's healthy.

So in my case although metal is by far my favourite musical genre, I do not call myself a Hessian because it does not define me.

In my view I would argue that to become too wrapped-up in a conventional phenomenon like music is unhealthy, and past a certain point championing your involvement in it becomes unwise.

However, if you take the term "hessian" to encompass more than just listening habits, like for instance to also encompass a belief system, then as a whole I think it can be terminologically viable because it only refers to metal as part of its equation not the whole thing.

Of course I'm not a nihilist, so in this last context I still would not call myself a hessian!

I must say though, I do hate the term "metalhead". It sounds so.. dense....

June 21, 2010, 08:16:43 PM
I used to be fine with the term "metalhead" or "headbanger," instead of being called a "rocker," "stoner," "hippie," etc.

...that is until the term became bastardized and turned into another meme that's often associated with the all-too-familiar negative stereotypes about us and our lifestyle.  These days I'm becoming more critical of being referred to as a "hessian," than a metalhead.  If some people wanna call me the later, fine...BUT remember than I'm not your "average metalhead" either.  I'm educated, self-reliant, able-minded, intelligent and - just for myself - straight-edge (i.e. not getting drunk every week, concert, etc., doing drugs, having promiscuous sex, being a f**king idiot half of the time).  I also have respect for my elders and my fellow man (depending whom it is)...which leads to my preferred address as a "hessian."

So unfortunately today, "metalhead" has joined the group of empty cliques/memes like "rocker," "stoner," and "hippie."  (*shrug*)

June 21, 2010, 08:20:36 PM

Eh, this ain't where I live, because I don't listen to music that much - I don't think it's healthy.

So in my case although metal is by far my favourite musical genre, I do not call myself a Hessian because it does not define me.

In my view I would argue that to become too wrapped-up in a conventional phenomenon like music is unhealthy, and past a certain point championing your involvement in it becomes unwise.

However, if you take the term "hessian" to encompass more than just listening habits, like for instance to also encompass a belief system, then as a whole I think it can be terminologically viable because it only refers to metal as part of its equation not the whole thing.

Of course I'm not a nihilist, so in this last context I still would not call myself a hessian!

I must say though, I do hate the term "metalhead". It sounds so.. dense....

You pose a very good angle...I agree that Hessian-ism should encompass FAR MORE than just what kind of music or art one listens to.  I think it may already be mentioned about the general ideas of the lifestyle beyond just the music itself...but you pose a good request for expansion.  Good metal music is just scratching the surface.