Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

We are Hessians, not metalheads

Re: We are Hessians, not metalheads
June 21, 2010, 11:57:22 PM
Why a Hessian?  Someone enlighten me as to why you name yourselves after some german soldiers, im really quite new to this terminology.  I took a browse on the internet and couldnt find any details on the attitudes or lifestyles of these men.  What makes hessians more special than any old soldier??

June 22, 2010, 12:10:11 AM
About Hessians

We use the term "hessian" to designate Headbangers, Metallians, Metalheads, death rockers, and other people who live the lifestyle of metal music, including underground death metal, grindcore, speed metal, black metal, doom metal, thrash and heavy metal. That label implies above all the war-like attitude towards life that metal and other neo-classical forms of music promote.

The Hessian Studies Center, a not-for-profit corporation headquartered in the UAE, seeks to promote the values of the Hessian culture. Its goal is to establish a presence of hessians in the media and to demand mainstream society to recognize hessians as the unique cultural group it is, and encourage social recognition of this one of many cultures in our great pluralistic nation.

June 22, 2010, 12:47:17 AM
What can you tell me about the soldiers relation to you then?  I do not see a connection between your terminology and an actual hessian soldier.

June 22, 2010, 01:14:16 AM
Interesting, thanks for the link.

June 22, 2010, 05:32:12 PM
To Parasite: 

Basically, as Cargést shows in the link he provided to you, in a nutshell we've adopted the term "Hessian" to designate ourselves because of the spirituality embodied by both our music and our subcultural way of life - the same, or similar way that the REAL Hessians were in their soldiered way of life and their battle tactics.

June 22, 2010, 06:52:15 PM
I don't particularly enjoy identifying myself as a hessian for the simple fact that an explanation almost always follows. In my high school days, we were referred to as either "metals", "punks", or "metal-punks", and it seemed early on that there was an understanding of what we stood for and believed in. We were somewhat respected in social circles and it wasn't much trouble discussing the abstract concepts that define the beliefs of a hessian with our peers. People got us, even if they hated the music.