Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

punk/hardcore

punk/hardcore
March 04, 2006, 03:34:03 AM
I know im breaking new grounds in bringing this here of all places.    I can see myself getting some nasty comments but i'll ask anyways.  What is your outlook on this type of music?  I think it has a very raw aesthetic and is powerful music much like blackmetal.   I dont know if it has a political agenda behind it, but i notice with bands like Amebix, tragedy, warcollapse that they deal with topics such as nihilism, the enviornment, consumerism, hydraulic despotism, etc.   The music isnt always technical, but the minimalism carries just as much emotion as good blackmetal and has a feeling of fowardness that i find to be more than just "entertainment"

Re: punk/hardcore
March 04, 2006, 05:14:13 AM
Hardcore shelters and transmits pathetic Christian morality to the youth. Do you realize that in my area Churches sponsor hardcore shows after the Sunday Youth services? And that many hardcore shows are housed in Church basements/gyms? These deplorable shows serve as a way for Christians to present and reinforce their philosophies as something "vital" and "fresh".

March 04, 2006, 05:33:34 AM
Come on please dont try to put hardcore into the christian category.
A lot of bands play in churches but doesnt have dam thing to do with the band spewing religion.
I have no idea of what hardcore bands you are talking about but that sure isnt what hardcore stands for.
I agree that churches might have there own agendas for hosting these shows but It sure doesnt mean that bands that play there are trying to convert people. Shit my band has played in many churches and we are full of hate and violence and Antichrist stuff. The lime light in NY was a church and morbid angel and deicide and tons of others played there.
So don't think that hardcore and the church have the same agenda, its a pretty sad impression.

As far as punk goes I think that some of it is the most intelligent stuff I have ever heard. A lot of these bands know what they are talking about and are more versed in whats going on in society then most of us. The fun upbeat tempos is sometimes a great change then someone screaming depressing stuff in your face.
At least with punk and hardcore they sing about things that people can relate to and have more of a connection to them, I love death metal but its hard to relate to any of the lyrics.

March 04, 2006, 03:27:09 PM
What's not to love about bands like Discharge and The Exploited?

I also liked the preeminent work from bands such as Minor Threat, Black Flag, Vision Of Disorder, and Earth Crisis, thought their politics are, for the most part, the usual liberal tripe.
"Art remains in the artist and is the knowledge by which things are made. What is made according to the art is correct; what one makes as one likes may very well be awkward. We must not confuse taste with judgment, or loveliness with beauty, for as Augustine says, some people like deformities." -- A.K. Coomaraswamy

March 04, 2006, 05:04:40 PM
I like early Suicidal Tendencies, way before Mike Muir became Cyco Myko.

I was in high school in the early 1990's when Green Day exploded and overnight all the kids started dying their hair green and wearing Rancid shirts. It was fucked up. Those kids would have never survived a real Punk/Hardcore show, like ST on the Join the Army tour.  

Wolfbane

March 04, 2006, 05:18:24 PM
Hardcore shelters and transmits pathetic Christian morality to the youth. Do you realize that in my area Churches sponsor hardcore shows after the Sunday Youth services? And that many hardcore shows are housed in Church basements/gyms? These deplorable shows serve as a way for Christians to present and reinforce their philosophies as something "vital" and "fresh".  

Modern "Hardcore". Real Hardcore has nothing to do with these bands.

March 04, 2006, 10:13:38 PM
I never was a Hardcore fan, the music appeals to today's stereotypical youth who know nothing of music, or the reality of things for that matter.

March 05, 2006, 01:25:30 AM
Good punk / hardcore (mostly hardcore...)

Crass - Feeding of the 5000
Rudimentary Peni - Death Church
Bad Brains - S/T, Rock for Light
Dead Kennedys - In God We Trust EP (If you haven't heard this, don't say you don't like the Dead Kennedys)
GBH - City Baby Attacked by Rats
The Exploited - Let's Start a War
DRI - Dirtiest Rottonest LP
Bad Religion - No Control (and most of their other early stuff as well)
NOFX - Ribbed, The Decline (Yeah really poppy obnoxious, but these guys actually know what melody is...)
Operation Ivy: Energy

Yeah I like hardcore music.  If anyone had asked, I would have considered myself a "punk" all the way through high school.  Bad Religion was pretty much the commentary of my life back then.  I should also note that I've found something of value in the ideology of each of the bands listed above.  Yeah, they're all leftist, but most of them are severe enough in that direction that they're at least interesting.  Op Ivy's definetely a stretch though...

March 05, 2006, 03:41:51 AM
The Italian band "Raw Power" was unforgiving!!!

Their crossover masterpiece "Screams From the Gutter" is a MUST for anyone into oldschool hardcore!!!!

March 05, 2006, 12:20:19 PM
Thrash was an extension of the punk aesthetic. Besides the DRI and first Suicidal Tendencies album mentioned above, bands such as Cryptic Slaughter and Corrosion of Conformity also kept the hardcore ethos alive after the genre had died. If you like punk, check 'em out!
"Art remains in the artist and is the knowledge by which things are made. What is made according to the art is correct; what one makes as one likes may very well be awkward. We must not confuse taste with judgment, or loveliness with beauty, for as Augustine says, some people like deformities." -- A.K. Coomaraswamy

March 06, 2006, 07:10:28 PM
Septic Death, god damn it!

March 06, 2006, 09:50:42 PM
Septic Death, god damn it!

Thaw!!! ;)

March 09, 2006, 06:25:07 PM

Thaw!!! ;)

Yes! "My people: Why won't you listen? Why don't you care?!!" Very relevant now we're all doomed by water!

Metal fact: Kirk Hammet plays lead on'Kichigai'. Wow.

March 16, 2006, 03:33:17 AM
Survey topics suck.

I think this site has gone farther than any other metal site to recognize punk hardcore, but that genre died about 1985.

What followed was imitators, much in the way that Black Witchery imitates Darkthrone and is 1/10 as good if even that.

Essential:
Black Flag - Damaged
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
the Exploited - Death Before Dishonour
Minor Threat - Complete Discography

I would add the following racist bands:
Bad Brains - I Against I
Skrewdriver - Voice of Britain

Wolfbane

March 16, 2006, 11:57:40 PM
Bad Brains isn't really my cup of tea but it is respectable unlike nucore.