Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Feminist magazine BITCH writes about metal

Feminist magazine BITCH writes about metal
September 23, 2009, 04:21:35 PM

These pages are from Bitch, a feminist magazine, from issue 41 (Fall 2008), and contain the article "Horning In -- The case for feminist metal. Plus: A guide to the heaviest women in rock."

They are presented here for academic study and mirth of those in the underground metal community.

Megaupload / Rapidshare (8mb, JPG)

Re: Feminist magazine BITCH writes about metal
September 23, 2009, 05:36:53 PM
This was interesting: it took the typical cultural misconception of metal and laughed at it for supporting the "dominant culture" while also assuming that metal is about toppling every dominant culture. All breadth and no depth, which seems fitting for the magazine's target readership.

I think they also believe that outward appearance > intrinsic form.

Pardon my spergin', but just looking at how they're talking about LGBT and ecofeminist shit like WITTR, you can see how they're just doing the worst thing and emphasizing who they are in the "scene" as opposed to emphasizing their music. They have all the appealing adjectives, like "grim kvlt homofeminazi metal", but nothing to show for it in the material, other than "pure shit."

I honestly didn't even realize that Bolt Thrower had a female bassist, because who's playing the instruments doesn't really matter so much as how the damn songs are being put together. If your music is going to be so lackluster that your gimmick has to be "WE R GIRLZ! GRLPOWA!", then step the fuck off. If your music doesn't suck, you don't have to worry about being ridiculed.

As for women in metal, more power to them: Just don't think that being the token girl makes you special. It's a kind of music that anyone can like, but that few can understand.

I do like how Angela Gossow says that being a musician is more important than dressing like one, good for her, even though she's just a vocalist in a metalcore band.

Now, they do say that women have quite the presence in "symphonic black metal" and "gothic metal" because it has a feminized aesthetic -- further proof that outward appearance > intrinsic form to them.

So remember: don't think that wearing spiky shit and jamming with the guys is going to make your music "metal." You have to truly, truly understand it first. It's like finding God. Once you find it and understand, then you'll know.

September 25, 2009, 02:40:15 PM
I couldn't even finish the first paragraph.  Every bone in my body - even those tiny ones in the ears - was telling me that this was the single worst thing I would ever read, if I continued.  I'm glad I listened to me - I have no idea what I just avoided, but I have a feeling it may have been a day's worth of RAGE.  From what I could tell, they took the image of the "stupid, primitive, 'masculine' metalhead", and then said that, since this is what everyone who listens to Metal is like, Metal is intrinsically stupid, because the fans reflect the music entirely, and the fans, obviously, are all stupid, primitive, and "masculine", so Metal is stupid, but WE CAN CHANGE IT, BECAUSE WE HAVE POWAH!  COME ON, GALS!

Shoot me now.

September 26, 2009, 01:13:28 AM
Once making a complete ass out of yourself became a no-no, the idiots started to dress up all their malformed thoughts with exotic adjectives and prefixes, as if those words made them anything more than they already are: crap.

September 26, 2009, 05:01:13 AM
LOL, the first paragraph asserts thst most people think that there's no room for homosexuals in metal... talk about ignorant of the genre's history!

September 26, 2009, 06:39:02 PM
LOL, the first paragraph asserts thst most people think that there's no room for homosexuals in metal... talk about ignorant of the genre's history!

Metalheads have a notorious reputation for being homophobic. That's probly where they culled their assertion from.

But then, most metalheads are morons and probly have never even met a gay person.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

Metalheads have a notorious reputation for being homophobic. That's probly where they culled their assertion from.

But then, most metalheads are morons and probly have never even met a gay person.

True, but you have to remember that Metal came of age in the 80's, a time when basically all of decent society was unapologetically "homophobic"(that is to say anti-faggotry). I would agree that Metalheads/Hessians were more vocally anti-gay, but generally no more ideologically so than most of society at that time. Although I am essentially ambivalent about homosexuality on the whole, I will never be comfortable with it to be perfectly honest - that's how deep-rooted those ideas are to many of us old bastards. 

NHA

Related:  There is apparently a feminist metal blog now.

Oh God, I laughed.

I bet she worships Angela Gossow's penis.

Edit: Confirmed.

/Facepalm.

If I tried, I couldn't think how that blog could be worse.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

Quote from: AnHero
http://feministheadbanger.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/periods-are-metal/
Well, menstrual blood does contain high levels of iron.

True, but you have to remember that Metal came of age in the 80's, a time when basically all of decent society was unapologetically "homophobic"(that is to say anti-faggotry). I would agree that Metalheads/Hessians were more vocally anti-gay, but generally no more ideologically so than most of society at that time. Although I am essentially ambivalent about homosexuality on the whole, I will never be comfortable with it to be perfectly honest - that's how deep-rooted those ideas are to many of us old bastards. 
It could also be part of the natural repulsion towards homosexuals. You have to remember, it is a mental disability. Metal should never promote the weak.