Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Spergin'

Spergin'
September 26, 2009, 02:42:10 AM
Fascinating:

Neurotypical programming

* Sequential programs
    * Analysis starts with whole system and goes toward details. (top-down method)
    * State-machines
    * Variables with distinct number of values.
    * Global structures
    * Conditional programming
    * Polling as planning method

Aspie programming

* Object-oriented programming
    * Analysis starts with details and goes toward the whole system. (bottom-up, or object-oriented analysis)
    * Encapsulation of structures in classes (objects)
    * Events as planning method
    * Multithreaded programming

http://www.rdos.net/eng/it.htm

The rest is worth reading.

I think Aspies resemble some very positive traits that have gone awry, in part because our society has zero value for asocial but brilliant people. It's all about making others happy.

Spergs away!

NHA

Re: Spergin'
September 26, 2009, 04:47:48 AM
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

It'd be interesting to see a graph of the scores on this forum. I can set up something real quick to collect results if people care.

September 26, 2009, 05:12:30 AM
Your Aspie score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200

This could explain the past few days I've spent trying to translate Vatha's GuitarPro file of Cries From A Restless Soul (from the "Metal Score Project" thread) into something by a string quartet, even though I don't know the first thing about playing a violin.

September 26, 2009, 06:52:46 AM

Your Aspie score: 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

What the hell is Aspie hunting?

NHA

September 26, 2009, 08:02:55 AM
There are some notes on the site somewhere about aspies making more traps for hunting than NT's do.

September 26, 2009, 08:34:05 AM

Your Aspie score: 55 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 143 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

One thing I will say, is that the only reason I'm at all good in social situations is because I've learnt, purposefully, since I was a child, how to be good in social situations, so that I can now hold a relatively "normal" conversation naturally.

Also, one more thing: I am almost completely certain that most of the people I have ever been "in a social situation" with have Asperger Syndrome or something similar.  They're all a bit negatively retarded.

September 26, 2009, 09:57:13 AM

Your Aspie score: 129 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 84 of 200

Great I now have a label!
Firmly entrenched in Chucks butt!

September 26, 2009, 11:43:52 AM

Your Aspie score: 57 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 126 of 200

:3

September 26, 2009, 02:17:20 PM
The hunting and perception parts are pretty much the same thing. One of the main theories on Asperger's/Autism is that the developmental differences are caused by genes that are in our gene pool due to interbreeding with Neanderthals and Neanderthals' neurological differences caused them to have different perceptions and thus different hunting habits. People still use traits that were initially developed for hunting, so some odd "Aspie" behaviors are linked to ancient Neanderthal hunting methods.

Your Aspie score: 75 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200

Well uh, I'm diagnosed with Asperger's so I'm not sure what to make of this. I had occupational therapy for clumsiness when I was little and I grew up in a very socially inclined family so that might explain it. Then again, there could be nothing wrong with me at all =]

September 27, 2009, 01:20:03 AM

Your Aspie score: 169 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Im not surprised, at all...
Master of broken english!

September 27, 2009, 01:06:46 PM

"Your Aspie score : 158 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score : 48 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie."

Meh.

September 27, 2009, 05:19:47 PM
Neurotypical programming

* Sequential programs
    * Analysis starts with whole system and goes toward details. (top-down method)
    * State-machines
    * Variables with distinct number of values.
    * Global structures
    * Conditional programming
    * Polling as planning method

Aspie programming

* Object-oriented programming
    * Analysis starts with details and goes toward the whole system. (bottom-up, or object-oriented analysis)
    * Encapsulation of structures in classes (objects)
    * Events as planning method
    * Multithreaded programming

http://www.rdos.net/eng/it.htm

Intriguing.

I'm a programming newb. I've been told that OOP is bullshit (I don't know much about it), how is it more effective, aside from faster speeds through multi-threading?

NHA

September 27, 2009, 08:07:08 PM
Multi-threading isn't really one of OOP's strong points - too much state, mutability, and computations that rely on side effects. Purely Functional Programming lends itself to concurrency and parallelism better.

Regardless, Its still non-trivial to effectively use concurrency and parallelism to its fullest.

To be fair, its not that OOP is bullshit so much as it is hugely over-hyped and somewhat idiot friendly. Most nerds just resent all the morons in the industry (most of whom use shit like java).

You really need experience in all the major paradigms to be well rounded:

* Logic programming (Prolog)
* Purely Functional Programming (Haskell)
* OOP (java/c++ - neither are really pure OO but are useful to know. Eiffel or Smalltalk might be interesting to consider, depending what your goals are)
* Procedural (C)
* Assembly (IA32)

I'd probably avoid java/c++ from the OOP category at first. Mainly cause if you learn C and already know OOP concepts you get C++ for free. And once you know C++ its trivial to learn languages like Java or D.

Also, you want to understand the trade-offs between strongly typed languages and dynamically typed ones.

Hardest language on the list is probably Haskell, but i like it the most. Python is the easiest.

C and Assembly are essential for understanding how shit works under the hood - everything else is built on top of it. All the other languages are just to expand your ability to problem solve.

And btw the order i learned languages was: Python -> C -> IA32 Assembly -> Bash -> C++ -> VB (useless) -> Java -> D -> Haskell -> Erlang -> Prolog

September 28, 2009, 10:42:08 PM

Your Aspie score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 105 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Hmm.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://last.fm/user/ckyheather7

September 28, 2009, 10:57:30 PM

This online quiz seems less biased, considering the very different results. Donno though.