Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal "is inherently conservative"

Metal "is inherently conservative"
October 04, 2009, 04:19:38 PM
And yet, there is a problem: for all the volume, aggression, cartoony outrage and triple-sixes, metal, like horror, is inherently conservative. Our issue here isn’t the devil or evil in the music. It wasn’t God that most of the scariest metal bands reacted against, but Darwin. From Sabbath down through the subsequent metalloid generations – Iron Maiden or Judas Priest or the hair-farmer bands or the Norwegian church-burners – we feel the presence of an anti-evolutionary movement. Flat-Earthers, all. Woolly mammoths lumbering into the musical tarpits to get stuck forever in one shtick or trope or style. Change? Change is … gay. And no, following your Black Mass album with a thematic leap to Necromancer IV: The Witching is not considered a sign of musical evolution.

A reviewer once remarked of Metallica that the only problem with them was they didn’t “rock,” and I know what he meant. Military tempos don’t “rock,” because rock ultimately requires swing, and it’s hard to swing without a feminine element. On the thinking behind the Metallica or Black Album, Hetfield has said they wanted something “really bouncy, really lively – something that just has a lot of groove to it.”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/Metal+evolution/1984480/story.html

Re: Metal "is inherently conservative"
October 05, 2009, 05:00:13 AM
Metal has a rhythmic physicality to it that  really can only be matched by classical as far as the major genres of music are concerned.

Rhythmically, most pop music is languid, with little more than a slow, steady background pulse.

Jazz uses the same lazy pop beat, it just disguise it by adding a swing to its step.

Metal and classical are genres that generally lack any sort of constant pulse (and if they do, it's usually too fast to "tap along" to), as they prefer to change rhythms and tempos frequently, which creates "undanceable" music.

When music can't be danced to, it must be listened to, and that is something that the casual music fan simply does not want to do; they want something to occupy their bodies, not their minds.

Most people want music to be an "escape" or a "relaxant" instead of sounding "war-like" or "confrontational," which metal (and classical) often are.

NHA

October 05, 2009, 08:17:45 AM
I dunno, some of the faster jazz style drumming is probably compatible with metal - assuming they don't attempt it for the sake of novelty/swing.

My problem with jazz has never been with the rhythm section, its all the other instruments that are terrible haha.

October 05, 2009, 09:45:27 AM
Most people want music to be an "escape" or a "relaxant" instead of sounding "war-like" or "confrontational," which metal (and classical) often are.

Nor do those same people want or can approach something that is 'reflective' or 'contemplative', which good Metal and Classical often are.

October 05, 2009, 03:23:07 PM
Re: 1st and 3rd replies

How many times has this been said?  Most people are idiots, most people don't get Metal because they're too unintelligent, Metal is far deeper than Pop/Rock, Metal must be listened to actively rather than passively, blah blah blah.

I don't mean to offend the individuals who brought these points back up, again, in this thread, but, honestly, can't we shut up about it?  I think, by now, most of the people who are going to understand this concept, already understand it.  Kicking a dead donkey won't kill it any more than it already is killed.

October 09, 2009, 11:59:38 PM
I don't mean to offend the individuals who brought these points back up, again, in this thread, but, honestly, can't we shut up about it?  I think, by now, most of the people who are going to understand this concept, already understand it.  Kicking a dead donkey won't kill it any more than it already is killed.

Sorry, not everyone is at the same stage of understanding as everyone else: People aren't equal.

Better to repeat the message again and again while not preaching to the choir too much. There's lots of lurkers on this forum.

Truthful messages are bound to be repeated again and again in many forms. That's just how truth is, and it's also a better way to get a rounded understanding of a concept. A lot of people get antsy when they see something similar to what they've seen before, so they shy away from it. That's not necessarily a good thing at all.

MLK

October 10, 2009, 12:20:45 PM
The ideas behind the article seems counter intuitive. Just because something hasn't changed much doesn't mean its unevolved. If anything the fact that arbitrary changes quickly die out prove its darwinistic credentials.

No one would accuse the crocodile of being unevolved, yet its hardly changed in a long, long time. Its found something that works (strong, effective, fit for survival) and found a relevant niche for itself in its environment. so it is with metal

DARWINISM is inherently conservative.