Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Sexism" in extreme metal

"Sexism" in extreme metal
October 04, 2009, 04:32:54 PM
This weekend marks the 16th-Annual Women’s Music Festival in Iowa City, an event full of performances by female musicians at various local venues. There will be a diverse range of music present at the event, but there is one genre missing from the list — heavy metal.

The trend of women in metal bands has been a hot discussion topic in many recent issues of music magazines, but the headlines and descriptions tend to read more like Maxim than typical band profiles. Revolver is a heavy music magazine that has an annual edition dedicated to “The Hottest Chicks in Metal.” The 2007 edition’s cover featured “20 smokin’ pages” of women decked out in leather and lingerie.

“I kind of feel like women have always been told it’s not really ladylike to be aggressive and powerful,” said Tasha Hoffman, the lead singer of the Iowa City death-metal band Identity Crisis. “I think that women nowadays are just realizing that they can do the stuff that men are doing, if not as good, then even better. And screaming in people’s faces is not really considered attractive, but, you know, it shows power.”

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2009/09/11/Arts/12797.html

Re: "Sexism" in extreme metal
October 04, 2009, 05:29:43 PM
Alright then, Tasha.  You can have your power.  And your lonely, loveless future.

October 04, 2009, 06:15:57 PM
Oh lawd, feminazis the world over, unite!

NHA

October 04, 2009, 08:07:45 PM
Yes lets mindlessly imitate males to show them how much better we are at being them. I guess playing tambourine in your boyfriends shitty rock band doesn't give the attention you require.

How may of the greatest albums in thrash/death/black/speed metal are from females? How many of the greatest accomplishments in human history were made by females?

Talk is cheap - put up or shut up.

October 04, 2009, 08:18:34 PM
Yes lets mindlessly imitate males to show them how much better we are at being them. I guess playing tambourine in your boyfriends shitty rock band doesn't give the attention you require.

How may of the greatest albums in thrash/death/black/speed metal are from females? How many of the greatest accomplishments in human history were made by females?

Talk is cheap - put up or shut up.

I've been observing this as well, I've yet to come to an understanding of WHY there has been no female role in metal. I think most women just hate the image and think they're getting themselves iinto some weird occult-oriented lifestyle or something.

Also, put out or get out.

October 05, 2009, 01:45:40 AM
Women do not NEED to prove to men that they are better at being men, because they are women. Men are NOT good at being women. Vise versa. Why the hell can't people just realize that modern crazed liberal feminism is an intellectual deathtrap?

Also, tits or GTFO.

October 05, 2009, 03:20:05 PM
The women that sucked at being women decided that they should be "allowed" to be men, instead, and so they campaigned for all women to be forced to be "allowed" to be more like men (read: forced to be more like men), and now women who are women are weird because they aren't like men.  How many twenty to thirty year olds wear dresses, daily, compared to the number who wear jeans and t-shirts, or suits?  How does this compare to twenty, thirty, forty, fifty years ago?  Obviously, there's more to it than that, but it's an interesting thought - it is now "normal" for women to dress like men, thereby negating any "femininity" that a woman might have.

October 06, 2009, 09:05:30 PM
women in metal

LSK

Onielar

October 07, 2009, 10:06:31 AM
How many of the greatest accomplishments in human history were made by females?

Childbirth maybe?

Behind every great man there's a great woman. Or a bitch that really fucked him up.

NHA

October 07, 2009, 11:00:45 AM
Yea, step aside von Neumann, Nadya Suleman lapped you 14 times over.

October 07, 2009, 11:51:29 AM
Well, there's Funerus...

October 08, 2009, 02:33:59 AM
The women that sucked at being women decided that they should be "allowed" to be men, instead, and so they campaigned for all women to be forced to be "allowed" to be more like men (read: forced to be more like men), and now women who are women are weird because they aren't like men.  How many twenty to thirty year olds wear dresses, daily, compared to the number who wear jeans and t-shirts, or suits?  How does this compare to twenty, thirty, forty, fifty years ago?  Obviously, there's more to it than that, but it's an interesting thought - it is now "normal" for women to dress like men, thereby negating any "femininity" that a woman might have.

Allow me to disagree with you slightly. A woman can still wear t shirts and jeans and still look womanly. Tshirts and jeans are modified to fit the female figure by a lot of manufacturers.

So far as suits though, I totally agree. Not really seeing the appeal of a woman in a tux.

October 08, 2009, 01:33:09 PM
I pulled an example out of thin air, and it almost worked.  Unfortunately, somebody actually read what I said...

Bugger.

October 08, 2009, 02:22:47 PM
I pulled an example out of thin air, and it almost worked.  Unfortunately, somebody actually read what I said...

Bugger.

:)

Oh what a shame that some people pay attention nowadays, eh?

October 13, 2009, 11:02:19 PM
Of course women can play metal, Jo-Anne Bench from Bolt Thrower is an awesome bassist. While it's probably not the norm for most women to express themselves this way, there certainly is room for any talented musician to try and make powerful, meaningful metal. However, in other cases, a woman might not fit the aesthetic needed to create tasteful metal, as is the case with later Arch Enemy (who never made good music to begin with) and Sinister.