Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"Sexism" in extreme metal

Re: "Sexism" in extreme metal
October 14, 2009, 01:18:52 AM
I think there are fewer women in music than men because women tend to be more practical than men are.  They use common sense.  Why get a bunch of people together to make noise for a few hours, prance around on a stage, and travel around?  What have you accomplished?  In the real world, the roof needs fixing, the kids need to get to school, and the lawn won't mow itself.  Looking at history this becomes more evident.  Why sail across the ocean?  You have a home here.  Why study what makes things stick to the ground?  It works without you knowing why doesn't it?  These aren't bad things, just a different thought process.  Males, however, tend to have more of a lust for the absurd which has made him responsible for the majority of art and discoveries we enjoy today.  A few examples: Christopher Columbus, Lief Erickson, Leonardo da Vinci.  This isn't a strictly male trend though.  Women have made their input to the arts and sciences as well.  Hildegard von Bingen was one of the first people to notate music, Marie Curie developed the theory of radioactivity.  On the topic of music, I think its less important who is playing the music than what is produced.  A boring band is a boring band regardless of who is in it.

October 14, 2009, 03:54:59 AM
"Women have a much stronger urge to compromise and to avoid unnecessary exertion, that's for certain. I definitely don't feel that this always stems out of a practical mindset, however. For instance, women are far more prone to sympathize with a criminal than a man is. Apparently in Nordic tribes land-owning men who desired to be heard in community decisions needed a wife to balance out his harsh, logical decisions with sympathetic consideration, so you can see how this stereotype extends far back into history."

Good point.  It makes sense then that women, for the most part, would avoid an aggressive style like metal.  Maybe the low numbers of women in metal is more due to lack of interest?

October 14, 2009, 05:46:26 AM
The women that sucked at being women decided that they should be "allowed" to be men, instead, and so they campaigned for all women to be forced to be "allowed" to be more like men (read: forced to be more like men), and now women who are women are weird because they aren't like men.  How many twenty to thirty year olds wear dresses, daily, compared to the number who wear jeans and t-shirts, or suits?  How does this compare to twenty, thirty, forty, fifty years ago?  Obviously, there's more to it than that, but it's an interesting thought - it is now "normal" for women to dress like men, thereby negating any "femininity" that a woman might have.

Allow me to disagree with you slightly. A woman can still wear t shirts and jeans and still look womanly. Tshirts and jeans are modified to fit the female figure by a lot of manufacturers.

But the same effect as applied to the other end of the spectrum only proves the point - hipster boys like wearing girl jeans. And, sometimes, makeup. Cargést's observation was truthful - femininity has lost value. T-shirts and jeans being modified to fit the female form only seems to parallel the problem in a microcosmic way; women can't change their bodies to fit into "male" clothing (although some fail at trying to do so), but modifying that clothing to fit their own bodies is relatively simple.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

October 14, 2009, 11:44:29 PM
But the same effect as applied to the other end of the spectrum only proves the point - hipster boys like wearing girl jeans. And, sometimes, makeup. Cargést's observation was truthful - femininity has lost value. T-shirts and jeans being modified to fit the female form only seems to parallel the problem in a microcosmic way; women can't change their bodies to fit into "male" clothing (although some fail at trying to do so), but modifying that clothing to fit their own bodies is relatively simple.

Your point is understood, and appreciated. My intent was to express that just because a woman wears jeans, she does not automatically become masculine.

The tight jeans thing is an epidemic though, and fortunately it only effects some of the male population. I like to have some breathing room down there. Sometimes I wonder if every hipster guy has been castrated.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

October 15, 2009, 12:49:28 AM
Sometimes I wonder if every hipster guy has been castrated.

Was this ever truly in doubt?

October 15, 2009, 08:04:04 PM
It's not that they actually are castrated, it's that they wish that they could be castrated.  I mean, you know, it's just, like, so mainstream to have a cock if you're a man, you know, so, like, it's ironic, to, you know, like?

October 22, 2009, 07:09:54 PM
Wendy O. and her band , the Plasmatics, have been pretty much forgotten nowdays, but she was a completely outrageous punk agitator. She sawed guitars in half with a chainsaw and blew up police cars on stage. Once she drove a car into a pile of explosives on a New York harbour and jumped out at the last minute. after she did that, she went straight to Florida to wrestle alligators. I thought : This chick is fucking excellent !

Lemmy, White Line Fever, p. 160-161

suicide on April 6th, 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6icCe78TE