Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Death/black metal on mainstream radio

Re: Death/black metal on mainstream radio
October 25, 2009, 07:17:31 AM

This is what I was thinking.  A good way to attract non-hipsters and non-depressed goth/outcast types is via "mainstream."  Enter Sandman on MTV and Seasons in the Abyss in the high school weight room trickles down into my friends' older brothers (who were "popular," well-adjusted, and "cool") listening to Slayer, Sepultura, Deicide, and Morbid Angel when I'm in middle school.  That, in turn, gives me an exposure to extreme metal when I'm 12 and I sort of look up to these guys because they're cool and they lift weights and they play football.  The Sepultura was "Chaos A.D." and the Morbid Angel was "Domination," but it didn't matter because the seed had been planted, and I had an appreciation for metal in a NON-IRONIC way.  Later on when I'm in college I discover black metal, I was late to the party, but hey, in 1991 I was only 8 years old.  The point is that when kids are 12-17 yrs. old, the well-adjusted kids tend toward the mainstream (whatever it may be) and usually branch out a little later on.  I say Immortal or Vader on the radio is better for metal, and kids, in general, than hip-hop/rap on the radio.

I dunno. I got some buddies who were born and raised in America's heartland. Good breeding, decent values, shitty taste in music. the last part is forgivable which is why I hang with them. They were like the jocks and potheads I hung out with in high school who listened to metalcore: good for a chuckle, but ultimately moronic. They had a humble upbringing, a good work ethic, and had some semblance of backbone, but had no ideals or aspirations beyond fame/success. This breed of exceptional idiot is looking for a good time, not knowledge. Not to say that with proper training they can't make good citizens but that they add nothing to artistic understanding. And these kids are, unlike me, musically literate (think: Berklee).

October 26, 2009, 04:53:20 PM
I gotcha.  I'm just saying I think it's better for metal to not be the realm of the outcast or outcast sympathizer.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

October 26, 2009, 05:16:42 PM
So basically, metal on the radio ought to come with one of those "Don't try this at home kids, these are professionals at work" warnings.

October 31, 2009, 09:36:16 PM
I think this is a bad idea, because it can potentially attract groups we don't want into the genre, and mainstream bands may wish to adapt to this style.

November 01, 2009, 06:06:22 AM
I think this is a bad idea, because it can potentially attract groups we don't want into the genre, and mainstream bands may wish to adapt to this style.

In what way, exactly, has this not already occurred?
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

November 03, 2009, 10:09:57 PM
In many ways this can be seen as a potetnial rememdy against that as it will be aimed at promoting good metal rather over typical mainstream assumptions.
In a state of permanent Abyss

November 07, 2009, 09:16:44 PM
It seems to be a bad idea.  Even when confronted with quality music, most people only hear the 'exterior'.  It seems best to increase the amount of shit being played on the radio to keep the masses complacent and satisfied... play Killswitch Engage, etc. over the PA in the death camp.

Like "Proletcult" in Orwell's 1984 - give the masses manufactured garbage as you exploit them for your own ends... or send them to their ends.
"Just like your ancestors
you will fight today."

-Rob Darken

February 21, 2010, 06:10:22 AM
Furthermore, I believe that quality Metal should stay underground, as it needs to maintain its occult roots.

Maybe it is the occult or perhaps non-modernist that needs mainstreamed. Metal and other phenomenon might then follow suit.

Like "Proletcult" in Orwell's 1984 - give the masses manufactured garbage as you exploit them for your own ends... or send them to their ends.

Let's assume the Great Pyramids are a persistent testimony to the sort of greatness or purpose that having a civilization in the first place can produce. We have learned that it was not forced enslavement, but instead a willing people inspired by and in awe of their god-kings who willingly worked themselves so hard to bring evidence of their lasting greatness into the world.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

March 04, 2010, 05:15:50 AM
greater exposure brings new blood to the genre and it also brings an influx of posers. you need to balance the two, obviously. there needs to be avenues for newcomers to reach the underground (like mainstream radio) but we don't want to saturate society with it.

I concur...it's always a risk when you stretch beyond your limits to greater - for lack of a better term - "accessibility," but there are still just as many genuine, interested newcomers to the genre(s) and movement(s) as there are posers.  After all, Beethoven had total faith and optimistic hope in the beauty and value of his art that it would be appreciated by those who could appreciate it for what it truly is...even if it was after his time.  Same with extreme metal.  If you have faith that the integrity and beauty of like-minded musicians/composers will maintain their artistic beauty and honesty, it will help with the extreme music of extreme metal to filter out newcomers who are "wannabe's," "posers," "imitators," etc. from the true, decent, genuine and sincerely honest converts who voluntarily wish to become a part of this art and carry it onto the next generation

After all, you can't make people aware of say, for example, Gorgoroth as a legitimately good black metal band if it's always TOTALLY HIDDEN from but the slightest human contact.  If you expose it, people will notice it - some at mere face value, some for what it truly is.  But it's a risk we have to be willing to try and take.
The mind is a product of the brain; the soul is a product of the choices that brain makes. Nothing is equal; in physics, they refer to a state of equality as "entropy."

March 04, 2010, 05:26:59 AM
I find it's quite tricky.  In the context of extreme metal in general, we don't want to sacrifice our grassroots by making ourselves over-accessible to the mainstream, but just as equally, if we remain TOO HIDDEN there may be no more room for growth as there will be no genuine newcomers and then the art/music/movement would cascade into stagnancy and sterility.

I ask, where and how do you find a balance between a) integral maintenance of artistic authenticity and b)  "fair" accessibility for honest, interested newcomers?
The mind is a product of the brain; the soul is a product of the choices that brain makes. Nothing is equal; in physics, they refer to a state of equality as "entropy."

March 04, 2010, 11:56:56 PM
You know the pyramid shown on the back of the dollar bill? The upper part is detached from the body and base. Why? The detached part you might call God, the Prime Cause, The One, etc. This part cannot be perceived or affected by the whole order underneath itself. Yet, it is the cause of the whole.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

March 07, 2010, 02:28:22 AM
"Mainstream metal" doesnt even get radio air play where i live. there are few hard rock stations, and if they are going to play something "heavy" they will play Newer Metallica material, or Godsmack or Alice in Chains(new material only).  So death metal on the radio wouldnt be popular with most, which is good. It will never happen though most mainstream radio listeners like to hear the same song a few times a day, so if it was metal it would get boring. Death/Black metal doesnt belong on the mainstream radio.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

April 22, 2010, 08:13:02 PM
Meh, I couldn't care less if underground metal went mainstream. I doubt you would turn on the radio and hear Paysage d'hiver or Circle of Ouroborus playing though. Like anything mainstream, you have to cater to the masses. Considering that "metal" is an extremely diverse and expansive genre, it wouldn't be easy to find something to agree on. Hence the reason a popular facet of the music exists, and a style that will be built upon in up and coming artists.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

April 22, 2010, 08:20:03 PM
How are either of those (entirely crap) bands underground, in the first place?

April 22, 2010, 09:11:23 PM
How are either of those (entirely crap) bands underground, in the first place?

I'm not  sure how "underground" you're willing to get. Say four kids in their basement playing music to the only people who've heard of them, themselves? Those bands aren't recognized as anything remotely mainstream. Therefore they're underground.

I agree with the crap sentiment.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.