Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Building your own computer

Building your own computer
October 22, 2009, 02:02:57 AM
Pros? Cons? Why? Seems more affordable. Useful skill also if your looking to get something seriously low tech that works.

Re: Building your own computer
October 22, 2009, 02:10:51 AM
"We recommend you to assemble your own computer, not only because it is much more fun and cheap, but also to avoid incompabilities and be able to use hardware that generally is of higher quality."

http://www.corrupt.org/data/files/computers/

Do it. You'll know your criteria, pre-assembled may have junk you will not need and may not meet your criteria. Plus, with pre-assembled shit, you may get some integrated hardware that prevents you from upgrading one shitty component of your machine.

October 22, 2009, 04:59:20 PM
Pros:

You get a better computer.

Cons:

Takes about 8-10 hours of research into what you're going to use, then you have to order it and assemble it, and if parts don't work, RMA them.

You also have to get your own operating system, which adds cost as the OEM versions of windows are about $120-150. However, you can use BSD, Lunix or Haiku and they're free.

Advice:

Stick with major brands and stuff that's 18+ months old. You won't come into conflict with this rule unless you want a really cheap computer (under $400) or a really cutting-edge (over $2000) one.

If you just want cheap, your $400 Dell is better than what you can do -- but for another hundred bucks, you can get a much higher-performing machine with none of the goofy.

October 22, 2009, 09:39:00 PM
I've been able to buy a mobo and RAM from local shops and they make a deal giving the OS at OEM rates. It helps to throw some business at small businesses. The prices for components that are some months old are comparable or only slightly higher than an average online cost.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

October 26, 2009, 12:41:31 AM
It is also worth pointing out that the computer industry discourages people from building their own machines. All new generation CPUs require different motherboards which in turn require different forms of RAM. Thus you cant simply go out and buy a new CPU, but you need to buy other chips as well. Motherboard producers have also done so far as putting motherbaord screwholes in places that wont match up with old cases.

NHA

October 26, 2009, 01:36:11 AM
Resellers like Sony have been known to use non standard sizing in their PCs so certain things wont fit if you try to drop them in as an upgrade.

If you buy all the components yourself though it shouldnt be a problem - unless the people who designed your case made assumptions they shouldn't have (like assuming video cards wouldnt end up 18 inches long haha). If the case sucks and things are blocking components you can usually just drill out the fasteners.

Anyway, Mobo/cpu/ram combo is usually a cheap upgrade. If you keep your old hdds/cdrw/vid and dump 600$ on mobo/ram/cpu you pretty much have a better setup than most 2k$ computers from retailers.

Of course if you don't use your computer for anything but email/http/word-processing (like 90% of the population) you don't need to upgrade. Just install an OS thats more lightweight.

Xmonad is kind of a hot window manager btw (uses 2mb of mem).

October 28, 2009, 06:30:37 PM
I use an assembled PC. I tell my PC guy what all I want and he assembles that in the PC for me, whereas its like a take it or leave it with branded PCs. Anybody here knows how to assemble a laptop?