Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bringing back bbs.anus.com

Bringing back bbs.anus.com
November 02, 2009, 04:56:01 PM
Do we need a place for people to discuss non-metal topics in a way that doesn't reflect on and polarize the metal community here?

If so, I think bbs.anus.com should return and should have two parts:

1. An uncensored, free for all like 4chan
2. A brain trust forum that's heavily moderated

The reason is that most people on forums are the chaff left over when you subtract the people who have a direction or clue. I don't know how many times I've found out that the moderator or bigwig on a board is living on disability, retired, a drug addict, etc.

There are however people who do have a clue and want to use these to try out information on other people or learn from them.

Real debate is a healthy part of that, but doesn't exist on uncensored forums and never has. Too easily idiots disrupt the flow or spam the place with repetitive memes.

There seems to be interest in quality discussion however. My suggestion is that we make it a "brain trust" where people debate stuff to an end, like "we're going to find the twenty best resources for American politics."

Re: Bringing back bbs.anus.com
November 02, 2009, 06:32:21 PM
I am very interested in making great discussions and seeing other world viewpoints. Filter out the unwanted is a  crucial part of this...

November 02, 2009, 06:48:28 PM
I think this sounds like a great idea. I think we all know that the rather polarizing views of ANUS tend to drive away a lot of well meaning and intelligent people, who I think in most cases are just young and don't like being told what to do and listen to. As of now ANUS is the only serious metal site containing intelligent discussion that I know of. A more open forum could really allow ANUS to spread quality ideas and music to a greater number of people.

It's always possible that the idea could fail in the end, but it's something that should be explored anyway. If it fails, then it fails, and we move on.

November 03, 2009, 01:47:52 AM

What's the point of this when 4chan already exists? What makes this site different from the rest of the internet is its hostility towards the average person, who uses the internet to bolster his pathetic life with pseudo-social networks and egoist "personality building." If you remove censorship, you're eliminating a vital component of this hostility and giving the idiots one more forum for voicing their inadequacies. Why can't they just use the rest of the internet instead?

November 03, 2009, 02:49:46 AM
Chasm -> redirect to RttP forum
Cadre -> bbs.anus.com

November 03, 2009, 03:00:10 AM
I'd like to see the bbs anus/corrupt forum back. I do find that some things that I'd like to post don't fit very well in a metal forum.

November 03, 2009, 03:12:41 AM
The topics got too explicitly far right, far left or libertarian anarchist because people for whatever reason seek an identity pattern to interface with underlying truths. If that layer could be removed, which isn't easy, the discussions would improve.

November 03, 2009, 05:54:56 AM

What's the point of this when 4chan already exists?

Not that I'm endorsing it in any way, but 4chan and the other *chan clones aren't the same today as they were in 2005-2007; Participants weren't necessarily kids amusing themselves with simply being on 4chan - OMG 4CHAN LOOK AT ME I AM /b/TARD LOLZ. It wasn't about being there so much as being there and having a common goal of self-amusement through basic internet harassment. Not that this is a reasonable goal at all.

Some good discussions came around, and few participants were tied to a single 'net handle or username to bolster an internet ego, or otherwise IRL one, and this was definitely facilitated by the anonymous, collective nature of the thing. It prevented people from pushing any single worldview or identity onto others (Except for the website itself, of course). But one rotten apple spoils the bunch.

I don't know how to explain it, but it's analogous to people who enjoy the sound of metal and everything associated with it (the external image factor) more than enjoying and understanding what makes metal "metal". By ~2008, those people who made it what it was had already left to other *chan sites, and the hipster *channers came in, turning over internet memes and images with none of lasting humor or "quality", and with no one left to ridicule them away. People were coming to 4chan because it was the "crazy website where crazy things happened ALL THE TIME" XD XD XD

At least that's what I understand, other stories may be different.

NHA

November 03, 2009, 06:52:24 AM
Too easily idiots disrupt the flow or spam the place with repetitive memes.

Tree based layouts on mailing lists tend to work out better than the linear layout you see on most forums i think. When a discussion forks into something trivial or pointless the reader can always just ignore that branch - makes moderating easier too.

There seems to be interest in quality discussion however. My suggestion is that we make it a "brain trust" where people debate stuff to an end, like "we're going to find the twenty best resources for American politics."

For quality discussion you need participants who are actually qualified to discuss the topic. One of the major problems with philosophy and politics is the entry barrier is so low (Most morons have political opinions, but keep their mouth shut about stuff like physics).

How would you qualify people? How many people on this forum would qualify? 5? 10?

At that point youre better off just having them collaborate on articles or something.

November 03, 2009, 01:31:33 PM
Tree based layouts on mailing lists tend to work out better than the linear layout you see on most forums i think. When a discussion forks into something trivial or pointless the reader can always just ignore that branch - makes moderating easier too.

Yet people don't, which is why mailing lists still have the same problems forums do. It's the human behavior that's the issue. We cannot fix it with technology.

I like mailing lists for the reason you mention; some forums also thread like that.

For quality discussion you need participants who are actually qualified to discuss the topic. One of the major problems with philosophy and politics is the entry barrier is so low (Most morons have political opinions, but keep their mouth shut about stuff like physics).

How would you qualify people? How many people on this forum would qualify? 5? 10?

At that point youre better off just having them collaborate on articles or something.

This is the problem with all of the liberal arts: everyone can speak and argue, but not debate, so they want to participate as if they were born equals.

My suggestion would be to open the forum, and delete bad input, so that people who said stupid things did not see their posts remain. What's left after you remove the crap is the good and OK.

It would be great to have people collaborate on articles, but if you talk to Alex Birch or kontinual about that, you'll see how hard it ends up being -- people want to dash something off, call it genius, send it in and have someone else spend a couple hours putting it together and promoting it for them. There's no net time savings in that.

November 03, 2009, 09:44:50 PM
My suggestion would be to open the forum, and delete bad input, so that people who said stupid things did not see their posts remain. What's left after you remove the crap is the good and OK.

slashdot.org is a good example, imo imo.
http://www.slashcode.com/about.shtml

November 06, 2009, 07:36:09 PM
I'd like to see the bbs anus/corrupt forum back. I do find that some things that I'd like to post don't fit very well in a metal forum.

I'd like to keep many of those things off this forum.

Particularly, anything related to biological determinism or non-individualist politics swallows up all conversation. I mean, for once, can we mention Bruckner without Hitler?

No offense to Hitler. He doesn't belong everywhere however. I'm sure he'll find the places he belongs.

I like the idea of an uncensored forum. In particular, none of us want to moderate it; we can do better things with our time than forum people would do, and we then spendour time cleaning up their messes. (Disagree?Volunteer.)

I also like the idea of Cadre, meaning that if you behave and show that you're functional in the community or our web sites or both, you get access to others. Among other things, I'd like it as a space for the most productive members of our little society to meet, befriend or date or whatever.

If we have a workable plan for bringing bbs.anus.com back, I'll do it.