Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

INTP, INTJ - Which is more Aspie?

INTP, INTJ - Which is more Aspie?
November 10, 2009, 04:45:28 AM
The thread that started this: Personality of Hessians

I was reading about the Myers-Briggs types, INTP and INTJ, and this particular article noted that a lot of INTPs will test as INTJs:
http://www.socionics.com/articles/intjorintp.htm

INTP and INTJ may appear externally similar, but they are almost near opposites, with the INTP preferring to focus on details, as a person with Asperger's syndrome would prefer.
http://www.socionics.com/prof/intp2.htm
http://www.socionics.com/prof/intj2.htm

Here's the differences I've gleaned:
The INTJ likes to use ambiguities/generalities to come to certain conclusions, but never sticking with any wholly-unevaluated one, and are focused on the bigger picture -- They are natural philosophizers-with-hammers (Judges), and are unlikely to be Aspie.

The INTP avoids ambiguity, and prefers to stick to "safe certainties" with focus on certain details instead of the bigger picture -- More likely to be Aspie.

I'm unsure of how many of us here have taken the Jung/Myers-Briggs test and whether they follow it or not. A lot of so-called INTJs here may really be INTPs in disguise.

Just spurring some discussion here. I'm not implying that one is better than the other, because both types may as well be aspie nerds in the long run

Re: INTP, INTJ - Which is more Aspie?
November 10, 2009, 06:07:21 PM
I've taken multiple versions and end up with either ISTP or INTP. It's very telling that so many metalheads fall into the same personality types.

November 10, 2009, 08:24:40 PM
Since it was a internet test, I wouldn't qualify it as being 100% accurate so there's a possibility I might not just be INTP.

Do you think there could be a likelihood of having both-  INTP and INTJ or half of each of the personalities?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://last.fm/user/ckyheather7

November 10, 2009, 11:02:23 PM
It's very telling that so many metalheads fall into the same personality types.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/21/science/21gene.html

Might be another of nature's caste rankings!

My only metal listening friend is also an INTP, shares extremely similar political, social, and cultural ideas and values with me, and happened upon ANUS as well before either of us even met each other. And we live in the same rather unimportant and not too large town, this isn't just someone I met on the internet. Many complain about too few "true" metalheads out there, I beg to differ. They're everywhere, but not all of them have discovered  the same information and music we have. This is why sites like ANUS are necessary in these times.

(And neither of us are aspies. It isn't some kind of evolutionary advantage. Get over it.)

November 11, 2009, 12:21:35 AM
I should point out that MBTI and Socionics, while related, are two very different systems.  An INTP in MBTI theory corresponds most closely to an INTj in Socionics and vice-versa.  I believe it has to do mostly with different definitions of what "P" and "J" mean.  I don't want to bore you with too much theory here, but basically in MBTI "J" means that your strongest judging function (thinking or feeling) is extraverted, while "P" means your strongest perceiving function (intuition or sensing) is extraverted.  Compare this to Socionics, where the last letter of your type determines if your dominant function is a judging or percieving one.

For example, in the Myers-Briggs system the functional analysis of an INTP looks like this:

Dominant Function:  Introverted Thinking
Auxiliary Function:  Extraverted iNtuition
Tertiary Function:  Introverted Sensing
Inferior Function:  Extraverted Feeling

While for an INTJ it looks like this:

Dominant:  Introverted iNtuition
Auxiliary:  Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary:  Introverted Feeling
Inferior Extraverted Sensing

In contrast, Socionics description of INTp:

Dominant:  Introverted Intuition
Auxiliary:  Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary:  Extraverted Sensing
Inferior:  Introverted Feeling

and the Socionics INTj:

Dominant:  Introverted Thinking
Auxiliary:  Extraverted Intuition
Tertiary:  Extraverted Feeling
Inferior:  Introverted Sensing

As you can see, the two types are almost exactly flipped depending on which theory you are referring to.  While I'm an INTP according Myer-Briggs, I would probably be classified as INTj in Socionics (I haven't taken that particular test, but am judging this by the type descriptions).  I think it's important that the distinction be made between the two systems in order to avoid further P/J confusion.

As for one type being more likely to be Aspie than the other, I don't know.  I would say that most Aspies are probably either INTP or INTJ though.

November 11, 2009, 06:19:33 AM
As for one type being more likely to be Aspie than the other, I don't know.  I would say that most Aspies are probably either INTP or INTJ though.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. The system similarities had me confused - I tested INTJ on both.

January 10, 2010, 04:04:18 AM
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Aspies

Asperger's has become a fad for those seeking to garner attention unto themselves. In the fine, hallowed tradition of disease whores everywhere, many of today's youth expertly design a disease which kills two birds with one stone by:

1. . Assuming others are born normal rather than work at it, giving the self-proclaimed Aspie an excuse not to make an effort to develop social skills, and
   2. . Assuming they were born smart, rather than merely having had more exposure to books and computers because no one wanted to be around them.

Want to find out if you can justify your failed life with Aspergers? Take the test!

January 10, 2010, 02:05:44 PM
I'm INTJ and about as not-Aspie as one can be.

January 10, 2010, 10:19:12 PM
This might be of interest:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt34337.html

According to the poll, the most common MBTI type for people with Autism spectrum disorders is INTJ (34%), followed by INTP (20%), ISTJ (17%), INFJ (8%), and INFP (7%). Though, alot of the INTJ's could be INTP's in disguise like discussed earlier ITT.

January 14, 2010, 09:00:57 PM
I'm not surprised to see that I'm INTJ and scored high as Neurotypical. However, for a person who knows himself this test won't shed a new light on his personality, maybe help define\understand it.  I'm wondering what conclusions I could make from my results and how I could apply them. Same for all of you folks.