Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Research Paper

Research Paper
November 12, 2009, 01:41:50 AM
have to write an essay. The exact instructions are
     The goal of this essay is to use research to support an original thesis. You need to draw a parallel between two separate things (one of them being literary) and discuss how they overlap. You can choose anything literary you like: short stories, novels, poetry, children's books, etc. for the literary component of the essay. For the other, you can choose anything you like so long as a parallel can be made. Art forms are one avenue; dance, film, visual art, music, architecture all could draw interesting parallels. This is best explained through example:

You could compare a certain type of television to the short story (finding similarities between their structure), film construction to the structure of a novel, paintings to poetry.

Another idea is to take a completely unrelated subject (football, pro wrestling, death metal, medicine...anything that interests you) and find examples of how it's been portrayed in a certain literary genre. For example, when I was in college, I studied gerontology (elder studies) and did a research-based presentation on how the elderly are portrayed in poetry. I used research to support my ideas, but the ideas were my own. I came to the conclusion that most elderly characters in poetry tend to fall into archetypes: the grandfather/grandmother, the hero, the grumpy caricature, etc. You could apply the same formula to a sport...how has a sport been represented in a certain literary genre? The same goes for animals, hobbies, etc. Anything that interests you can find a parallel in literature.

I ask that you propose your idea to be in writing by Friday. I will either approve of it or tell you that you need to make your goal more specific. For example, comparing music and poetry would be too broad for a 2000 word essay. Comparing jazz and poetry of the 1920's, though, would yield an interesting paper. Comparing rap and modern poetry would also yield an interesting paper. My point is, be specific in your aim. Try to not only narrow your literary element to a genre but, perhaps, also to a time period. This will make your research easier and less overwhelming. I'm happy to steer you in the right direction of which literary movement or time period might best benefit your research. For now, try to make a thesis on your own (anything from arguing that architecture (building a house) shares similarities to the construction of a poem to giving and analyzing examples of baseball's influence throughout modern short stories). Please write your proposal in a concise, legible way and I will let you know if you are on the right track. Turning in your proposal counts towards your final essay grade.

You will be responsible for researching both subjects you choose and then deriving your observations from the research. The observations and conclusions must be your own.

I found it amazing how this essay has essentially been written already on this site. Notice that she mentions death metal in the instructions. I had a discussion about death metal with the professor earlier and she supports the cause, though she doesn't not like the screaming.

Re: Research Paper
November 13, 2009, 04:40:05 PM
Another idea is to take a completely unrelated subject (football, pro wrestling, death metal, medicine...anything that interests you) and find examples of how it's been portrayed in a certain literary genre.

I am convinced all of these teachers post here. I will probably not be proven completely wrong.

I think the world has a shortage of essays explaining how metal is an offshoot of the Romantic movement in art and literature.

November 13, 2009, 10:57:14 PM
That would probably be due to an overly-saturated population with too many distractions on their hands! Why should they care about something mature and beautiful when they can watch the Discovery channel, right from their own couch? I believe the problem lies in the motivation, to be frank.

November 14, 2009, 12:01:23 AM
I wrote an essay comparing Romantic poetry to black metal lyrics. I may submit it to the site one day, but I need to edit it first.

December 11, 2009, 02:14:25 AM
I'm going to compare black metal lyric to Romantic poetry. I think I'm going to use something from In The Nightside Eclipse to compare, but I don't know what poem I should compare it to. Suggestions?

December 11, 2009, 02:48:02 AM
Quote from: I Am The Black Wizards
Mightiest am I, but I am not alone in this cosmos of mine
For the black hills consists of black souls, souls that already died one
thousand deaths
Behind the stone walls of centuries they breed their
black art
Boiling their spells in cauldrons of black gold
Far up in the mountains, where the rain fall not far, yet the sun cannot reach
The wizards, my servants, summon the souls of macrocosm
No age will escape my wrath
I travel through time and I return to the future
I gather wisdom now lost
I visit again the eternally ancient caves
before a mighty Emperor thereupon came Watching the mortals "discovering" my chronicles
guarded by the old demons, even unknown
to me
Once destroyed their souls are being summoned to my timeless prison of hate
It is delightful to feast upon the screaming souls
that was destroyed in my future
How many wizards that serve me with evil I know not
My empires has no limits
From the never ending
mountains black, to the bottomless lakes
I am the ruler and has been for eternity's long
My wizards are many, but their essence is
mine
Forever there are in the hills in their stone homes of
grief
Because I am the spirit of their existence
I am them.

vs

Quote from: Ozymandias
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

December 11, 2009, 06:57:09 AM
Also William Blake works such as "Sick Rose", "The Tiger", "Mad Song", "Marriage of Heaven and Hell" have that romantic-satanic spirit.

December 11, 2009, 06:44:23 PM
Also William Blake works such as "Sick Rose", "The Tiger", "Mad Song", "Marriage of Heaven and Hell" have that romantic-satanic spirit.
Don't forget the "Book of Urizen" and "Milton"!

December 11, 2009, 09:16:59 PM
Don't forget the "Book of Urizen" and "Milton"!

I didn't - the thing is that I haven't read them! But thanks to you, I assume that I should as soon as possible. Blake is a saint.

December 14, 2009, 02:20:02 AM
Thanks for the help. "Tyger" and "Mad Song" are perfect. However I need some citations and I have no idea where I'm going to find anything about black metal lyrics in a book.

December 14, 2009, 02:52:57 AM
Since when do lyrics need to come from a book? If you cite it properly (from its source) there shouldn't be an issue. Since your professor did say you could use such works, explicitly in the guidelines, you have a valid argument against anything your professor says.

Beethoven, Ludwig van. The 9 Symphonies. Perf. NBC Symphony Orchestra. Cond. Arturo Toscanini. RCA, 2003. CD.
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/09/

December 14, 2009, 03:10:53 AM
It is not to cite the source of the lyrics, but to find someone else's interpretation of black metal lyrics, or of at least one artist's.

December 14, 2009, 04:39:12 AM
Interviews? It shouldn't be too difficult to draw conclusions. In the Averse Sefira, and Bathory interviews, Romantic music is mentioned. Ildjarn may be a good reference.

December 14, 2009, 07:11:10 AM
If you for some obscure reason need to cite printed books, you could find something interesting in Christe's "Sound of the Beast", Moynihan's "Lords of Chaos", Warrior's "Are You Morbid?" etc.

December 17, 2009, 10:38:37 PM
I finished it. I'm not particularly proud; it's definitely not my best work. It's somewhat disorganized and unfocused, I just don't feel like rewriting it. To be honest, I wrote it in six hours today and everything I know about Romantic poetry I learned in lest two days. I was in no way qualified to write this. I'll upload it if someone wants though. It's not particularly bad, it just needs a little editing.