Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Readability on the internet

Readability on the internet
November 13, 2009, 08:23:23 AM
I'm finding that it's much easier to read lots of text in print than on a computer screen, so do many other people. But there's lots of stuff available online that you can't read in print.

This has helped me to read in the browser.
Arc90 - Readability
You configure it, then drag the bookmark link to bookmark toolbar, and clicking it transforms any article text into something more readable.

What do the rest of you do to read on the computer, besides not reading?

Re: Readability on the internet
November 13, 2009, 09:56:47 AM
Thanks for this, it seems like a pretty good way of reading long passages of text on the monitor.

In the past I've actually made print outs, but it's not ideal either to sit there like some newsreader shuffling bits of A4 about in front of you.

Maybe in the future we can install USB ports into the back of our heads and plug text directly into our brains.

November 13, 2009, 10:09:38 AM
Kafka is compelling content worth reading?  Good idea though.

November 13, 2009, 02:38:54 PM
Kafka is compelling content worth reading?

Of course. He is a gnostic like Blake & Goethe.

On topic: I use one of these http://www.irextechnologies.com/irexdr1000   It can display html, pdf, txt, jpg (scanned articles) etc. and has a much larger screen that Amazon and Sony readers. If there is a long web article I want to read, I usually save it or print it as a pdf and then transfer it to the Irex. Unfortunately the DR1000 is very expensive but if you read a lot of texts, or have little space left for books, it can be an investment. In any case it certainly cuts down on paper usage.

Aside from that, I sometimes use speech reader programs.

I find the font size on this forum to be too small. Does anyone else has this problem? To me it looks like it's size 6 - 8. I would prefer 10 - 12. Any thoughts?

ken

November 14, 2009, 08:52:33 AM
A much more efficient and effective way for me is to paste the text onto a new Word document. I make the font black, and the background a very dark grey. I can read for hours like this.

I like small fonts, as  the bulk of my reading consists of cursory glances and skimming, and when I do read I read very quickly. Eleison you should try fiddling with your browser settings to adjust the font size on this forum.

November 14, 2009, 09:57:08 AM
Aside from that, I sometimes use speech reader programs.

Can you recommend one please?

November 14, 2009, 10:23:37 AM
I find the font size on this forum to be too small. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? To me it looks like it's size 6 - 8. I would prefer 10 - 12. Any thoughts?

Ken already said it: Usually your web browser has some kind of "zoom" setting to biggify your text. Firefox: Ctrl + (plus)+  makes all web fonts larger.

The problem with text in browser is that lines don't get wrapped around the screen until they get long enough. Your eyes have to travel so far left and right that it would be unrealistic to read this way in a print book, magazine, or newspaper, and it becomes a chore and eyesore to skim.

Readability takes care of this for now, however. I like the ultra-wide margins and smaller fonts it makes out of most long articles.

Speech reader programs seemed neat at first, but the format's too linear for me to find any use of it.