Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Suffocation

Suffocation
March 24, 2006, 07:23:35 AM
ive herd good things about them but to me they sound the same as cannable corpse (who i dont like). so are they any good and worthy of the recongnition they have?

Re: Suffocation
March 24, 2006, 01:47:02 PM
so are they any good and worthy of the recongnition they have?

Yes. At least, their older albums are; the latest is not necessary.

Cannibal Corpse, like Cradle of Filth, took the most obvious "sound" of a type of music and put typical boring rock'n'roll stuff behind it. They are the archetypal commerical band. Death and Ulver are guilty as well.

Suffocation remain an excellent example of the style "percussive death metal," which descends from speed metal (Prong) and earlier death metal (Morpheus Descends).

March 24, 2006, 02:19:18 PM
It's hard to say who influenced who or even if the bands stumbled onto roughly similar styles simultaenously; Suffocation's Reincremation demo is very much in keeping with Human Waste and Effigy of the Forgotten and, as far as I know, predates Morpheus/Morpheus Descends' earliest output.

Wolfbane

March 24, 2006, 05:32:19 PM
Suffocation remain an excellent example of the style "percussive death metal," which descends from speed metal (Prong) and earlier death metal (Morpheus Descends).

Weren't Morpheus and Suffocation formed at the same time? I know you always make the claim that Morpheus influenced Suffocation which there is evidence both for and against it. For example, Morpheus and Suffocation both played at the Day of Death festival in 90 which could have introduced Morpheus' sound to Suffocation or the other way around and Terrance Hobbs is wearing a Morpheus shirt in the EoF promo photo. But Suffocation had their demo out first so its really up in the air which one influenced who. Prozak, expand on why you believe that Morpheus influenced Suffocation.

Wolfbane

March 24, 2006, 05:45:17 PM
oh and speaking of Morpheus Descends, the reissue of Ritual of Infinity is selling pretty well since its always out of stock everywhere I look except here http://www.razorbackrecords.com. Must mean people are finally recognizing Morpheus Descends as one of the pioneers of NYDM.

March 25, 2006, 07:27:31 AM
what i find very annoying is about two years ago a herd korn and and i was all WOW this is so hard, then watching TV a saw a slipknot video and i thought that is so fucking heavy. And i new a friend who was into that kind of music and he really got me into "heavy" music, off course then i found this site while trying to find some tabs. Then i went through the site and found you guys talking about bands i hade never herd of, so i downloaded some and im starting to know whats good. But my friend has only gotten into stuff thats been put on the radio or tv lots, or have lots of shirts of them. So right now hes listen to cannibal corpse thinking they are so great and wonderful and thinks he knows better groups then me, so very often im forced to listen to his music.

So then i downloaded Effigy Of The Forgotten by suffocation and i really didnt like it coz it sounded like cannibal corpse.

But is that song one of there better ones?

March 27, 2006, 04:51:31 PM
Suffocation sound nothing like Cannibal Corpse to me... and yes "Effigy" is one of the better ones, id say on par with "Pierced From Within".

As for Morpheus Descends, check out "Chronicles Of The Shadowed Ones", I personally think it's better than "Ritual..." and you'll probably find it more easy to digest than Suffocation.  Then give Effigy a few more listens, it will grow on you

March 28, 2006, 03:44:41 AM
If you think "Effigy of the Forgotten" sounds like a Cannibal Corpse record, you didn't listen to it.

March 28, 2006, 05:51:50 AM
well your right, i listend to about the 1st 30 seconds, but ive downloaded more of there songs and now i can see the difference between cannibal corpse and suffocation, and im startting to wake up to them, im not a huge fan (yet?) but im beggining to like them

March 28, 2006, 08:22:24 AM
30 seconds?  No wonder you couldn't get into it.

I had to listen to Effigy about 15 times before I really understood what was going on (it was the first "brutal" death metal record I got).  Don't force yourself though

Vader13

March 30, 2006, 09:05:05 PM
Check out Effigy of the Forgotten and Peirced fom within. The rest, to me is unecassary. Effigy is the best they have. It doesn't sound like Cannibal Corpse.

March 31, 2006, 06:46:22 AM
Check out Effigy of the Forgotten and Peirced fom within. The rest, to me is unecassary. Effigy is the best they have. It doesn't sound like Cannibal Corpse.

You can add HUMAN WASTE and Breeding The Spawn to that list

Vader13

March 31, 2006, 12:23:31 PM

You can add HUMAN WASTE and Breeding The Spawn to that list

I guess so, they didn't appeal to me much, just more of the same

March 31, 2006, 02:07:35 PM
Breeding the Spawn is easily Suffocation's best, IMO.  

Greatest riff complexity + lacking the choppiness of Pierced + focus of Effigy - speed metal influence = their best.