Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus (March 2010)

Re: [META] New Burzum album info
November 27, 2009, 10:30:10 PM
The oldest Greek God is Uranus, even though his cult didn't extend into Antiquity, as far as I remember.

Or are you distinguishing between Titans and Gods, or "Ancient Ones" and "Elder Gods"?

Re: New Burzum album info
November 27, 2009, 11:50:19 PM
In terms of the mythological chronology, Uranus was the ultimate forebearer of Zeus. In terms of actual veneration by people, however, the sky god figure has to be the oldest. Variants on the name appear too frequently and too early in the record for it to be anything else. Compare the similarities between "Zeus" and words like theos or the Latin "deus" or the Sanskrit "Dyaus-Pitar" and "deva" or the proto-Germanic "Tiwaz." The Latin "Jupiter" is itself a corruption of Iovus-Pater, which comes from the same source as Dyaus-Pitar (and ultimately all the other related words). There is a theory that has the original proto-Indo-European god being named something like Dy's-Ptr, which might or might not mean something like "sky father."  Of course, the proto-Indo-Europeans aren't exactly around to tell us, so we'll never know. Maybe this is some of that Lost Wisdom we hear so much about?

November 28, 2009, 12:43:13 AM
Dyeus is the Indo-European root for the word "Deus" and the names "Tiwaz", "Zeus", and "Dievas".  You might also be interested to know that "Uranus" was the sky, the sun of the the air and something else.

The Lost Wisdom is the knowledge of those who were destroyed by or assimilated into Christianity (or "Catholicism").

Re: [META] New Burzum album info
November 28, 2009, 08:25:16 PM
Any other thoughts/hopes/fears about it?

What I find most interesting is that album will be about/was inspired by Apollo.  Whereas the traditional "patron Gods" of metal have been Dionysus and/or Hades - I suppose you could mention Thor and Odin as well.  Broadly speaking, metal has been about death, darkness, war, storms.  Apollo does NOT represent these things.  Apollo is the god of order and light.  Perhaps this will be metal "post-nihilism."

I think this interpretation veers towards the sort of flattened, unenlightening essentialistism that has traditionally plagued "dualist" readings.  Yes, Apollo can be seen to represent order and reason, but is also the gods' archer and the bringer-of-plagues (as we see in Iliad).  Death does not exist outside of the boundaries of the Apollonian order, rather, it helps to define and circumscribe that order.  We shall of course see what we shall see, but I'm certainly looking forward to this one.

November 30, 2009, 12:20:00 AM
I always interpreted Apollo as moral wakefulness, and Dionysius as the animal side that does not try to consciously frame ideas, and acts out animal urges -- often reaching a better conclusion than well-intentioned rational logic.

Naming the album "The White God" was really provocative and kind of stupid. Any sensible government would ban this guy and send him to prison for years of amusing rape.

November 30, 2009, 12:34:43 AM
Dyeus is the Indo-European root for the word "Deus" and the names "Tiwaz", "Zeus", and "Dievas".  You might also be interested to know that "Uranus" was the sky, the sun of the the air and something else.

The Lost Wisdom is the knowledge of those who were destroyed by or assimilated into Christianity (or "Catholicism").

My only point regarding the descendants of Dyeus is that the prevalance of variants of the name seems to show that the idea is far more ingrained into the Indo-European subconscience than the proto-Uranus, who doesn't have as many direct linguistic corrollaries. As for Lost Wisdom, I wasn't making an entirely literal reference. After all, regardless of how said wisdom gets lost, it's still lost wisdom at the end of the day!

Off-topic, I also just noticed how easy it is for "wisdom" to sound like a nonsense word when it gets typed/spoken repeatedly.

I always interpreted Apollo as moral wakefulness, and Dionysius as the animal side that does not try to consciously frame ideas, and acts out animal urges -- often reaching a better conclusion than well-intentioned rational logic.

So in general, do you consider Burzum's older works to be more Apollonian or Dionysian (compared to, say, Immortal)? I can see it both ways, just curious to see what others think.

November 30, 2009, 12:42:05 AM
Off-topic, I also just noticed how easy it is for "wisdom" to sound like a nonsense word when it gets typed/spoken repeatedly.

You should watch Parkinson interviewing Mohammad Ali.  The number of times he says "wisdom" is impressive.

November 30, 2009, 07:23:21 AM
Naming the album "The White God" was really provocative and kind of stupid.

This reminded me of a discussion on another forum.

I find it actually a clever and market-aware move, besides the mythological scope, to use a title that has the capacity to remind of all the strife and conflict that used to surround Varg's media presence so far.

See what happened to Nachtmystium, Wolves in the Throne Room and co. who published pages of anti-fascist statements to be able to play gigs sponsored by auto companies and hipster magazines. Metalheads all over the world nowadays refuse to touch them with a ten foot pole.

But despite all the controversy, Burzum still sells to hipsters, classical music fans and to the most underground fanatics possible alike, maybe more than ever now with the black metal movie presence. Whether they all agree with him or not, there is a growing demand for unapologetic, unrepentant, reliable advocatus diaboli.

December 03, 2009, 12:20:33 AM
NEWS:

Varg submitted to the PC hippies and changed the album title to Belus. Check the "org" site.

December 03, 2009, 12:29:11 AM
Isn't belus an anagram for blues?

December 03, 2009, 02:24:01 AM
I find the name change disappointing.

December 03, 2009, 02:26:32 AM
Already sent an email to everyone who could possibly get the message to Mr. Vikernes, expressing potential disappointment of a large number of worthwhile people who are actually interested in him and his music, rather than being obsessed with personal/"cultural" ideas of "anti-racism" etc.

December 03, 2009, 02:55:15 AM
I would normally find this unfortunate, but I actually like the name change.  "The White God" sounds like a cocaine reference or something.  Plus, Burzum album titles are not to be in English.

December 03, 2009, 03:02:33 AM
Plus, Burzum album titles are not to be in English.
The original name wasn't in English. "The White God" is a translation.

December 03, 2009, 09:54:22 AM
It was going to be "Den Hvite Guden", which only sounds racist if you don't speak English.