Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus (March 2010)

Re: New Burzum album info
February 05, 2010, 02:50:57 AM
People keep commenting on these samples as if he wrote the songs last year.

True.  Vikernes did say pretty openly that much (most?) of this material consists of reworked reject tracks from earlier recording sessions, which is probably the only way we could have really expected him to put out a full-length album so quickly.  
He wrote and recorded the first four albums in 2 years. The only difference is that back then he had a musical plan and knew exactly what the ideas were going to be. We'll have to wait to see exactly how Belus sounds before just writing it off as Drudkh.

That's not actually true.  He'd been working on much of that material dating back to 88/89.  Hvis lyset tar oss was the only album that didn't have older material on it.

February 05, 2010, 04:04:36 AM
The dark ambience of "Dungeons of Darkness"?
Agreed for the most part about the rest. But "Dungeons of Darkness" is possibly the biggest pile of crap ever recorded.

February 05, 2010, 04:23:15 AM
I think there are some tracks which sound odd (number 5 I wasn't a fan of), but I think what people may be doing here is keeping in mind all of the terrible Burzum clones subconsciously when listening to this. I really don't think he's heard a lot of Xasthur or Leviathan or whatever, but one can really see how badly those bands have ripped him off.

Personally? I like most of the tracks (barring the intro and number 5) so far. I will be satisfied if the album is of B grade or better.

February 05, 2010, 05:47:06 AM
5 pages of comments over 30 second samples?

I guess it's a slow year.

February 05, 2010, 06:02:49 AM
5 pages of comments over 30 second samples?

I guess it's a slow year.

It's been a pretty slow 16 years, actually.

February 05, 2010, 06:21:16 AM
Seems to be a general sense of dissapointment 'round these parts. Perhaps our expectations for the new Burzum are too high? Give the man some credit, if after 6 albums he makes one album that isnt his best i wouldnt stress it. Im just glad he has retained a sense of melody even if it is derivative of his own work.

February 05, 2010, 04:45:35 PM
Perhaps our expectations for the new Burzum are too high?

Our expectations were set by his earlier works.

Same thing with Immolation.

People criticize ANUS for over-praising wins like BEHERIT "Engram" or ASPHYX "Death the Brutal Way" or even PROFANATICA "Profanatitas de Domonatia" but the flip side of that is that they over-sodomize fails, including OPETH and the new BURZUM.

I think if you wait another 7.2 months, you'll find that:

* The new IMMOLATION is regarded as a turd
* The new BURZUM is regarded as a turd
* BEHERIT "Engram" will be seen as the forefront of black metal's revitalization

Bet you honest money.

Interest sure dropped on this one after the samples were released. I think it was ghostwritten by the burzum.com guys, who have had several goofy NSBM bands in a similar style.

February 05, 2010, 04:56:10 PM
I like Engram, I really do, but it's not going to revitalize anything.  It's an album that, had it been released in 1995, would have been greeted as a solid and worthy effort on par with Panzerfaust or Battles in the North: good, but not great, and certainly not game changing.  Expectations color responses considerably.  I know that I'm deeply disappointed in what I've heard from Belus, but I can't honestly say that I find it significantly worse in an absolute sense than Engram or Profanatitas De Domonatia.  The real difference is that, while old Beherit and old Profanatica/Havohej were excellent bands, old Burzum was epoch defining.  From whom much has been given, more is expected.

February 05, 2010, 07:07:41 PM
I can't fathom people's "disappointment" with the samples.  The only rational statements I've read are "I don't like programmed drums" (which I didn't notice until one glaringly obvious cymbal, around track 5 or 6) and "vocals lack the same intensity".  Fair enough.  Programmed drums didn't make any of Ildjarn's material any less than what it was, and the vocals may, for all we know, fit perfectly with the ambiance of the album.

February 05, 2010, 08:16:34 PM
I know that I'm deeply disappointed in what I've heard from Belus, but I can't honestly say that I find it significantly worse in an absolute sense than Engram

I think it is. Engram had a simple enough goal, if derivative, and it accomplished it with little to no deviations. Belus sounds unsure of itself.

I can't fathom people's "disappointment" with the samples.  The only rational statements I've read are "I don't like programmed drums" (which I didn't notice until one glaringly obvious cymbal, around track 5 or 6) and "vocals lack the same intensity".  Fair enough.  Programmed drums didn't make any of Ildjarn's material any less than what it was, and the vocals may, for all we know, fit perfectly with the ambiance of the album.

I'd actually argue that those two statements are the least rational ones, especially the programmed drums one. Sound like silly aesthetic qualms that whiners like to bring up when their precious consumable good doesn't come with all the promised packaging. The real criticisms should be that the samples sound weak, directionless, and lazy.

I don't understand this samples argument. Thirty seconds times eight songs equals 240 seconds worth of material, and if virtually none of it is interesting, we can make educated, inductive inferences as to the quality of the album as a whole -- and even if we're wrong, that doesn't negate the legitimacy of our guesses.

And not that you're doing this, but as a general rule, most people who whine about people whining on the Internet are exaggerating the degree of disappointment to compensate for their lack of a compelling argument. Just something to keep in mind.

February 05, 2010, 08:29:54 PM
Engram also had, you know, songs.  But when samples initially became available, they were fairly unimpressive, and, in many ways, more "obvious" than what we've heard of Belus so far.  My suspicion is that this will be disappointing when heard in full as well, but it's more than a bit premature to be making grand declarative statements about this album without having heard even one actual song.

I also suspect that there are plenty of people out there who are going to wonder if the ANUS seal of disapproval is based entirely on dispassionate judgment or whether, perhaps, personal considerations (the .com/.org fiasco) are entering into the equation.

February 05, 2010, 09:35:32 PM
I'll sign on with all the people holding off judgment until hearing full tracks - I can't dismiss an album after a smattering of 30 second samples.

That being said, I heard nothing that caused me listen to any of the samples more than once.

February 05, 2010, 09:40:37 PM
The real criticisms should be that the samples sound weak, directionless, and lazy.

Please don't tell me you're being serious here.

What "direction" can music go in, in just 30 seconds?  Think about this very, very hard, especially within the context of other Burzum songs, many of which have the same (arguably boring) riff repeated for longer than thirty seconds.

By the way, are you much of a Death Metal listener?

I don't understand this samples argument. Thirty seconds times eight songs equals 240 seconds worth of material, and if virtually none of it is interesting, we can make educated, inductive inferences as to the quality of the album as a whole -- and even if we're wrong, that doesn't negate the legitimacy of our guesses.

I don't understand this samples argument.  Thirty seconds times eight songs equals 240 seconds worth of material spread across eight songs, so 240 seconds worth of material divided by eight equals thirty seconds per song, which is categorically not enough time for one to be making judgments about the entirety of even one song, unless that song is 30 seconds long.  Yes, the intro sounds shit.  Maybe it'll make more sense within the context of the album as a whole, or maybe it'll sound better with a higher bitrate.

Extrapolation is a terrible practice, during analysis.  Well, actually, during almost anything.  Extrapolation is potentially misleading for the sake of not having to put too much effort/time into finding the true results.

Do you expect God's Wisdom to be transmitted to you in eight disjointed segments, each of thirty seconds of length?  Unfortunately, trial and error and a significant amount of history have combined to teach us that "quick-and-easy" doesn't really work, in the long run.

And not that you're doing this, but as a general rule, most people who whine about people whining on the Internet are exaggerating the degree of disappointment to compensate for their lack of a compelling argument. Just something to keep in mind.

Generally, I don't get myself involved in whine-fests, since they're rather pointless.  This time, I feel that a significant amount of injustice is being done for no plausible or rational reason.

February 05, 2010, 10:17:00 PM
I'm with you on where you stand, Cargest. Thirty seconds of an AMBIENT BLACK METAL song leaves virtually no room for judgment, as the vast majority of the song length is yet to be heard. Simply saying "wow this is gay" for such a small portion of what the songs really are is just silly.

However, from what I've been hearing from others about this album, the criticism seems to hold at least a little truth. That's not etched in stone, nor does it reflect upon my own opinion of it (because I've never even heard it). From the rumors it sounds like Varg needs to kill someone else to go back to the place that helped him make such fantastic music as he has done in the past (lol).

February 05, 2010, 11:03:25 PM
Aye. This isn't grindcore. What Varg seeks to do needs more than 30 second samples to be appreciated.