Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus (March 2010)

Re: Burzum - Belus (March 2010)
February 23, 2010, 06:15:04 PM
I will concede that the release was timely, and not completely timeless, and yes, what I liked about it was that it had everything that metal lacks these days: spirit, vision, and something that should not be overlooked, a connecton to the primitive past of black metal without making it into some kind of joke like Darkthrone seems to be doing. 

On another note, it is nothing short of inspiring that they were able to sit down and simply create a brilliant piece of metal, or even to create decent metal at all after all those years, as we normally find bands to be unable to do, calling it a lack of shared vision over a long period of distance.  It is as if they said "Hey lets make an album", then went to work at what they were skilled at.  There is no flaw to the album that is unforgivable.  There is no pretense and no pandering.  There is nothing that they lacked and even nothing that they didn't do intentionally so it seems.

If you find this praise to be unrealistic, I understand.   I hardly believe it myself.

February 23, 2010, 10:53:22 PM
I respect anyone who doesn't like this album, but if it's the case you're full of shit.

February 24, 2010, 05:13:25 PM
I'm not trying to steer this topic off course, but the new Beherit was amazing?

Yes, it was.

It wisely did not try to aesthetically change black metal much, but focused on making songs again that were memorable in a concept album that led up to a concluding track. Reminds me of Kraftwerk in that way. It also hides its riffs under simplicity, but the force of personality behind them is palpable. It's great, and far more important than even ANUS acknowledges. Comparing it to early Pestilence is probably not far off.

February 24, 2010, 05:27:27 PM
I respect anyone who doesn't like this album, but if it's the case you're full of shit.

....what?

I think you just majorly contradicted yourself there.

February 24, 2010, 06:00:44 PM
I'm not trying to steer this topic off course, but the new Beherit was amazing?

Yes, it was.

It wisely did not try to aesthetically change black metal much, but focused on making songs again that were memorable in a concept album that led up to a concluding track. Reminds me of Kraftwerk in that way. It also hides its riffs under simplicity, but the force of personality behind them is palpable. It's great, and far more important than even ANUS acknowledges. Comparing it to early Pestilence is probably not far off.

Exactly!

When I first came to this site, we would talk about how to change metal to make it as powerful as it use to be.   Then this album came out and it made me realize that nothing was in need of updating.  In all honesty, I think the time for innovation is over and the time for quality has come.

February 25, 2010, 02:36:52 AM

....what?

wow!

you got it after or before breakfast? :)

Varg in March 2010 Terrorizer
February 25, 2010, 07:15:20 AM
Heads up! For good or for bad Varg is on the cover of the March 2010 Terrorizer.

It will be interesting to read what he has to say.

February 25, 2010, 09:33:26 AM

....what?

This post proves that Belus is great, end of story.

Re: Varg in March 2010 Terrorizer
February 25, 2010, 02:04:54 PM

February 25, 2010, 06:11:56 PM
I haven't even heard it yet. Did I just get trolled?

Whenever I get my laptop back from the repair shop, I'll download Belus and see for myself.

Re: Varg in March 2010 Terrorizer
February 25, 2010, 06:43:18 PM
Here's an interview he's just recently done with Metal-Rules.

And a rather interesting news item:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Proceeds from Burzum album “Belus” to benefit Haitian earthquake victims

LONDON, UK – Byelobog Productions announced that proceeds of the forthcoming Burzum album “Belus” will benefit victims of the earthquake in Haiti. The album, heralding the return of black metal legend Varg Vikernes after 11 years of inactivity, explores themes of Apollonian moral purity.

“Black metal is not a label I use for my music any longer,” said Vikernes. “It was the dark, the Dionysiac, and that is a force no man can control. Instead, I pursue the pure and honorable, which includes racial purity for Norwegians, and helping those who suffer misfortunes in life.” Vikernes added that the album will be released March 8 worldwide, including in quake-stricken Haiti.

Industry observers have praised “Belus” for its imaginative melodies and use of atmosphere, calling it “the most mature black metal album ever created.” It will be distributed worldwide by Plastic Head (UK).

ABOUT BYELOBOG

Byelobog Productions releases culturally-strengthening black metal from Norway. It was formed in AD 2010 to release “Belus,” the comeback album of Nordic metal legend Burzum.

CONTACT
Byelobog Productions
Attn: Steve Horvath
Avtech House, Hithercroft Road
Wallingford
Oxfordshire
OX10 9DA
England
+44 (0)1491 825029

http://byelobog.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/burzum-belus-proceeds-to-haiti-earthquake-victims/

February 25, 2010, 10:37:47 PM
With an international fan base, I'm sure there will be a few fans may be just a little unhappy that the album’s lyrics are entirely in Norwegian. Is there a reason why you didn't use any English on the album?

Yes, there is a reason; American imperialism. The Romans demanded that everybody talked Latin, and the morally bankrupt USA tries and wants to be the new Roman Empire, and their Latin is American (“English”). I know I have an international fan base, and that's why you can find a French, a Russian, an Italian and possibly other translations of the lyrics as well on the burzum.com website.

Should I still take this man serious? He sounds like one of those people who don't brush their teeth because "fluoride is mind control dude!"

February 26, 2010, 02:04:26 AM
With an international fan base, I'm sure there will be a few fans may be just a little unhappy that the album’s lyrics are entirely in Norwegian. Is there a reason why you didn't use any English on the album?

Yes, there is a reason; American imperialism. The Romans demanded that everybody talked Latin, and the morally bankrupt USA tries and wants to be the new Roman Empire, and their Latin is American (“English”). I know I have an international fan base, and that's why you can find a French, a Russian, an Italian and possibly other translations of the lyrics as well on the burzum.com website.

Should I still take this man serious? He sounds like one of those people who don't brush their teeth because "fluoride is mind control dude!"

It's simply a form of symbolic protest - like burning the churches. To him, rejecting English represents a rejection globalization, he didn't say anything about mind control.

February 26, 2010, 04:01:07 AM

I don't see anything wrong with the linguistic decision. In fact, it seems much more wrong to me that Westernization is now so universal that the interviewer felt a need to ask about the lack of English, as if a Norwegian's lyrics being in Norwegian should be an abnormality.

That being said, Varg's response is a bit laughable. Reeks of ego masturbation. Whereas he could have just been honest and said, "the reason is that I'm not English," instead of coming off like a pinko flag-burning anarcho-syndicalist squatter. Regardless of how obviously leading the interviewer's question was.

February 26, 2010, 06:39:18 AM
So in what way does the United States NOT act like an imperial power?