Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Best metal 1999-2009

Re: Best metal 1999-2009
November 30, 2009, 03:52:21 PM
I didn't like Velvet Cacoon much until I heard the album I listed here, it's a pretty interesting listen. It kind of sounds like the droney black metal equivalent of a DXM trip. Their other black metal material, namely Genevieve, isn't awful either; it's kind of like a combination of Burzum - Filosofem, Ildjarn - Forest Poetry, and My Bloody Valentine - Loveless though it lacks in execution.

December 01, 2009, 01:32:55 AM
I cannot endorse an artist who freely steals from other artists. To boot, the members of Velvet Cacoon are drugged out idiots.

December 02, 2009, 03:04:36 PM
I cannot endorse an artist who freely steals from other artists. To boot, the members of Velvet Cacoon are drugged out idiots.

All other stuff aside, because it's [META], I didn't find the Velvet Cacoon music to be all that stimulating. In fact, like Drudkh or Negative Plane, it strikes me as gentle, inoffensive, but like indie rock in spirit -- they haven't figured out metal riffing yet. Or maybe Satyricon would be a better comparison. They're big fish in a small and drying pond.

December 02, 2009, 05:16:33 PM
I wouldn't put either of those bands down to Velvet Cacoon's level, but I see what you're saying. I'd also add Krallice and Twilight to that list.

December 02, 2009, 06:47:02 PM
I wouldn't put either of those bands down to Velvet Cacoon's level, but I see what you're saying. I'd also add Krallice and Twilight to that list.

Twilight the book?

Yes, I agree that Velvet Cacoon is below Drudkh and Negative Plane, but all three are still pointless -- they don't "get it," somehow.

Agreed on Krallice. A whole lot of going nowhere.

December 04, 2009, 01:00:40 PM
No, Twilight is a "supergroup" black metal band made up of Wrest from Leviathan, Malefic from Xasthur, Imperial from Kreig, and a few others who I can't remember right now. They're on Southern Lord. Its just painfully boring stuff.

December 06, 2009, 12:44:53 PM
AVZHIA- The Key Of Throne
SUMMONING- Oath Bound
ABSU- Tara
KRIEG- Destruction Ritual
THE STONE- Magla
SKEPTICISM- Alloy

January 04, 2010, 10:44:15 PM
Krallice are great, fairly obvious they're hated around here for being popular.

Or perhaps people here just legitimately don't like them. Plenty of people have tried the "you don't agree with me, so you must be biased" argument. It's a biased argument in itself, and it doesn't work. You should probably give it up.

January 06, 2010, 01:39:16 AM
I'm surprised there is so much love for Summoning's "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame."

Though the first four tracks are excellent and the final song is merely OK, the 20 minutes that makeup the middle of the album are incredibly boring and tedious.

"Oath Bound" is much more consistent from start to finish, and with "Land of the Dead," climaxes at one of the band's best overall songs.

Anyway, the rest of my "desert island" picks would be:

Gorguts - Obscura
Mütiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Antaeus - Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan
Destruction - The Antichrist
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil
At War With Self - Torn Between Dimensions
Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata
Crimson Massacre - The Luster of Pandemonium
Sorcier des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness
Profanatica - Profanatitas De Domonatia
Master - Slaves to Society
Skepticism - Alloy
Portal - Swarth
Beherit - Engram

I published an article that went into greater detail on the topic, but those are the albums in my collection that have stuck the most over the last couple of years.

January 06, 2010, 02:51:11 PM

THE STONE- Magla

I first heard about this on www.deathmetal.org.  It took me about 2 or 3 listens to "settle in" with it, but I think this is a solid, admirable album.  Worth a listen, at least.

January 08, 2010, 01:29:10 PM

What were the best metal releases from 1999-2009, or "in the last decade"?

Antaeus - Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan
(Arkona (Pol) - Raw Years 1993-1995)
Arkona (Rus) - От Сердца к Небу
Beastcraft - Baptised in Blood and Goatsemen
Beherit - Engram
Dahak - Arkana wężowej mądrości
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Nocturnal March
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult  - Hora Nocturna
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult  - Saldorian Spell
Infernal Nature/Mucous Scrotum - Calls from the underground
Leichengott - Cyrograf
Profanatica - Profanatitas de Domonatia

January 08, 2010, 10:33:28 PM
Texas bands of note:

* Decrepitaph
* War Master
* Blaspherian
* Morbus 666
* Bahimiron
* Imprecation

I'm thinking good things will come from these in the future -- some already have produced quite a few good things.

January 14, 2012, 06:18:16 PM
1999- Monstrosity, In Dark Purity.

Clear Vision, very powerful....

January 14, 2012, 09:52:29 PM
Regarding The Chasm, I think that "Procession to the Infraworld" (1999) is that bands only truly excellent work. By comparison, all subsequent works are somewhat repetitive and burdened by the 80s thrash and NWOBHM nostalgia. "Procession to the Infraworld", on the other-hand, is a masterpiece and certainly one of the best albums from between 1999-2009.

I aso think that Absu - Tara is an absolute must. That album is like the sum of all thrash knowledge: seamless integration of that style into an epic, narrative format.

Out of all the bands/albums that have been mentioned, those are the only two that I would absolutely insist on, especially if this list is like a top ten or something, instead of just a catalogue of albums that were generally good/tolerable/interesting.

January 21, 2012, 01:25:47 PM
Foeticide - Collection of Aborted Fetuses

My suggestion gets lost in the melee... but its there for posterity dammit!