Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

MORBID ANGEL Sign to Season of Mist

MORBID ANGEL Sign to Season of Mist
November 22, 2009, 07:40:44 AM
The whole Season of Mist staff is immensely proud to finally confirm the rumour and announce that the label has inked a worldwide deal (outside of Japan) with cult death metal band MORBID ANGEL!

Formed in 1984, MORBID ANGEL are one of the pioneering bands of death metal as well as the current masters of extreme music and to date easily the best selling artist in the genre. The band has had a glorious 20 plus year history and significant commercial success, selling well over a million and a half albums on their eight albums to date.

"I am truly looking forward to our new relationship with Season of Mist", frontman David Vincent comments. "Michael Berberian has a lot of artistic vision and is a real music fan. This has been a long process to get to this point and in my opinion, it was worth the wait!"

"I'm really stoked to be working now with SOM!!!!", adds founding member Trey Azagthoth. "The French have always shown me they much more value art over Fabricated Flatlined Hype, and it's this artistic minded value that will open so many new doors for extreme music as a whole. Mind Makes Meaning, why not own the process?"

Season of Mist will release the Floridians' ninth album in 2010.

Link to SoM's Shitty Website

Re: MORBID ANGEL Sign to Season of Mist
November 24, 2009, 03:38:56 AM
...the link name...lol...

November 24, 2009, 02:38:38 PM
...the link name...lol...

Having clicked it, I think it's accurate.

What... was that?

X

November 24, 2009, 03:29:08 PM

November 24, 2009, 03:55:56 PM
It feels like an early 2000's angelfire site.

November 24, 2009, 03:57:46 PM
Good news to all involved. Let's hope something interesting comes from this new chapter in the band's history.

(Is it a trifle peculiar to posters on this forum that some of us may be more interested in Morbid Angel getting a record deal, and thus continuing their musical career, than the layout of a fucking website? Jesus wept.... )

November 24, 2009, 07:37:55 PM
(Is it a trifle peculiar to posters on this forum that some of us may be more interested in Morbid Angel getting a record deal, and thus continuing their musical career, than the layout of a fucking website? Jesus wept.... )

Yeah but did you see the website?  It looks like a fucking pinball machine or something. 

Anyway I noticed that David Vincentís other band is also signed to the label, so maybe that explains why they landed there. 

November 25, 2009, 02:39:57 AM
If that Nevermore song is any indication on how the rest of the album will sound, it's gonna be another disappointment. I wish I'm wrong, but that's what I'm sensing.

November 25, 2009, 02:50:18 AM
I just don't  think Morbid Angel is capable of making relevant metal at this point in their careers.

Sure, I'd still go see them live to hear the old songs, but like Suffocation, Slayer, et al., their days of making relevant albums seem done.

Years of abusing drugs, sodomy, online deathmatch, etc. eventually take their toll.

November 25, 2009, 04:23:31 AM
I just don't  think Morbid Angel is capable of making relevant metal at this point in their careers.

Sure, I'd still go see them live to hear the old songs, but like Suffocation, Slayer, et al., their days of making relevant albums seem done.

Years of abusing drugs, sodomy, online deathmatch, etc. eventually take their toll.

Agreed 100%. Unless Vincent has a magical return-to-form vocally and loses the distressingly Pantera-esque style he has adopted during his comeback, it could be downrigt ugly in that respect. I am cautiously hopeful as usual...but notholding my breath either.     

November 25, 2009, 07:51:40 AM
Agreed.  I'm expecting honest attempts to innovate, a distinct sound that tends to distract from the ideas, and a context (the track listing)
that renders all of the above incoherent as a larger, more powerful statement.  Basically another Heretic.

November 25, 2009, 06:29:45 PM

While everything you say is true, there's a possibility they'll pull it off.

The problem is really intent: when the goal is to gratify a captured audience, one doesn't rock the boat.

If you have 1,000,000 people who will pay $15 to hear Pantera with jazzy solos, and 100,000 who will pay $15 to hear ripping, emotionally-challenging, awkward-mortality-moment-inducing death metal, and you've already made 5 albums for the million fools, why not keep making albums for fools?

If you don't, your label will drop you and you will possibly have legal battles and trouble keeping your band together as band members flake out for the easy $68,000/year jobs managing Walgreenses.