Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Lord Worm on mediocre bands

Lord Worm on mediocre bands
March 25, 2006, 09:21:10 PM
http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/articles/chats/1-910_cryptopsy.aspx
I believe that if you have nothing left to say, then shut up. Don't make yourself try to sound younger or fresher or whatever. You did it. Kudos. Now shut up. That goes for the younger kids as well. There's no point in adding your voice to the celestial chorus if you've got nothing to say. I'm thinking from a fan's point of view: how much garbage do you have to wade through before you find a diamond? The Internet helps, but then there are those who will say that it's just piracy. So what can you do? Buy everything that comes out? I tend to have a lot of people that can help point me in the right direction, and they're never wrong; but for those who don't, what are they supposed to do? Bottom line is that if you're going to just be content to count yourself with the numbers and not do anything significant, then shut up. This is not meant to denigrate the efforts of anyone, but doing something just for the sake of doing it doesn't make it special. It's pollution; it's garbage.

Ironically, this quote comes shortly after he talks about how music is first and foremost a business and that he's just in Cryptopsy because he's friends with the guys in it.

Re: Lord Worm on mediocre bands
March 25, 2006, 10:46:05 PM
He brings up a good point, unfortunately for him the new Cryptopsy is a pretty shit attempt at crossing over to mainstream audiences.

March 25, 2006, 10:53:50 PM

Perhaps he should take his own advice.

March 26, 2006, 01:40:12 PM
It was bothing me for a while that I knew Lord Worm reminded me of somebody.  Took a while to realize it was Ron Jeremy.

Good point he is making though.  As for Cryptopsy's MTV video, the "song" totally sucks and is also cheesey in every way.  However, it is possible that they only sold out on one track, since it's not even a song really.  I haven't listened to the album very much.  Perhaps a review of the rest of Cryptopsy's catalogue is in order?

I can tell you that the entire album sound like shit.

March 26, 2006, 11:03:58 PM
It was bothing me for a while that I knew Lord Worm reminded me of somebody.  Took a while to realize it was Ron Jeremy.

Good point he is making though.  As for Cryptopsy's MTV video, the "song" totally sucks and is also cheesey in every way.  However, it is possible that they only sold out on one track, since it's not even a song really.  I haven't listened to the album very much.  Perhaps a review of the rest of Cryptopsy's catalogue is in order?

“Once Was Not” would be much more effective if the production wasn't so clinical and drum-heavy; the last three Cryptopsy albums have a dense, punishing, and almost over-saturated production style that keeps the guitars and drums on fairly equal footing, but this critical attribute of the band’s sound is all but lost on “Once Was Not” thanks to all the boring/lifeless instrument tones and poor mixing decisions.

The guitar work does provide some moments of intrigue, but Alex Auburn seemingly tries too hard to incorporate a variety of techniques/styles instead of making sure that the riffs themselves are satisfying and reasonably coherent within the context of a song.

Most people will probably agree that Flo Mounier’s percussive performance is incredible (as usual) and that Lord Worm is so far off from his past--and arguably brilliant--form that the band might have been better off recruiting a new vocalist or letting Alex Auburn and Flo Mounier fulfill the lead vocal spot until Lord Worm was physically capable of at least coming close to his past vocal prominence.  

Make no mistake, "Once Was Not" is the worst Cryptopsy album to date, and I say that as a fan that can tolerate Mike DiSalvo’s embarrassing, hardcore machismo and enjoys all their other albums to a great degree.

March 27, 2006, 04:55:24 PM
Crytopsy should have "shut up" after NSV.  Everything afterwards sounds like a music lesson to me, like "improve your metal guitar/drum technique" (yet most modern "death metal" bands seem to make a living out of this)

TC

March 27, 2006, 05:00:16 PM
headline should read, "Pot on color of kettle...."

Wolfbane

March 27, 2006, 07:49:27 PM
headline should read, "Pot on color of kettle...."

Ouch ;)

This reminds of an interview with The black dahlia murder wanting back the good old days of metal. :D

March 30, 2006, 04:26:46 AM
Yeah. so anyone wants free Cryptopsy cd? i got their "once was not". audibly incomparable to their older album NSV.  :-X

March 30, 2006, 03:07:40 PM
I think Cryptopsy's of a higher QUALITY than most bands out there today; the problem is that their artistic aims and methods are terrible. Half of their stuff sounds like heavy metal detuned and played quickly on this order:

For every one beat normally present, play:

1 beat - 2 offbeats
        |- 1 offbeat/1 open/1 counter-offbeat(onbeat)

It sounds like a knitting machine.

March 30, 2006, 04:11:59 PM
I think Cryptopsy's of a higher QUALITY than most bands out there today; the problem is that their artistic aims and methods are terrible. Half of their stuff sounds like heavy metal detuned and played quickly on this order:

For every one beat normally present, play:

1 beat - 2 offbeats
         |- 1 offbeat/1 open/1 counter-offbeat(onbeat)

It sounds like a knitting machine.

If their aims suck, then they can't possibly be quality, even if they hit their stupid aim perfectly.  IMO, of course.

March 30, 2006, 05:08:39 PM
This band is like Pink Frothy AIDS:  All technique, no content.

March 30, 2006, 06:59:01 PM
This band is like Pink Frothy AIDS:  All technique, no content.

Bingo

The last 10 years anyway.

October 09, 2012, 04:19:49 AM
All technique, no content.

That's how commerce subverts culture. It's part of a larger phenomenon which includes far more than just TexMex dining and bad metal.

October 09, 2012, 02:54:19 PM
I wonder why so many good artists these days run out of things to say after a few albums.  It is not like Wagner or Beethoven only had productive careers for five years in their mid-20s.  Many great artists continue evolve and have important things to say well into old age.