Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Immature music

Re: Immature music
November 30, 2009, 10:28:50 PM
but their first few albums are their more cerebral and their best ones.
Really? Kraftwerk didn't really get their stride going until Ralf und Florian (though I love the krautrock albums). They hit their peak in 77'-78', almost ten years into their career.

December 01, 2009, 12:57:16 AM
Opinions will differ, but I think Kraftwerk 2 and Autobahn are the best. When they started the flirtations with disco pop-melody on Trans-Europe Express (which I like) the potential for more cerebral music went out the window. Still, they pretty much invented disco which is no small accomplishment. I don't think they were ever quite Krautrock in the Faust and Neu! tradition.

December 01, 2009, 01:12:17 AM
Well, Dead Can Dance was no hit with the ska fans. Apparently its boring and "stupid" LOL. Perhaps ska is all they can listen to. Along with some screamo and pop. I have been wondering about this question though. What makes ska immature? What prime factors make this genre shit besides the obvious factors such as corny lyrics and stupid uppity beats.

December 01, 2009, 04:09:30 AM
Opinions will differ, but I think Kraftwerk 2 and Autobahn are the best. When they started the flirtations with disco pop-melody on Trans-Europe Express (which I like) the potential for more cerebral music went out the window. Still, they pretty much invented disco which is no small accomplishment. I don't think they were ever quite Krautrock in the Faust and Neu! tradition.
This reminds me, I need to re-listen to Kraftwerk 2. I remember really liking it, but once I got into Trans Europe Express and The Man Machine, I forgot all about Tone Float, and Kraftwerk I & II.

December 05, 2009, 10:39:46 PM
What makes ska immature? What prime factors make this genre shit besides the obvious factors such as corny lyrics and stupid uppity beats.
From the few ska songs I've heard, they are entirely about happiness. Their intent is escapism(i.e. there is no bad in the world so lets be happy!). The only other music genre like this is Christmas music. People like this music and listen to it far beyond the Christmas season because it is happy music to escape the not-so-happy reality.

December 06, 2009, 06:16:35 PM
Well, Dead Can Dance was no hit with the ska fans. Apparently its boring and "stupid" LOL. Perhaps ska is all they can listen to. Along with some screamo and pop. I have been wondering about this question though. What makes ska immature? What prime factors make this genre shit besides the obvious factors such as corny lyrics and stupid uppity beats.

Wait a second. You started this thread saying ska is immature, now you ask us why that is. Why do you think it is immature? Just a feeling?

December 06, 2009, 11:16:05 PM
I can really only see the obvious things when it comes to seeing what makes ska immature. I started this thread in hopes to get your views on the whole thing and what you guys think makes it immature. Perhaps im searching for things that aren't really there.

December 09, 2009, 07:48:10 PM
There is one specific genre that I wanted to ask about. What is anus' opinion on.....wait for it....thats right....ska. The corny jumpy music teenagers listen to and love purely because their fans provide a friendly setting (this is at least what I have seen from where I live). That being said, what are the ins and outs of this genre?

Good topic. Please do not consider it a personal attack when I say you are confusing instance and essence. You named an instance; the essence is music that panders to the need of low self-esteem people to find external meaning. In order for that to be accepted by a crowd, it must be the lowest common denominator, but hide that fact with cleverness. This is the essence of both mainstream music, which is whorelike, and hipster music, which is self-aware of its whoreness and so hides it behind "anti-" sentiments like anti-religion, anti-govenrment, anti-majority, etc. Black metal was initially confused with this type of music, and then gradually got swallowed by it.

December 09, 2009, 10:47:55 PM
I take no offense to what is said here, I use this site to learn, so if Im wrong its just a chance for me to learn whats right. (In most cases anyway)

December 18, 2009, 11:10:43 AM
I know of ska music. I really do not like it, how ever in a town such as mine, ska music really hit everyone around me. Naturally i heard it nearly everyday, to my displeasure. However, the people in which this "music" seems to target are those whom we raised to be some what spoiled (not necessarily rich) but like an only child who got whatever they want. These people in late high school years realize that their parents cannot support them in the pro 18 years so they seem to attach themselves to everything happy sappy to ignore this fact. Ska seems to also be a more "dangerous" form of music to the pop lovers. Its like the underground rap for popular white people. So these kids wear checkered clothing with somewhat tight pants with their bangs to show a form of "rebellion"  while reaming in a happy coma. Compare/contrast if you want. 

December 18, 2009, 09:56:24 PM
You said it, simple music for simple people - not just in reference to metal, but also classical. People take punk seriously because it's relatively easy to decipher.

December 23, 2009, 05:10:27 PM
The corny jumpy music teenagers listen to and love purely because their fans provide a friendly setting (this is at least what I have seen from where I live).

Is art an end, or a means?

If it's an end, we then must use things like social friendly settings as a means toward art.

If it's a means, then it must be used toward some other end, like friendly social settings.

But if it's more complex:

(a) Not everyone can appreciate or cares to appreciate art.
(b) Art may be a means to a mental realization or series thereof, and as such is not an end in itself, but the end must still not be perverted.

December 30, 2009, 06:15:03 PM
The corny jumpy music teenagers listen to and love purely because their fans provide a friendly setting

I believe you have answered your own question. It's not about ANUS's curriculum for intellect, music is based off of your own observations. You call it corny, and I agree, because it IS corny.

March 17, 2011, 01:56:49 AM

I used to listen to some ska, especially Streetlight Manifesto. I still might throw an album on once ever several months, because I think they're the best of ska, but they're the only ones I can stand at all, so there's that.

Lyrics are not your typical corny ska lyrics either:
http://www.sing365.com/music/Lyric.nsf/Would-You-Be-Impressed-lyrics-Streetlight-Manifesto/C8992863CBFE1C084825736E000B32F4 

http://www.sing365.com/music/Lyric.nsf/Here-s-To-Life-lyrics-Streetlight-Manifesto/3FCD85BD668194ED48256E00000636ED

March 31, 2011, 04:38:39 AM
Ska-punkwas never any good. The ska/reggae from the 60s and 70s is a lot better. It's pretty much raw soul-music that turns away from modern society (babylon). It's still more pop than metal though. Two basic recommendations would be:

The Congos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhTM0Lar3Q

"Fisherman" is perfection to me.