Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Communal Projects/ideas

Communal Projects/ideas
November 30, 2009, 05:07:29 AM
What are some worthwhile communcal projects a person can partake of in a society verging on its own destruction?Teaching and creating are of course worthwhile, what are some everyday things a person can do to effect positive change?

I have been trying to enact positive spiritual change in my own life, via Hinduism in the hopes that my example can have a positive affect on others,and inspire them. to undertand themselves, their mind and reality. This of course takes alot of time, and i am trying to compile a list of everyday things i can do to help steer my community in a "sane" direction.

Re: Communal Projects/ideas
November 30, 2009, 07:05:16 AM

Perhaps it depends on your desires. Trying to connect with people in a real meaningful manner is really important to me. I don't know what you can do, but I like to give small random gifts to people around me: coffee, tangerines, tea bags, anything really. It clangs on their "headpiece filled with straw" so to say. Some people can't understand that you don't want anything and so sidestep awkwardly, while others will smile and make small talk, and some will unload the stress of the day on you, while others will snap awake and find their manners, while others may make real conversation.

Are you going in a sane direction? If so, then are your family members going in a sane direction? If so, then how about your friends? The people at work, school?

November 30, 2009, 02:35:39 PM
Are you going in a sane direction? If so, then are your family members going in a sane direction? If so, then how about your friends? The people at work, school?

This.  Work from the inside out, explaining to each and every person along the way why they are so categorically wrong.  Depending on how you do it, you'll fix a lot of people's lives, or drive large numbers to suicide.  Either way, the world benefits.

November 30, 2009, 04:02:51 PM
Despite being an "Aspie" loner, I somehow find a strange power in genuine* relationships and genuine* communication. Smart youth are especially open to this...

The other week, a high school junior (my younger brother's friend) surprised me when he told me that I made him really like learning more than most of his school teachers. He also told me only one so far had challenged him, saying that most classes were memorization while this class was different: reading bits of challenging source material and then meditating on those bits for awhile.

Aside from the fact that we often mystify the unknown (in this case, youth mystify those rare adults who don't seem like professional bull shitters), I think one reason he enjoys asking me questions is because instead of giving him The Answers (TM), I told stories, pointed to intelligent writers, spoke of possibilities, actually listen and let him speak (even if sometimes only to prod his assumptions), or even an, "I don't know."

In any case, I guess these types of relationships are a small and simple, yet important, part of making positive change to your surroundings. You validate the youth's quiet, forbidden suspicion that this society is losing its ability to distinguish reality from illusion, and keep them from becoming completely bitter.

*Genuine, as in, not mere small talk, instructions, orders, insults, reciting pop culture, etc.

December 01, 2009, 04:36:15 AM

This.  Work from the inside out, explaining to each and every person along the way why they are so categorically wrong.  Depending on how you do it, you'll fix a lot of people's lives, or drive large numbers to suicide.  Either way, the world benefits.

Maybe. But swinging around one's personal views is only slightly less attractive than that of a dead cat. After all, you'd wanna ask the cat swinger "why", but for the former that question has be nauseatingly settled. I think Jesus had it right when he said "let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds".

December 01, 2009, 05:42:16 PM
Id argue that society isn't on the verge of destruction , but that's another discussion.

At the moment people in  my community are trying to turn an old factory into a community center; a project with which I'm hoping to become involved. I hope to contribute to this community in some way by perhaps organizing a space where people can exchange ideas and generally pursue things that are healthy.

I also think that we have evolved beyond Christianity in many ways and would like to see most churches in the city i live in be converted into active and open multi-cultural community centers.

December 03, 2009, 06:45:39 PM
What are some worthwhile communal projects a person can partake of in a society verging on its own destruction?

I think the task is twofold:

I. Greater jihad

Organize your own mind, gain self-discipline, and through those, find a place in life, a family, a career, a goal.

II. Lesser Jihad

Reforming the world:

- Tree planting
- Recycling drive
- Graduate school
- Yoga classes
- Put on shows
- Make a zine
- Write for established news source
- Renovate old buildings
- Start a business
- Volunteer at church
- Teach classes
- Work with a non-profic
- Volunteer at animal clinic (CAP, Wildlife Restoration)
- Join ELF
- Volunteer at local library
- Volunteer at local museum
- Go to open mike night

Spread your ideas, which if you're not a fool will represent reality and thus much of what we say here, everywhere. Calmly, kindly, but firmly do not tolerate lies and evasions.

Do not do what most people do: create your own separatist blog or domain that will attract fifty people. Join something in progress, learn the ropes, and bend it toward your needs

December 03, 2009, 07:49:01 PM
I would like to point out: the ELF isn't an organization you can join.

There are plenty of very informed and effective ENGOs out there. Choose those that focus on biodiversity issues such as:

Greenpeace
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/
Some reactionaries think Greenpeace isnt cool because of their media stunts; but look at their history and you will see that their methods are effective.

Rainforest Action Network
http://ran.org/
Runs excellent! consumer boycott campaigns against multi national logging giants such as Weyerhauser and AbitibiBowater

The Wildlands Project (If you live in the US)
http://www.twp.org/cms/index.cfm?group_id=1000
Very sensible idea

Oxfam
http://www.oxfam.ca/
Biodiversity is declining the most in tropical regions such as South America and Central Africa. Studies have shown that habitat loss is the prime cause of species extinction and that most land is claered for agriculture, specifically industrial. Oxfam runs some very effective local based agricultural projects that have the added benefit of stabilizing populations and preventing rural communities from migrating to developing cities which are environmental disasters.

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
http://www.seashepherd.org/
Actively enforces international fishery treaties governments have signed.

December 09, 2009, 07:49:55 PM
Not to be a cynical voice here, but don't steer people into surrogate activities.

Most of what has been mentioned here is typical liberal fodder: a token stab at the problem, no workable solution, but we all feel better about ourselves.

Join cultural activities and local community centers, strengthen your community, its culture, and make sure the good people get noticed.

The last thing you want to do is tilt at windfills by joining some circle jerk like Greenpeace.

December 11, 2009, 03:25:14 AM
Americans tend to shy away from social activities with strangers. The best thing you can do is show people that there are non-morons out there willing to talk about something meaningful. In my experience, strangers are more open to talking about taboo subjects and therefore leads to meaningful conversations. Most people form little groups of friends where they just make each other feel better about their shortcomings. I try to avoid a single group of friends and rotate between different groups, remaining detached enough to still allow stimulating conversation. They may not admit it, but I know for a fact that most people that I have known have changed for the better from knowing me. You can do this too, and this is probably the best way to improve society in general. You may in fact give them the most profound conversation they've ever had.

December 11, 2009, 07:15:14 PM
Yeah oddly enough I am writing a newsletter for my local coffee shop. I love coffee and its history, so it makes sense for me to do this. We also have an open mic night here and I have been practicing my material. Now I have to ease into the metal material but I will unleash it unto the crowds!

I plan to start an italian group that is dedicated to studying the culture of Italy its history, language, music, and much more. The hardest thing is pulling the ignorant people away from the stereotypes of italian americans, and teaching them the right way. They cannot argue with me at all since I am totally knowledge about my culture...