Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

[META] Communal Projects/ideas

December 01, 2009, 08:59:53 PM
multi-cultural

Why make the distinction in the first place?

December 01, 2009, 11:25:11 PM
Your saying I shouldn't use adjectives?

I think cultures need to start entering into dialogue in a way that isn't happening at present. That's a good argument for multi culturalism (in some counrties!). If you ossify the pan nationalist ideas floating around the anus network too strongly, you run the risk of having culture stagnate on many levels, as happened to the very isolated Maya when they were conquered by the, for the time, fairly international Europeans.

December 02, 2009, 12:48:11 AM
The problem is that modern "multiculturalism" is, in reality, an attempt to go towards "monoculturism", therefore almost anyone with an eye for such things will be wary of anyone else talking about "multicultural" (or "multi-cultural") anything.

December 02, 2009, 01:37:21 AM
The problem is that modern "multiculturalism" is, in reality, an attempt to go towards "monoculturism", therefore almost anyone with an eye for such things will be wary of anyone else talking about "multicultural" (or "multi-cultural") anything.

I agree with you that multiculturalism is just a fancy word for a monocultural (capitalist) something. I also salute efforts to preserve global cultures. However, having cultures exchange ideas and achievemnt is highly beneficial to advancing civilization or society or whatever. Therefore I suggest we have places where cultures come together precisely in an attempt at creating a new fusion between them. Some might call this monoculturalism, Id call it a hyperculture!

December 02, 2009, 02:08:29 AM
We already have these places.  They're called "embassies".

December 02, 2009, 02:34:12 AM
Please explain.

December 02, 2009, 10:25:10 AM
Evidently you advocate allowing all people to communicate/interact with all cultures.  Personally, I'm not yet sure whether this is a good idea or not.

December 02, 2009, 03:25:36 PM
 Based on what I said it is simply evident that I advocate this should happen sometimes and in a particular way, even though your right, I do not oppose different cultures interacting. However, I understand where a lot of anti multi-cultural sentiments come from (one cultural in a way taking over another, as could be argued is happening in Britain). Multi culturalism in Canada and the US - which were never a nation in the more conservative use of the word, has very strong cultural and genetic potential - which isn't being harnessed due to capitalism, IMO.

My reasoning is based on a desire to maintain the diversity of the world and on a desire to see cultures evolve.

December 02, 2009, 05:03:14 PM
The world was nice and diverse before multiculturalism, in fact probably more so. Cultures were allowed to flourish of their own accord without being forced to live with people of all cultures, sacrificing essential aspects of thier own identity to accomodate them. This works both ways though, both cultures are worse off in this situation then before.

This of course goes hand in hand with materialism and turning people into nothing more than consumers. Someone is of course benefiing from this......

However,i am for the cultural exchange of ideas. Often times interesting ideas become assimiliated by one culture and are used appropriately and in line with the cultural makeup/character of the culture assimilating them.

(p.s. if one culture can take over another culture, it is becasue the host culture was moribund anyhow....)

December 02, 2009, 05:48:11 PM
The world was nice and diverse before multiculturalism, in fact probably more so. Cultures were allowed to flourish of their own accord without being forced to live with people of all cultures, sacrificing essential aspects of thier own identity to accomodate them. This works both ways though, both cultures are worse off in this situation then before.

However,i am for the cultural exchange of ideas.

yes.  good points.  and with modern technology, cultures can exchange ideas so easily and rapidly that isolationism might as well be encouraged to simply stem the tide just a little bit.  peoples don't need to physically travel to learn about other cultures.  It's impossible to be isolated, nowadays, in the sense of the ancient Mayans.  Multiculturalism doesn't need to be pushed any more.  Everything is in place for the multiculturalist, it's all there at their fingertips.  The battle has been won, now let's see them transform the world (I won't hold my breath).

Re: [META] Communal Projects/ideas
December 04, 2009, 01:41:02 AM
I don't believe that more than one culture should inhabit the same land (ancestral land, conquered land, whatever), but I wouldn't disallow people of other cultures to travel through or stay in my people's land.

Ultimately, any "successful" culture must have good aspects which allow that success, therefore it is wise to respect all "successful" cultures.  The difficulty is in defining success for a culture.

Re: [META] Communal Projects/ideas
December 04, 2009, 02:35:29 AM
However,i am for the cultural exchange of ideas. Often times interesting ideas become assimiliated by one culture and are used appropriately and in line with the cultural makeup/character of the culture assimilating them.

I am too, but if it is made into a mass movement like immigration, we do not get the best of each. Rather we get some of the good, some of the bad, and a requirement to centralize control and regulate everyone uniformly thereby obliterating the diverse and cultural aspects we originally sought to appreciate. This is multiculturalism in the modern West at its most benevolent. At worst, cultures are trivialized as mere consumer products and its people as pawns in politics and as more easily exploitable labor. For example, community colleges now offer Chinese language courses not for understanding and respect but for its mechanical utility in economic exchanges as in telemarketing and so forth.

Cultures would be better served and conserved if they were left to themselves as a rule. Mass tourism, trade, and immigration would probably need to be reduced, but archaeologists, anthropologists, historians, diplomats and any other official business types could carry on as before.

If someone has genuine interests in cultures other than their own, they will make a profession of it and dedicate their lives to it. This was always only relatively few people. The rest of the ostensible diversity lovers will tend to have other, less noble or productive motives.