Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Activities of users of this forum

Activities of users of this forum
December 05, 2009, 03:32:47 PM
There are a number of threads here like this, so I think we should create one for:

* Your music
* Your blogs
* Your accomplishments
* Your photos
* Your visual art

I suggest we maintain a social standard by which only the best is praised, and the rest ignored -- not slammed.

Re: Activities of users of this forum
December 08, 2009, 09:24:51 PM
I am in a Metallica cover band.  I am scheming to write some original music, but am still preparing, studying, finding the right people, etc..  The band I am in now is a way to prepare for this, but I mostly do it because it is a lot of fun.

I just started a blog today about my success (or failure) at trading currencies on the foreign exchange market.

I hosted a metal radio show for three years, and an ambient one for a year.  Some of the ANUS approved bands I interviewed include Atheist and Yamatu.

I was in art school for a few years.  I never really considered myself much of a visual artist.  I was surprised at how good I was at drawing, but still nothing worth sharing really.  I enjoy playing around with The Gimp (like Photoshop but free) to make various images.

EDIT: I am also working on my philosophy degree.
Formerly known as "Metalist"

December 08, 2009, 10:05:51 PM
I am studying philosophy and environmental policy (as an undergraduate) and look forward to running aggressive consumer boycott campaigns against logging companies such as Abitibi Bowater and Bloedel in my city once I graduate; particularly where old growth forests are involved. Otherwise I study Southern Shaolin Kung Fu in my spare time.

December 08, 2009, 10:29:40 PM
I am the "leader" of an international group of musicians dedicated to the production of "dark music" (mainly Black Metal and Ambient/Dark Ambient), with a "social intent" to reawaken the Metal Underground.  There will also be literature (essays, and possibly fiction) and visual art coming from various members of this group.

I write and play all music for two projects, Fel and Wiht.  The former has one demo, one album, and two "compilations" (including two demos and assorted recordings) released (cassette tape releases only).  The latter has one promo (cassette tape), and I'm currently in the process of writing an album.  I also play the drums and the bass (and provide backing vocals) for Pvtaenfediavl, in essence a "Vermyapre Kommando tribute band", focusing on channeling the power and wisdom of G R B through music.

There is a chance that I may start "studying Philosophy" next year, though it is more likely that I will study Japanese.

December 08, 2009, 10:43:48 PM
* My music I am creating is using a bass guitar in a unique way to emulate a guitar.  This would be a doom/death metal  style using this method.

* I am not familiar with blogging...

*As far as what I have done, I have traveled 45 states, created some great music, and wrote a book dedicated to my grandfather.

*I have not taken outdoor photos in awhile. I enjoy walking and taking in nature. Naturally this helps me to create music in a fluid way

*I do like to involve myself with origami. Very peaceful and helps you to focus.

Yes go for Japanese! I have not spoken it in awhile but I have studied it for awhile. Writing kanji is also enjoyable. I do not know what languages you speak, Cargést, but since I am a speaker of italian it makes japanese easier because of the much use of vowels...

Italiano č una lingua grande  = itaria no idai na gengo de aru = Italian is a great language.

December 08, 2009, 10:55:38 PM
I'm an English speaker, but I also speak French, Spanish, German, some Scandinavian (except Danish and Icelandic), and, now, some Portuguese.  Japanese is far easier to pronounce than any of those!

Could you not just say "itaria go ga kyousei (yo!)"?

December 09, 2009, 01:14:32 AM
Yes that would work. I also at one time was learning norwegian, and was wanting to learn basque.

December 14, 2009, 03:46:18 PM
There are a number of threads here like this, so I think we should create one for:

* Your music
* Your blogs
* Your accomplishments
* Your photos
* Your visual art

I suggest we maintain a social standard by which only the best is praised, and the rest ignored -- not slammed.

Music: I used to be in a death metal band, we started off by playing Nile, Deicide and Slayer covers before doing our own thing. I left the band because they didn't seem to take it serious.

Blogs: No Blogs, used to work for a magazine in Egypt - was a writer there for about 6 months. I helped invent it actually along with a good friend. We weren't a particularly large workforce, the aim of the magazine was to promote Heavy Metal and classical music with denoting other forms of music such as pop and rock, as well as emphasize the importance of philosophy - highlighting the achievements of Islamic and Western philosophers (usually atheist). Promote nationalism and bring to light the true meaning of globalization - social critic. We had to abandon it because it was unsafe to promote beliefs which deviated from the 'cultural' norm.

Accomplishments: Study at an Ivy League school, hopeful of getting a PHD within evolutionary biology - specifically herpetology (reptiles and amphibians). Help revitalize the heavy metal scene in egypt largely due to the re-introduction of CD's and band concerts.

December 14, 2009, 05:37:08 PM
I'd love to hear some of your guy's musical works.

As for me, I enjoy doing visual art (http://ultima-thule.deviantart.com/) but only really dabble in it. I was an art major for about a year.

I've been animating for about 5 years now- you guys might enjoy this one although it's mostly an inside joke (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/493070)

My most challenging and fun work however is in video game design. I collaborate with a programmer/animator from the UK, and we work on projects (our current: http://secretofutopia.deviantart.com/) I realize most here probably disapprove of this field altogether, but I enjoy all aspects of it's creation.

I'm an English major with about a year left before I get my bachelors, and I like to write but keep most of it hidden.

Oh, and I also made a mock psudeo-gothic/black metal/shitcore band a looong time ago for pure fun. http://www.myspace.com/bloodprophecyband

December 14, 2009, 09:18:34 PM
I enjoyed that clip. Great work! For ease here is my latest clip i have worked on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAkdu3n9R90

December 14, 2009, 10:19:42 PM
* Your music
* Your blogs
* Your accomplishments
* Your photos
* Your visual art

I don't really create much music. I'm not very skilled at guitar or bass (I play both), so rather than flood the market with more shit, I am choosing to wait until I either get better, or never create anything and release it. I've been in a couple hardcore punk bands, but nothing too serious, and mostly when I was younger. We played GBH, The Exploited, Black Flag, old NOFX, and other covers.

I don't have a blog, but I've written a review here for the DLA (on MDF), and I write for The Metal Observer (mainstream website, I know, but its nice to have my voice heard since the site gets thousands of hits a day).

I'm currently a senior in undergrad college, pursuing a degree in history. I wish to become either an archaeologist or do work in a museum of some kind (like a curator).

I am not very good at visual art, and am mediocre at taking photos, so I do not do much of either.

I spend my time reading, absorbing information, musing, listening to music, doing schoolwork (this takes up most of my time as of now), practicing instruments, socializing with some friends, enjoying good beer every so often, and trolling everyone I can (not to make fun, usually, but to spur conversation). I play video games every once in a while as well. 
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

NHA

December 15, 2009, 06:07:39 AM

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6048/23536378.jpg

The stupid truck is an inside joke for the person i painted it for.

December 15, 2009, 11:48:20 PM
I used to write Incantation-style death metal. After a long while of not finding any competent drummers I gave up on music for a couple years, but now am starting to write again. I have two projects going, one is black metal/rock/post-punk and the other is folkish metal (basically rock-oriented black metal with acoustic guitars as the melodic instrument). I still haven't practiced with any drummers but I have two friends now who would be able to handle the material.

I started a blog on how anti-depressants were affecting me but deleted it shortly after I started on the meds because it caused more hyper-reflection than I could handle. I also write reviews on sputnikmusic.com sometimes when I'm really bored.

Accomplishments? Uh, I'm an Eagle Scout. I have a 3.8 GPA (major is computer programming). That's pretty much it.

December 15, 2009, 11:57:23 PM
black metal/rock/post-punk

You must either cheapen the Black Metal aspect of your work, or massively override the rock and post-punk aspects, enhancing them infinitely with the Black Metal aspect.

December 16, 2009, 12:08:11 AM
I just play what comes to mind so if the finished product ends up sounding nothing like black metal I'd still be okay with it. It has blastbeats, harsh vocals, tremolo picking etc but the mood, themes, melodies etc are more akin to post-punk, so interpret that how you want.