Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Immolation - Majesty and Decay

Re: Immolation reveal new album details
February 05, 2010, 08:46:09 PM
The album leaked.

One word review- "suckage".

February 07, 2010, 12:58:18 AM
The album leaked.

One word review- "suckage".

Worse than "Harnessing Ruin", would you say?

February 07, 2010, 01:04:30 AM
Much, much worse.  Harnessing Ruin is actually not bad if you can get past the questionable stylistic choices.  Majesty and Decay is total fucking garbage no matter how you look at it.

February 07, 2010, 02:49:51 AM
Far from their best, but It should appeal to fans of Close To A World Below - a giant incoherent mess of riffs. This time not many of the riffs stand out on their own, while CTAWB at least had a couple of good ones. Drumming is technically impeccable but seems overdone - i'm used to simple, loose drums in my Immolation, this time it's more a 'brutal' Behemoth style and sound.

February 07, 2010, 03:54:41 AM
Much, much worse.  Harnessing Ruin is actually not bad if you can get past the questionable stylistic choices.  Majesty and Decay is total fucking garbage no matter how you look at it.

I've never liked that album, I view it as their worst.

Shame, it looked promising what with the epic cover art and all.

February 07, 2010, 07:11:38 AM
It's just too bouncy for my tastes. The drummer plays the same three fills ad nauseum, the solos don't mesh with the riffs, and worst of all, their songwriting has devolved into chorus/verse/chorus arrangements.

February 07, 2010, 08:57:24 AM
I am disappointed with this album. On the one hand they try to sound original compared to their previous albums, on the other they try to maintain their signature playing style and sound. This seems like a bad mixture of techniques, skills and originality. Too many pinch harmonics, breakdowns that overpower most of the song structures.

The production is too modern for my tastes. The guitars are not as wide and deep, as in their previous albums.

In any case, I need more listens to cement an opinion.

February 08, 2010, 04:46:36 AM
This is awful.

1. Pretty much every vocal lines is joined at the hip to the rhythmic stress of the riff they're playing at the moment.

2. Obvious riffs are obvious.  They've taken about five archetypal riff forms, distilled them down to their lowest common denominator form, then strung them together in different sequences.

3. Melody, when it is present, is largely confined to the last third of each phrase, like an autistic child whistling tunelessly after furiously pounding his head on the wall.

4. Songs consist mostly of a blur of random elements designed to distract attention from the fact that each is anchored by a metalcore-style breakdown.

5. Leads are innocuous, bland, and decidedly unrevelatory.  Additionally, there are far to many lead breaks, a sure sign that the band was trying to pad song lengths to keep them above the 3 minute mark.

6. Almost every song fades out in repetition as a bittersweet emo lead molests the ears.  Why?  Because the songs are basically random and they can't be bothered to construct a logical musical conclusion.

February 08, 2010, 04:54:01 PM
1. Pretty much every vocal lines is joined at the hip to the rhythmic stress of the riff they're playing at the moment.

3. Melody, when it is present, is largely confined to the last third of each phrase, like an autistic child whistling tunelessly after furiously pounding his head on the wall.

6. Almost every song fades out in repetition as a bittersweet emo lead molests the ears.  Why?  Because the songs are basically random and they can't be bothered to construct a logical musical conclusion.

I agree. It reminds me of the Burzum Bolus: musicality is an afterthought and content entirely missing.

Re: Immolation - Majesty and Decay
February 09, 2010, 03:24:28 AM
Why is every one so surprised that its crap? Immolation have been terribly inconsistent after the first 2 albums, creating mostly filler material with a few memorable moments, and borderline garbage since Harnessing Ruin. This is exatly what should be expected of them. They have been the "cool band to like" for quite some time, and are clearly cashing in on the fact that vast numbers of people will buy this just based on the reputation of their name alone. Shity music from an inconsistant and way overhyped band that should have broke up almost a decade ago.

February 10, 2010, 04:23:45 AM
Crap. Sub-standard death metal with all the trimmings to make you think you are listening to something worthwhile... somewhat reminiscent of Necrophagist and the dreaded Opeth in a way.. music obsessed with being technical and progressive for the sake of appearing complex. Another pass on it and its actually just really boring.. The production is really weak here, drums drown out the melody with a sort of softening effect that results in a droning sound, vocals are barked out with very little emphasis on sounding in the least bit offensive.. All comes together in the end resulting in a snooze-fest. Musical proficiency doesn't make for good songwriting.

February 10, 2010, 02:41:07 PM
Why is every one so surprised that its crap?

I want to believe.

Sub-standard death metal with all the trimmings to make you think you are listening to something worthwhile... somewhat reminiscent of Necrophagist and the dreaded Pink Frothy AIDS in a way.. music obsessed with being technical and progressive for the sake of appearing complex. Another pass on it and its actually just really boring.. The production is really weak here, drums drown out the melody with a sort of softening effect that results in a droning sound, vocals are barked out with very little emphasis on sounding in the least bit offensive.. All comes together in the end resulting in a snooze-fest.

Indeed, it sounds half-hearted and has little content. I think it is designed to appeal to a "modern metal" audience, and band has confused aesthetic with content. So endeth a career. Both the new Burzum and the new Immolation are tvrds -- well fellas, I'm going to learn from this, and stop trusting gravity and sunlight to be there when I need them.

February 10, 2010, 06:40:03 PM
A massive disappointment. I hope the new Gorguts album is worthwhile, at least. Apparently, they're going into the studio late this year. I fervently hope they don't do an Emo-lation... This is almost a betrayal from a band I thought would never make a major mistake. Something a little different, sure but in an interesting direction at least. Not this. I couldn't even sit through the whole album. I'm going to try listening to it again.

February 16, 2010, 08:10:37 AM
Studio Sneak Preview with drummer Steve Shalaty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Nkj6xeUEs&feature=player_embedded

I hear traces of Close to a World Below!

What's absolutely incredible is how this band refuses to give in to the pressure of corporations. I think every band which started out well, ended up "experimenting" with their sound and going all reductionist on our asses. Other bands release an album every other year to keep touring - Immolation is another story, incredible quality and I have always liked the drummers.

February 16, 2010, 08:12:28 AM
Oh the album leaked, I'll judge the material myself.