Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Smoking pot makes you depressed for life

Re: Smoking pot makes you depressed for life
December 26, 2009, 03:37:23 AM
Why use a crutch? Reality is good enough if not better.

Further, easy habits lead to slothful lives and wasted time.

There are better things you could be doing.

I don't have a problem with some Sadhu using indica in a disciplined way... but 99.99% of pot users are like video gamers, tv watchers, etc.

Swallowed up.

December 30, 2009, 06:03:53 PM
I can't speak to the science of it, but I have seen quite a bit of first-hand empirical evidence that suggests there may be some truth to this.(I know many who have smoked, some regularly, since the 80's at least and nearly ALL exhibit some classic signs of depression) Then again, the depression may stem from any number of other sources, and have nothing whatever to do with dope.

They were probably at that point in their lives depressed about anything, like being laid off from their job, or losing a family member, etc. Marijuana I highly doubt would ever cause that, it may actually help naturally reverse that.

Everyone has different reactions from it, but they stem from their personalities. If you give a very annoying, childish person pure THC, they're going to act just as stupid when they're high. I wouldn't go blaming depression on marijuana right off the bat, though.

January 02, 2010, 05:29:22 AM
Vapourized (not smoked) Cannabis is probably the best drug there is. No ill effects of smoking, and uses less so you don't feel as guilty spending your money on it.
Finally, for you who might want to wax dilettante sophomore: most smokers don't die of lung cancer. Most potheads however do nothing of importance in their lives.
How can you say this with a straight face? Lung cancer is a massive problem worldwide. 'Most' smokers won't die of cancer if they don't live long or don't smoke much in their lives, but definitely more than most of moderate to heavy smokers die of it.

Although maybe it is different as I live in Canada (and I'm guessing you live in America) and a greater % of the population uses/has tried Cannabis, I know many successful people who are regular users and haven't let it hold them back in life. Not everyone who uses Cannabis is a total lumpenprole, duude. Though I suppose many are drawn to it which gives it a bad rap. Best to stay away from such people and keep good company.

Cannabis when used in moderation can be an enjoyable experience and is useful for finding different perspectives on things.

January 02, 2010, 02:31:46 PM
Vapourized (not smoked) Cannabis is probably the best drug there is. No ill effects of smoking, and uses less so you don't feel as guilty spending your money on it.

Cannabis when used in moderation can be an enjoyable experience and is useful for finding different perspectives on things.

* http://www.vaporizergiant.com/volcano_vaporizer.html

As far as negative side effects go I've seen none. Also, it seems the cure for cancer has been right under our noses this entire time (no pun intended):
http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy_main/2007/apr/18/cannabis_doesnt_cause_cancer_but

January 02, 2010, 07:48:30 PM
Lotta denial here.

Think about it this way: if there's an existing cycle, and you insert something which makes it easier, the entire cycle adjusts to accept that new thing -- and then becomes dependent on it, because it has adjusted itself.

We know being high changes hormone levels in the body and causes changes in the brain. Why would we expect no other changes?

Open your eyes!

January 02, 2010, 08:14:58 PM
Think about it this way: if there's an existing cycle, and you insert something which makes it easier, the entire cycle adjusts to accept that new thing -- and then becomes dependent on it, because it has adjusted itself.

To be fair, couldn't you say this of just about anything?

January 03, 2010, 06:04:45 AM

You could say of it many things, but there's a question of degree: a really intense experience is going to be really intensely habit-forming.

For you drinkers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/28/AR2009122801899.html

January 03, 2010, 07:42:16 AM

You could say of it many things, but there's a question of degree: a really intense experience is going to be really intensely habit-forming.

There are always those who keep a strong sense of self-control. Would you include them as well? I guess if you use it for that "spiritual connection" sort of idea, I wouldn't see any harm in it. Not that I'm an expert in the field but I always thought of it as broccoli, but for your brain. It's a plant and as we know, green variations of plants are the healthiest for us. Logically, if we put that in our brain via smoke inhalation, wouldn't it have those benefits but applied mentally?

January 03, 2010, 09:38:37 AM
Not that I'm an expert in the field but I always thought of it as broccoli, but for your brain. It's a plant and as we know, green variations of plants are the healthiest for us. Logically, if we put that in our brain via smoke inhalation, wouldn't it have those benefits but applied mentally?
Haha, no... You don't smoke wheat to get more whole grains in your diet. But as for people with self-control, there's a good chance they aren't using the drug, since they don't need "help," since their lives are organized, since they possess willpower. Not that there aren't exceptions to that, but that brings us to square one.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

January 03, 2010, 10:34:04 AM
That's all well and good but people without willpower or organizational skills are likely to bring ruin to everything they touch.  If someone decides that they are going to structure their lives around inhaling a burning plant they probably have little of either.  Also, lets remember that doing certain things will yield certain results.  If your only goal in life is to get high, it doesn't surprise me that the person choosing this as the most important thing in his life would become depressed.  You may have had fun but nothing of any real importance was accomplished.  However, I can also see people who are successful in other areas of life such as carpentry, music, or government etc. enjoy a bowl or two of the ol' green every day and be perfectly happy with their lives.  Depression is most likely to set in when the smoker realizes smoking weed is all that defines his life and other than that he is useless.

January 03, 2010, 04:35:06 PM
There are always those who keep a strong sense of self-control. Would you include them as well? I guess if you use it for that "spiritual connection" sort of idea, I wouldn't see any harm in it. Not that I'm an expert in the field but I always thought of it as broccoli, but for your brain. It's a plant and as we know, green variations of plants are the healthiest for us. Logically, if we put that in our brain via smoke inhalation, wouldn't it have those benefits but applied mentally?

Obviously, you thought of this but it must be mentioned: some plants are poisonous. Some, like coffee beans, may have some benefits but if misapplied, can cause real problems. You've seen someone with a coffee withdrawal headache, right?

To my mind, the benefits of marijuana are not mental as much as they are personality-based. Relaxation, ego-death, contentment with self... these are mental in that the personality is mental, but they replace functions you otherwise need to develop on their own.

This is why generally drug users become dependent. Marijuana isn't bad or good; it's just there. But we need to measure the consequences of its being in our lives, and see what it means -- and what the experiences of others have been. If 90% of them have ended badly, it's of questionable use to us.

January 03, 2010, 07:11:02 PM
Conservationist does have a point. Smoking anything is unnatural, even if the smoke has medicinal properties.

I personally think of Cannabis as a tool, which just like any other drug, can have negative consequences. I think one just has to be aware of the psychology behind using such substances and realizing when the negative benefits are beginning to outweigh the positive. Unfortunately, most stoners cannot comprehend this. I think it's a bit unfair to derive a correlation between failure in life to Cannabis usage. Most people usually use it, like alcohol, as a comfort for their shitty lives. We don't have to be a part of these people.

January 03, 2010, 10:29:29 PM
Breaking dependence on THC is something of a complicated task. One has to ask himself if he should stop altogether, only smoke on weekends, admit being a complete and total addict, or try to assert moderation.

I've tried moderation and failed. Quitting altogether has forced me to reach farther out into the external world to find things that can satisfy me like the onset of a THC high once did. A few things that have helped me along the way:

Exercise
Hardcore punk/quality metal
Active and dedicated social life
Arts and crafts
Exercise
Family time (something that I once avoided like the plague because my family believes drugs are morally wrong)
Taking pride in personal appearance (something I neglected most of the time whilst using drugs)
Exercise

January 03, 2010, 11:21:31 PM
I'd like to add one more:

Work.

The best people in life and the happiest are those who find a use for themselves and work hard on it.

It's like having dinner before dessert: the reward comes from exerting yourself, not passing the time.

You'll regret (later) any time you blow off unproductively (now).

Unless, of course, you're doomed to inutility like 90% of humanity.

January 05, 2010, 02:48:21 PM
@Conservationist:

What of those that use marijuana for spiritual or meditative reasons? The whole party scene where pot is seen as something that'll "get you fucked up" is of no importance to me if that's its only reason for using. I personally enjoy smoking on my lonesome and "experiencing" it, with all the thoughts that follow. Any idiot can turn something good into something bad, however.