Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Smoking pot makes you depressed for life

Re: Smoking pot makes you depressed for life
January 05, 2010, 07:30:49 PM
@Conservationist:

What of those that use marijuana for spiritual or meditative reasons? The whole party scene where pot is seen as something that'll "get you fucked up" is of no importance to me if that's its only reason for using. I personally enjoy smoking on my lonesome and "experiencing" it, with all the thoughts that follow. Any idiot can turn something good into something bad, however.

My experience with the drug is the same. I enjoy learning with it, especially something long and time consuming (c# programming) or doing creative trance-like things like visual art.

February 28, 2010, 01:18:17 AM
The longer people use cannabis or marijuana, the more likely they are to experience hallucinations or delusions or to suffer psychosis

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5idu_xz8MDQA2O-nVNq4zzkCEWvSg

Moderation or abstinence in all things is a good basic rule for living.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

February 28, 2010, 04:38:55 PM
I'd like to add one more:

Work.

The best people in life and the happiest are those who find a use for themselves and work hard on it.

It's like having dinner before dessert: the reward comes from exerting yourself, not passing the time.

You'll regret (later) any time you blow off unproductively (now).

Unless, of course, you're doomed to inutility like 90% of humanity.

This is true. I like to work, whether it is at my job or doing schoolwork. Even if I do not particularly like what I am working on, I always feel good about myself when the task is finished.

Interestingly, smoking marijuana then engaging in outside work around the house (raking leaves, shoveling snow, cleaning outdoor furniture) is pretty enjoyable for me. Actually, I like working on stuff after I smoke. Break the stereotype!
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

March 04, 2010, 09:21:38 AM
I'd like to add one more:

Work.

The best people in life and the happiest are those who find a use for themselves and work hard on it.

It's like having dinner before dessert: the reward comes from exerting yourself, not passing the time.

You'll regret (later) any time you blow off unproductively (now).

Unless, of course, you're doomed to inutility like 90% of humanity.

Towards what end, simply being happy or something more? Does it matter what work you do? You bring to light an important truth - work makes you happy and is as such a "drug", most people do it because the work itself pleases them, not because of a pleasing outcome or for the money. My next door neighbor spends hours each night fruitlessly sweeping his driveway, now that's a drug like no other.

March 04, 2010, 03:36:57 PM
I don't think that because it's habit forming (addictive), it should be ignored. It's good, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has never used it, but for the curious who have used it, they don't regret it, even with bad consequences like addiction. Some stop completely after a while, I think the majority continues to use and others do it on rare ocasions. But I don't think people who smoke it everyday are "structuinrg their lives" around it. There are people who wake up, smoke tobacco cigarette, smoke it at afternoon, and it night, everyday, and people think it's fine, but not so with the cannabis.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

March 04, 2010, 04:16:13 PM
I don't think that because it's habit forming (addictive), it should be ignored. It's good, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has never used it, but for the curious who have used it, they don't regret it, even with bad consequences like addiction. Some stop completely after a while, I think the majority continues to use and others do it on rare ocasions. But I don't think people who smoke it everyday are "structuinrg their lives" around it. There are people who wake up, smoke tobacco cigarette, smoke it at afternoon, and it night, everyday, and people think it's fine, but not so with the cannabis.

You raise a valid point, but look how many people are against cigs. Health-wise, with all of the bullshit chemicals and who knows what that cigarette manufacturers put in the tobacco, they're much worse for you than marijuana. People don't think it's "fine" for someone to go through a pack a day, generally.

Find some people who claim to smoke marijuana every day. Then find a productive human being. I'm sure the cases won't overlap 99% of the time. Marijuana has the whole stoner culture attached to it, so that when you do smoke reefer all the time, you won't feel like a loser, you'll feel like you're part of something, even though its incredible juvenile and stupid.

Use marijuana occasionally if you must at all.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

March 04, 2010, 07:00:43 PM
It's true about the stoner culture (but I wouldn't call it all stupid). Some people just like to smoke it up everyday. Regardless of the bad uses it can have, I think we should treat it the same way we treat alcohol: A drug that can be fun, sociable, and good, if used in a good manner, and that manner is different for all of us, so the user must find his own path. The difference is, cannabis is vastly superior to alcohol, because it brings learning.  Look at this great site:

www.marijuana-uses.com

The best site on cannabis, for me. It has a lot of intelligent articles, by respected individuals, including that famous Mr. X one (Carl Sagan).

For me, the ideal use would be only on weekends.

Sometimes people know they're addicted, but they choose to continue. One cypress hill song says "I'm hooked on chronic"
You're quite hostile.

March 04, 2010, 11:13:23 PM
It doesn't make you depressed for life. That's utter cock.

How not to be a typical stoner:

1. Smoke only in the evenings past 8 o'clock

2. Smoke sativa dominant marijuana (low cbd and average 15% thc) in a bong, vapouriser or pipe

3. Smoke no more than two grams a week

4. Never smoke with tobacco

5. Use as a transcendental tool for worship of music, nature, women, etc

6. Create or explore

7. Burn your shitty fucking Kyuss and Cypress conging Hill cdeez and worship Chris Carter and Grave Miasma instead

Hail Cannabis! Death to lazy, stoner fucktard scum! Fuck!

March 04, 2010, 11:50:38 PM
Case in point made with the ranting outburst above.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

March 05, 2010, 01:45:49 AM
The difference is, cannabis is vastly superior to alcohol, because it brings learning.  
Amusing since marijuana tends to knock out the hippocampus...

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

"Short-Term Effects
The short-term effects of marijuana include:

* Problems with memory and learning
    * Trouble with thinking and problem-solving"

March 05, 2010, 01:59:36 AM
sometimes it has those side effects, but it also brings learning.

--

Somehow I think in the USA some presidents were all influenced by drugs. George W Bush, as I read on the internet, has been a user of cocaine, and has experimented with other drugs, and also barack obama. Bill clinton said he didn't inhale, but who can know for sure? Well, but it's said the presidents never control anything, and other people really lead. I don't know if this is just a theory, but it seems right to me.

--

Although legalization activists and many marijuana users believe smoking pot has no negative effects, scientific research indicates that marijuana use can cause many different health problems.

This is a false claim used to create a image of error about the legalization actvists. There is no proof that all of them believe and preach that marijuana has no negative effects, in fact I think most of them acknowledge that.
You're quite hostile.

March 05, 2010, 02:10:33 AM
As I previously stated, what learning could you get from smoking pot that you couldn't get while sober or reading a book? Sounds like a load of shit.

"I managed to drive home without an accident while drunk yesterday, drinking must enhance driving!"

March 05, 2010, 02:25:33 AM
As I previously stated, what learning could you get from smoking pot that you couldn't get while sober or reading a book? Sounds like a load of shit.

"I managed to drive home without an accident while drunk yesterday, drinking must enhance driving!"

You obviously haven't smoked pot.
You're quite hostile.

March 05, 2010, 02:26:52 AM

You probably wouldn't say that if you try it.

But in many ways it's not so much a matter of what you think about as much as it is a matter of how you think in the first place. Of course the mechanism at issue goes largely unrecognized by mainstream society, in the same sense that the way people think differently from one another is always chalked up to the notion that "no two people are alike" - that thought is not random but is a highly complex and structured process that can be manipulated (and that certain states could be more or less ideal than others) is a foreign concept; some spirituality realizes this potential for transformation, but even most religion doesn't pay attention to it.
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow — RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

March 05, 2010, 02:28:06 AM
I haven't done heroin or become the President yet either, should I refrain from making statements about those?

Arguments like that are idiotic, if I can't be critical of anyone because I don't share their experiences, then don't Christians live on a pedestal because of their theories of creation?

Every "theory" I've heard from a stoners mouth is regurgitated from a bastardisation of Fight Club style American media and 2000 year old philosophy. Please tell me if there's a club that coherent well thought out stoners attend to though.