Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Smoking pot makes you depressed for life

Re: Smoking pot makes you depressed for life
March 05, 2010, 02:33:34 AM
No. As I did not imply that.

March 05, 2010, 02:41:07 AM
I haven't done heroin or become the President yet either, should I refrain from making statements about those?

Arguments like that are idiotic, if I can't be critical of anyone because I don't share their experiences, then don't Christians live on a pedestal because of their theories of creation?
First of all Christianity is a matter of faith, which is precisely antithetical to evidence.

I realize that you did not say "it is 100% positively a load of shit", but I did not intend to be absolute in my reply, either. That being said, although it's true that hypotheses can be constructed in absence of experience, drug use is more of an exception to this rule in the sense that it is particularly difficult to anticipate how a drug will affect you since that decision-making process is a product of your state of awareness and your mental faculties and it is precisely these things that taking a drug temporarily transforms (or to put it more simply what changes is not the observer's observation but the observer's very state of being and secondly therethrough their observation). Of course the case of heroine is different since it is scientifically proven to be highly physically addictive, whereas the evidence that marijuana is addictive has to do with psychological addiction and is far less conclusive.

March 05, 2010, 02:45:58 AM
@Marcus: You are implying it.

Without the experience of smoking marijuana, all your experiences and learning lay outside the realm of analysis, in a manner no different from when Christians say they are self-transcendent and enlightened because they've felt Jesus in their lives. As I've stated previously in this thread, there has never been any evidence suggesting marijuana enhances learning, creativity, thought etc, only evidence suggesting that it inhibits memory formation, has minimal/negative effects on creativity and prevents coherent thought.

Yes I understand Christianity is a part of faith, hence why it's not quantifiable. Cognitive processes on the other hand are, both qualitatively and quantitatively testable, yet marcus is seeking a status of faith for both of those.

March 05, 2010, 02:49:53 AM
Well, some christians must truly be enlightened, being, they are better, more satisfied, calm people because of something they think is Jesus, but it could be nothing but a confidence, the positive powers of faith having its beneficial effects on their "souls".

Transxics defined really well the matter of smoking/not smoking.

March 05, 2010, 02:52:09 AM
As I've stated previously in this thread, there has never been any evidence suggesting marijuana enhances learning, creativity, thought etc, only evidence suggesting that it inhibits memory formation, has minimal/negative effects on creativity and prevents coherent thought.
Well that would really surprise me if it were true, but, in all fairness, marijuana is illegal and still highly taboo and it can't be easy to get legal permission or funding to conduct experiments about it, let alone experiments that seek to measure it's positive attributes.

March 05, 2010, 02:59:40 AM
Well, some christians must truly be enlightened, being, they are better, more satisfied, calm people because of something they think is Jesus, but it could be nothing but a confidence, the positive powers of faith having its beneficial effects on their "souls".

Like being stoned, or having a good workout routine, faith based happy thoughts are neurology and biochemistry at work. Nonetheless, this doesn't mean damaging side effects never come about during the course of any of these activities.

Temporary favorable and long term destructive results can originate in the same cause. They are not mutually exclusive. Do modern people have a giant mental blind spot or what? "It feels good, therefore it must be impeccably flawless." Dumb.

March 05, 2010, 03:03:24 AM
I guess it's dumber to believe people who pratice and defend a taboo behavior, like drugs, must consider it flawless and are hiding their addictions and not accepting that it can be bad.

I'm all for people getting satisfaction from working in rewarding things, but one thing isn't exactly another. When you use drugs you get results wich are more or less alike a good workout, or something. But it's also entirely different, and a unique experience. So people will seek it, no matter what. Conclusions about the possible negative effects of the drug must be observed in the user, not presumed just for the fact of drug use.

March 05, 2010, 03:08:00 AM

Transxics defined really well the matter of smoking/not smoking.
I don't really like building my world view from an unreality (not saying that I'm an empiricist/positivist either though).

Progression and self-realisation begins by disregarding unreals and the irrelevant (drug based hallucinations, seeking out God, believing in UFOs etc), not using them as a foundation.

March 05, 2010, 03:16:13 AM
Conclusions about the possible negative effects of the drug must be observed in the user, not presumed just for the fact of drug use.

The quoted sources conclude by informing us that dedicated potheads tend toward mental illness. You are saying smoking dope gives great results.

March 05, 2010, 03:16:35 AM
I don't really like building my world view from an unreality (not saying that I'm an empiricist/positivist either though).

Progression and self-realisation begins by disregarding unreals and the irrelevant (drug based hallucinations, seeking out God, believing in UFOs etc), not using them as a foundation.
Are you implying that your current reality paradigm does possess a foundation 100% impeccable in its logical conclusiveness? If not, then on what basis do you submit that drug use is incompatible with the spiritual realization of such a foundation?

March 05, 2010, 03:18:18 AM
Would you say we, by following the path you mentioned, shoud ignore then all things that happen in dreams? (not to say the effects of cannabis is just like a dream, dreams are actually nightly doses of potent mind altered, semi-psychedelic expriences.)

March 05, 2010, 03:25:56 AM

Are you implying that your current reality paradigm does possess a foundation 100% impeccable in its logical conclusiveness? If not, then on what basis do you submit that drug use is incompatible with the spiritual realization of such a foundation?
No, I'm saying that you are introducing unneeded error into the equation by basing your worldview on religious/drug altered experiences which are irrelevant to reality.

And yes, contriving meaning from dreams is a pointless task.

March 05, 2010, 03:30:13 AM

March 05, 2010, 03:33:57 AM
Dreams are ripples in the water from the stone's throw of conscious memory. They are the incoherent reassembly of fragments of shattered glass mosaics that when whole are each memories. The reassembly process of dreaming isn't designed for capturing meaning. It is for waste removal from the psyche.

March 05, 2010, 03:38:23 AM
Dreams are ripples in the water from the stone's throw of conscious memory. They are the incoherent reassembly of fragments of shattered glass mosaics that when whole are each memories. The reassembly process of dreaming isn't designed for capturing meaning. It is for waste removal from the psyche.

Even if that were true, nothing stops you from analysing your toughts by them, after all, you said, they are our toughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9LiI9jgs4