Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Enjoying Metal

Enjoying Metal
December 20, 2009, 07:01:06 PM
I occasionally see posts on this site saying that extreme metal is ugly and not really meant to be enjoyed. They essentially say that extreme metal is appreciated because what it represents, but the sound is not meant to be enjoyed. I find this highly disturbing because I genuinely love the sound of extreme metal. I'm curious to see how many people actually enjoy the sound of extreme metal.

Re: Enjoying Metal
December 20, 2009, 08:02:29 PM
Listening to music just because of the idea it represents is stupid. Why not read a book or attend a lecture about those ideas instead?

I enjoy extreme metal on a sonic level, and I enjoy it more than I enjoy most other things - it's my escape from the bland reality I find myself misplaced in. I guess you could say it's something of a vice, being dependent on the internet for free mp3's and devoting an inordinate amount of time to it when it does nothing to advance me as a person, but it's probably healthier than say, a drug habit.

December 20, 2009, 08:46:34 PM
Not once have I heard this claim made by a regular poster on this forum...
In a state of permanent Abyss

December 20, 2009, 09:33:27 PM
Not once have I heard this claim made by a regular poster on this forum...

I agree.  Please cite or we'll assume you're trolling (or simply not a careful reader).

December 21, 2009, 02:54:41 AM
I will third that scepticism - been around the forum for some years now and never heard a regular express such a dubious idea. Any of the one-hit-wonder type posters(trolls) might have said it, of course, but that must be taken for what it is. 

December 21, 2009, 03:57:19 AM
I'd call it ugly, at least by traditional standards, but I wouldn't say it's designed to be unenjoyable. It's designed to pose a challenge, to plant a defiant fist in the face of comfort and peace - people who don't enjoy challenges will misinterpret that and universalize their personal reaction, thereby coming up with "it's not meant to be enjoyed." Personally, I love the sound of metal - just as I love the sounds of gunfire, nature, and Beethoven.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

December 21, 2009, 06:52:40 AM
Personally, I love the sound of metal - just as I love the sounds of gunfire, nature, and Beethoven.

Well said sir!!

X

December 21, 2009, 07:17:19 AM
Personally, I love the sound of metal - just as I love the sounds of gunfire, nature, and Beethoven.

Well said sir!!

Well said indeed!

December 21, 2009, 04:24:16 PM
Thunderous is the sound of metal, hence the name. The difference between this clash and the noise of modern life is the reference that metal has in romanticism. We, as sentient entities, organize a representation of conflict in metal, reminding us nature's strength beyond our human rational construction.  We must face nature in ourselves and outside ourselves,  this provokes a sense of awe that most people are afraid to feel ,which black and death metal emphasize in an unique way, and a sense of reverence that the other rest of people is afraid to pay. 

I must add that, the problem of bad metal, as of modern art, is that it becomes just angst.

War

December 21, 2009, 04:44:05 PM
The beauty of Metal IS its 'ugliness'; it's harsh defiance of modern, illusionary morality... Maybe it's not meant to be enjoyed by Christians or Liberals...

December 21, 2009, 09:32:46 PM
People listen to Kenny G.
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

December 22, 2009, 04:54:39 AM
The beauty of Metal IS its 'ugliness'; it's harsh defiance of modern, illusionary morality... Maybe it's not meant to be enjoyed by Christians or Liberals...

Metal is designed to reject hippies, whether they're christian or not. A lot of christians are hippies.

Some conservative christians pointed that metal was perverting youth, and given the common stereotype of the glamstar I agree with them. What these christian gentlemen lacked was a deeper understanding of metal.

January 05, 2010, 05:05:57 AM
when i first started hearing metal and alot of other heavy music  it sounded unpleasant to me but as time went on i got more familiar with the music and it started to grow on me and ive heard alot of my friends say similar things, i was just wondering if that happened commonly or if i just forced my self to listen to metal

January 05, 2010, 01:16:42 PM
I occasionally see posts on this site saying that extreme metal is ugly and not really meant to be enjoyed. They essentially say that extreme metal is appreciated because what it represents, but the sound is not meant to be enjoyed. I find this highly disturbing because I genuinely love the sound of extreme metal. I'm curious to see how many people actually enjoy the sound of extreme metal.

Fuckin' awesome! I enjoy it most when I'm hyperactive (usually around workout time) and whenever I have extra energy. It can be pretty fun at times.