Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Problems with metal

Problems with metal
December 22, 2009, 12:09:08 AM
So I'm 15 and I really like metal. This is really hard to explain, but sometimes I don't understand it, and when this happens I get very angry and start hitting things. I have an anger problem I think. This website doesn't explain it in ways that I completely understand (Like I said, I'm 15 and I also have a learning disability) Metal used to be the greatest thing ever to me, now it's as if I'm losing the love that I once had for metal. (I started listening when I was 14.)

Re: Problems with metal
December 22, 2009, 12:38:24 AM
You may have problems that are not related to the music you listen to, but regarding metal, I'll tell you my experience.

In my teenager days, in metal, I found a sense of rebellion, chaos, hate, violence and that stuff that "nice people" is scared of. I was a bad boy. Then I noticed that real bad boys listen to crime oriented music (as example, gansta rap in America) or simply listened to Kenny G or no music at all. So, as I grew up, I opted to find goodness and beauty in metal. Classical music helps a lot to develop such understanding of metal, and I recommend you to listen classical music with as much passion as you listen metal music.

Remember: Burzum means light.

December 22, 2009, 12:41:25 AM
You may have problems that are not related to the music you listen to, but regarding metal, I'll tell you my experience.

In my teenager days, in metal, I found a sense of rebellion, chaos, hate, violence and that stuff that "nice people" is scared of. I was a bad boy. Then I noticed that real bad boys listen to crime oriented music (as example, gansta rap in America). Then, as I grew up, I opted to find goodness and beauty in metal. Classical music helps a lot to develop such understanding of metal, and I recommend you to listen classical music with as much passion as you listen to metal music.

Remember: Burzum means light.

Alright thanks dude. Can you recommend any classical? I already have most of the big names such as J.S. Bach etc.

December 22, 2009, 12:43:02 AM
Brahms's Symphonies are fantastic - I have a personal fondness for Number 4, but they're all good.

December 22, 2009, 01:07:50 AM
Alright thanks dude. Can you recommend any classical? I already have most of the big names such as J.S. Bach etc.

Anton Bruckner is good for the soul. His symphonies are immortal, my favorite being the 8th. Thomas Tallis is a good dude. As you mentioned J. S. Bach you may be a fan of baroque music, Arcangello Corelli is highly advisable, if you haven't heard him.  :)

December 22, 2009, 05:56:59 AM
Just keep in mind that answers rarely come easy. Be patient with everything, including something you're trying to understand. It'll come to you as you get older if you're patient.

December 22, 2009, 04:59:55 PM
So I'm 15 and I really like metal. This is really hard to explain, but sometimes I don't understand it, and when this happens I get very angry and start hitting things. I have an anger problem I think. This website doesn't explain it in ways that I completely understand (Like I said, I'm 15 and I also have a learning disability) Metal used to be the greatest thing ever to me, now it's as if I'm losing the love that I once had for metal. (I started listening when I was 14.)
What do you mean by "learning disability"? I generally equate that with mental retardation, but you have fairly competent communication skills.

December 22, 2009, 06:17:28 PM
What do you mean by "learning disability"? I generally equate that with mental retardation, but you have fairly competent communication skills.

I don't think telling people non-humorously that one "starts hitting things" when one gets angry qualifies as competent communication skills.

December 22, 2009, 09:26:01 PM
Not mental retardation, just a huge problem concentrating. Like, sometimes people have to explain things to me several times before I understand it.

December 23, 2009, 03:13:27 AM
The dude has add. I thought that was fairly obvious.

Anyway, as for the threadstarter, I would simply say that understanding certain complexities will take time. Don't force it, and it'll make sense when you're ready.

December 23, 2009, 04:54:54 PM
I have an anger problem I think.

Yep.

The problem with metal is that it has a heritage worse than simian: it's still got rock tendencies in it.

Were it to leave rock behind, like say Fripp and Eno did, it would be able to grow to its true potential.