Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

IMMORTAL interview contains some clarity

IMMORTAL interview contains some clarity
December 22, 2009, 07:58:34 PM
EXPRESS: Abbath was married to your sister, and then they got divorced. Did that situation play any role in Immortal's break?

DEMONAZ: No, never. There was no problem. They separated as friends. ... It sounds quite strange, but Abbath and I have never had any serious issues and never had any arguments or problems that would hurt the band in any way. Even I really don't understand why it is like that.

The industrial side of being in a band — where the record label's demanding you to do things and management wants you to go on tour, we felt the spark and the spirit were slowly drifting away a little

We never felt like the band should be out playing Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday just to get bread on the table. Immortal is not a factory, it's not a job for us — it's a band, and a band needs the spirit. ...

I think a lot of other bands should do the same: Don't go out on tour and burn yourself up and destroy your band totally. I think it's better, at least for us. We never let Immortal become our job. ... It's like Abbath said, "If we have to take other jobs to save the band, that's good." So we did that ... in the break.

EXPRESS: Did you have just musical jobs, or were they regular day jobs?

DEMONAZ: We also have day jobs — but they last for a day [laughs]. I worked for an advertising company for one and half years. And Abbath, he worked ... construction. He did that for a year or something.

Of course I support nature. it's the only power that means something; it's the only power that you can relate to — the elements. I can't relate to any religion ... you have to believe in what you see, and that's what I do: The things I can relate to in life, and that is what I put in my lyrics. The real atmospheres.

You know Conan the Barbarian? He had a god called Crom, and Crom doesn't care about him, but still he worships him or relates to him. It is the same with me: Nature doesn't care about us, but I still worship it. But it's the dark side of it from which I draw my inspiration.

This time of the year, when it's cold outside and it's dark, you can get in the mood to write music. In the summer, I have to go somewhere else, I have to travel somewhere else to get the inspiration. When the sun is warm and hot, you get lazy and you can't do anything. I can't think about much then. Nature is the foundation of everything I've written. ... We're not a negative band ... and I think the fans know that. Immortal is about the power to the one who listens to it. I always write like Manowar — with a lot of pride, a lot of power, a lot of praise. It's like standing on a hillside and watching the world fall down, and having your fist [in the air] and saying, "Forget about it. Fuck 'em all."

http://www.expressnightout.com/content/2009/12/immortal-all-shall-fall-norwegian-black-metal.php

Explains why they distrust the press as well.

Re: IMMORTAL interview contains some clarity
December 23, 2009, 02:11:06 AM
Some North American tour dates were also recently confirmed:

After the fantastic experiences we had in New York and Los Angeles in 2007, we are returning next year, and this time we will make sure we visit our Canadian hordes on the East coast as well! We will see you during Easter 2010, which will be a dark and cold one!”

BLASHYRKH IN NORTH AMERICA 2010:

03.27.10: Toronto, ON – Opera House
03.28.10: Montreal, QC – Metropolis
03.30.10: Brooklyn, NY (18+) – Masonic Temple
04.02.10: Los Angeles, CA -The Avalon

There will be a limited amount of VIP tickets available for each show, which will include a laminate, a poster, early entry to the venue and a signing session with the band after the concert.

Tickets are available now!

http://www.immortalofficial.com/blog/

December 23, 2009, 05:28:57 AM
Not surprising to hear that Demonaz was not involved at all with the trio of albums that came after the excellent "Blizzard Beasts."

Regardless of the stylistic changes, the songwriting is just totally different on those albums, to the point that they feel more like heavy metal hiding in a black metal aesthetic.

Haven't heard their latest CD, so I can't comment on that one.

December 23, 2009, 07:48:29 AM
You must have clairvoyance.  All Shall Fall is Heavy Metal peeking its head out of a Black Metal aesthetic.

December 23, 2009, 10:16:15 AM
I can't disagree with wEEman or Cargest, but quite honestly, I think those three albums are very GOOD heavy metal, and thus, I enjoy them  despite possessing only the remnants of the old BM trappings . I will say "All Shall Fall" bored me to tears, however, and I have no real interest in it. 

December 23, 2009, 11:42:47 AM
I'm a little surprised they're flying all the way from Norway to the U.S. without bothering to stop in the middle of the country.  Chicago or even some city in Texas probably would have sold out given the three month notice and the notoriety of the band.

December 24, 2009, 03:30:29 AM
One question...What happened with Horgh, and why is the drumming on the new album so fucking boring?....sounds like there's a snare, bass drum, and a cymbal....WTF?...especially compared to the extremely thought out (and written) drumming on the album before it.

December 24, 2009, 05:12:51 AM
Although I'm a huge fan of Immortal's early work, their Live show in Los Angeles in '07 (or '06, not sure) was terrible.  Somehow they ended up butchering their own songs, which was disappointing because the set list was great.

December 25, 2009, 08:07:56 PM
The only time I've seen them live was a forgettable experience. Abbath can't play any of their older material. He fucks up all the amazing guitarwork of Demonaz.

Who really thinks they're gonna be putting out anything even close to BITN? Not here.

December 26, 2009, 02:54:08 PM
The only time I've seen them live was a forgettable experience. Abbath can't play any of their older material. He fucks up all the amazing guitarwork of Demonaz.

Who really thinks they're gonna be putting out anything even close to BITN? Not here.

I agree, Abbath "updated" the old songs to make them sound like Immortal later albums, more speed/power metal, less black metal.
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc8xMSKBbwU

December 26, 2009, 03:18:35 PM

I agree, Abbath "updated" the old songs to make them sound like Immortal later albums, more speed/power metal, less black metal.
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc8xMSKBbwU

THE FUUUUUUCK?

December 26, 2009, 05:49:46 PM
I worked for an advertising company for one and half years. And Abbath, he worked ... construction.

One had options. The other has no option except be a rock star and hope it pays the bills.

I liked "At the Heart of Winter" but think they should have re-named the band. If it had been an I album, it would have been appropriate.

Instead, it marks Immortal's decline into the latest pile of shit, which is OK musically but without significance.

If I wanted to listen to shit of that level, I'd just get into indie rock.