Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Hæthen - Wanderer (Demo 2009)

Hæthen - Wanderer (Demo 2009)
December 23, 2009, 11:12:03 PM
As much as I loathe self-promotion, I am very much interested in what my fellow Anus members have to say with regard to my latest and first musical effort.  Critical analysis is encouraged.  

I have posted the entirety of the demo in the Audio section.
Hæthen.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Re: Hæthen - Wanderer (Demo 2009)
December 25, 2009, 01:41:51 AM
Very good, I liked it! Very passionate!

There's constant intensity and strife in your music, and I like that, but that makes very hard to conclude songs. What you did in "Hearken the Breath of Solstice Calling" is a good way to conclude, but I'm not that sure with the other two songs, specially with "Wanderer"; even perhaps having in mind that you wanted to save a more conclusive ending just for the last song of the demo. 

Bands like Wolves in the Throne Room suffer loose ends in their songs as example, but then I recall some epic conclusions like the one from  Inno a Satana by Emperor, or Inn I Slottet Fra Drømmen by Burzum.

A good narrative demands not only a good sequence between riffs, but a good outcome of the song as an unity too.

Also, the snare in "Wanderer" gets too loud when you are not playing blast beats, and that undermines the guitars. Perhaps you noticed this because in the other songs the snare is much more balanced.

That's all in my opinion, I really liked it, one of the best projects from a member of this forum. I think that there's not too much to criticize here!

Edit: Although somewhat typical for a black metal band, the cover is well designed and has a distinctive and nice tonality. I like the logo and its placement in the photo.

December 25, 2009, 11:37:11 PM
I kindave liked this. It's an interesting demo because it uses the "atmospheric black metal" style that's popular now, but instead of being a bunch of random and unconnected things that sound cool but don't really fit together into anything sensible, this actually has structure.

The only thing that bugged me on my first listen through was that, like most atmospheric black metal, it mostly sticks to one mood and starts to feel a bit static. I'm not positive on this though, and I'll give it additional listens to see if my impression was accurate or not.

With the right marketing, I think you could take this somewhere. It seems better to me than most other bands in this style.

December 26, 2009, 07:13:55 AM

The only thing that bugged me on my first listen through was that, like most atmospheric black metal, it mostly sticks to one mood and starts to feel a bit static.

I noticed this too. To be honest, I love bands who are not afraid to use major tonalities in their music. This would make the project much better.